The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you mean creosote laden smoke, not "fumes"... "fumes" would be the volatiles evaporating from fresh rendered creosote, which would not be present in railroad ties.
Well... let me ask you... is it "OK" to breath any smoke?? And what do you mean by "OK"??

The "listed" health effects from breathing (coal-tar) creosote laden smoke is identical to breathing wood smoke (and many other smokes)... there ain't even any difference in the severity or length of the effects. Basically, it makes you cough, and can irritate existing respiratory problems... sucking large quantities of it in over a long enough time may cause you to develop a respiratory condition such as asthma or COPD. No different than any smoke.
So... if it's "OK" to breath wood smoke, then it's also "OK" to breath (coal-tar) creosote smoke.
But... if it's "not OK" to breath wood smoke, then it's also "not OK" to breath (coal-tar) creosote smoke.
Sort'a depends on how ya' wanna' look at it... don't it??

Here's the big scare...
(Coal-tar) creosote is a suspected carcinogen (wood dust is a known carcinogen)... there have been isolated incidences of workers handling (coal-tar) creosote over many years developing skin and (strangely) scrotum cancer (maybe they scratch their nutz without washin' their hands :D). As I understand it, no deaths have been attributed to handling (coal-tar) creosote. I'll say it again suspected carcinogen, there is no hard evidence proving a carcinogenic effect on humans... and there ain't any evidence at all (not even circumstantial) showing that breathin' smoke from burning (coal-tar) creosote is any more "unhealthy" than breathin' smoke from burning wood, leaves, or other such.

Yeah... it smells bad (to most people)... but so does burning wet leaves. Then again, some people say wood smoke smells bad. Personally, the smell of an oil furnace is more offensive to me.
(Coal-tar) creosote is... well... bituminous (called soft or black) coal.
The smoke from burning it is... well... the smoke from burning coal.
Throwing a railroad tie in your OWB is... well... throwing wood and a small amount of (soft) coal in your OWB.
It ain't any more nefarious than that.
And yes, I've burned small amounts of soft coal and (coal-tar) creosote treated wood in my appliances (shrug)... I didn't die, but I did stay warm.
It must be nice to know everything about everything. Spida pedia.

Not trying to start nothing but do some of you actually think it's ok to breathe the fumes from railroad ties. I would politely ask the man to stop and would even offer to give him some wood. Everything now would depend on his reaction. If he is polite and excepts my offer, I would help him load some wood. If he got nasty........ well you know.:D
You are a good man sir , :cheers:

Personally, the smell of an oil furnace is more offensive to me.
My buddy Mr. Wallet finds the smell of an oil furnace burning to be EXTREMELY offensive, actually makes him start to hemorrhage! :yes:...:D

Throwing a railroad tie in your OWB is... well... throwing wood and a small amount of (soft) coal in your OWB.
Coal infused wood...that's like bacon wrapped sausage...or deep fried twinkies...or chocolate covered (dancing) bananas :happybanana:

Dang it man
, and I just passed up getting a whole truck load of cut up phone poles, delivered to the house for free the other day too! :angry:

It must be nice to know everything about everything.
I work at it... I work hard at it... but I'm a long, long, long way from "everything".
The capacity for knowledge is only limited by desire to satisfy curiosity... i.e., question every-friggin'-thing.
Wasn't it you that stated "The only thing that has changed is we are more educated"??
Well, my education ain't from what I've been told... it's from questioning everything I've been told.
I quit school... dropped out during the 10th grade... mostly because "they" tried suppressing my questioning of everything... I was board out'a my friggin' gourd in school.
Ya' can only listen to so much bu!!$h!t propaganda before ya' can't stand it anymore.

I work at it... I work hard at it... but I'm a long, long, long way from "everything".
The capacity for knowledge is only limited by desire to satisfy curiosity... i.e., question every-friggin'-thing.
Wasn't it you that stated "The only thing that has changed is we are more educated"??
Well, my education ain't from what I've been told... it's from questioning everything I've been told.
I quit school... dropped out during the 10th grade... mostly because "they" tried suppressing my questioning of everything... I was board out'a my friggin' gourd in school.
Ya' can only listen to so much bu!!$h!t propaganda before ya' can't stand it anymore.

...liked the way ya used 'board' outta ya gourd, insteada' 'bored.' Classic!! Lol

This is the type of person that gives OWB owners a bad reputation. I have owned a OWB for years and burn nothing but dry wood nothing treated. He should be turned in or you can hope the winds blow his way.

This is the type of person that gives OWB owners a bad reputation. I have owned a OWB for years and burn nothing but dry wood nothing treated. He should be turned in or you can hope the winds blow his way.
Or the OWB could be ventilated with a 250 round belt of 30-06

I have owned a OWB for years and burn nothing but dry wood nothing treated. He should be turned in...

Turned in to who?? Turn in for what??
See what your mentality is here?? Because he ain't doin' it the way you do... he's has to be doin' something wrong and illegal.
Or that shooting (destroying) his personal property is warranted.

Friggin' ridiculous‼

Not sure of the spacing on .30 cal. Would that be giving er' the whole three yards?
...simply depends solely on yardage and wind direction. I've seen some hellacious shots made at crazy distances on 'moving' targets. 'Sand lot' targets.

All...I've enjoyed readin this thing throughout its lifespan so far... From an outsider looking in, ain't no OWB's, otherwise here in mid-Ga. I'm on the fence with all comments about this, neither for nor against. If ain't no county regulations, codes, etc dictatin what gets cooked, no wonder this 'supposed millionaire' is doin what the hell he's doin. Then again, I completely understand anyone who doesn't wanna have themselves, their family, etc downstream huffin that ****. You'd think a SOB would have enough common sense to burn appropriate material...but ya can't fix STUPID. Seems from the stockpile pics of ties, there's plenty of stupid goin on there. OP, balls up, go attempt a decent, tactful conversation with the idiot...if ya feel nothing was accomplished, the Goat approach gets full attention on the 'mission' now...through the cover of darkness. Mfg of the drill is your personal preference and option...bits as well.

I don't think no code, regulation, or otherwise is gonna step in no time soon and make you folks report immediately to the nearest HD, Lowes, and ya gotta walk out with a tractor-trailer load of friggin' Duraflame logs...no time soon. Just sayin and my two coins worth.

Latest posts

Back