The new stihl 662 4 mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
I gave 4 strokes a chance and they let me down, hard. Now I only ride 2 strokes. My 2 stroke is way more reliable. If it wasn't for the 4 stroke displacement handicapped they wouldn't stand a chance.
i wouldn't say that, KTM 450 4 stroke desert racers are around 80 hp nowadays. And 250+ HP for the 1000cc GP bikes
kangst

Rx7man

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Honestly, I hope your son isn't just learning on his first bike, that is a whole lot of bike to learn on.. On the other hand the bike is very well built and short of high speed crashes, it'll withstand some abuse

And the power numbers I quoted were for the 85cc

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
Then he should have a blast on it! I'm 6' and 140 lbs, and I know I'd be able to have a lot of fun on it too.
I am 5'11" and 245# ............... I will see just how durable the rear shock and chassis tube actually is

(NOT planning on any hard riding, those years have long past)

bwalker
I noticed when went to 4 stoke atv's i was able to do more laps without getting as tired because the power was not so violent ,even though the bike was heavier ,took some adapting ,like less feathering of the clutch for one ,
I find my friends yzf450 wears me out much faster than my yz250.
Two stroke fourwheeler had pretty dated designs. Motocross two strokes advanced well beyond in both power and tractability.

Rx7man

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
I had a KTM 450 XC-W (2007), didn't like the handling of it at all, felt twitchy, anything over 50 MPH on dirt roads felt like a tankslapper was in the works.. sold it before I ever had it happen. It had nice top end power, but the grunt in the bottom wasn't nearly what my 1984 XR500 had. Also, being a pretty high-strung engine, I didn't feel like it would have the durability, and repairs on that would be very expensive.

bwalker
I had a KTM 450 XC-W (2007), didn't like the handling of it at all, felt twitchy, anything over 50 MPH on dirt roads felt like a tankslapper was in the works.. sold it before I ever had it happen. It had nice top end power, but the grunt in the bottom wasn't nearly what my 1984 XR500 had. Also, being a pretty high-strung engine, I didn't feel like it would have the durability, and repairs on that would be very expensive.
Repairs in four stroke mx bikes are very expensive.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
cahoon001.jpg

bwalker
I should have added those are factory teams numbers
I doubt it. That would mean they have around 20 hp more than stock to hit 80hp. Maybe in road race trim, but not for a desert racer.
Even then, so what. A circa 1984 design, the honda cr 500 made around 60 hp stock and is stone simple. The last of the 500cc gp road racers were around 200hp.
Four strokes can never compete with two strokes on a level playing field.

Latest posts