The new Stihl caps suck!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am on the band wagon now!!!! As if I haven't had enough this weekend, used the 192 today. Filled it with bar oil went to tighten the cap, no snap, no nothing, just two pieces of what use to be a cap!! No real pressure, no force. WTF???????? I can't belive this crap!!!!! (yes I am not happy!!)
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I am on the band wagon now!!!! As if I haven't had enough this weekend, used the 192 today. Filled it with bar oil went to tighten the cap, no snap, no nothing, just two pieces of what use to be a cap!! No real pressure, no force. WTF???????? I can't belive this crap!!!!! (yes I am not happy!!)
Andy

Andy "If something bad is going to happen ,your always in the front of the line."

______

04ultra said:
Andy "If something bad is going to happen ,your always in the front of the line."

______

Ya know, it really sucks that I am not the only one to notice that!!!

Thats funny. I thought that they were pretty cool at first, but I had trouble with my 260 this weekend.
Seems that it is going in to tighten, then comes back out half a thread.
I kept thinking that I was going to spill gas all over the place.

Maybe these are in the same category as the easy-pull mechanism.
For the disabled woodsman.
:hmm3grin2orange:

fishhuntcutwood said:
Sorry Andy. I've not busted one yet, but the oil cap on my 200T gives me fits often.

Good idea maybe, just not good employment of said idea.

I hear you Jeff, never rfeally tought they were that bad myself, but this has changed my mind for sure!!! Like I said, I was dropping it in tring to line it up, as normal, and gave it a twist, and had two peices!!!!
Andy

Stihl will sale a new replacement for lets say around $40. We all know how high them stihl replacement parts can be. Just joking around redneck, hope it all works out for you. Like someone having a extra and mailing it to you. I had a extra complete carb kit laying around from rebuilding XX saws. Well someone on here was having a hard time finding one, so I just mailed him my extra one for free. Someday the good deeds will come back around. GL

sawinredneck said:
Same thing I am drinking now!!!! ($200 less than I had yesterday after getting a skisteer out of a pond)

Andy sorry to hear about the skidsteer ..You really need to keep Bevis and Butthead away from it..

sawinredneck said:
Same thing I am drinking now!!!! ($200 less than I had yesterday after getting a skisteer out of a pond)

Was gonna say that cap is probly under warranty but I notified Stihl of your skidder in the pond. They responded $5.95,LOLOLOLOL

Cut4fun said:
Stihl will sale a new replacement for lets say around $40. We all know how high them stihl replacement parts can be. Just joking around redneck, hope it all works out for you. Like someone having a extra and mailing it to you. I had a extra complete carb kit laying around from rebuilding XX saws. Well someone on here was having a hard time finding one, so I just mailed him my extra one for free. Someday the good deeds will come back around. GL

Sorry about my negativity, a few years ago I would have believed you, now, well, I cannot say that on this site!!!!
Andy

I hate hate hate hate hate those caps. They leak like seives, and it is frustrating to tighten them. And yes, both have broken on the overused MS210 a friend has (he uses that little thing for everything, since he has tendonitis, and doesn't like his 044 for little stuff).

sawinredneck said:
Sorry about my negativity, a few years ago I would have believed you, now, well, I cannot say that on this site!!!!
Andy

Hey, C-Mon now!

You know damn well if you had busted the cap off of an old Homie Id be sending you free parts right now.
Course, the homelite caps usually dont break........ not much on them does break for that matter.......

I really don't mind them but everytime I have to fiddle with the gas cap I wonder just what the point was. Just how much trouble was it to screw the old caps on and off? An idea whose time had not come IMO.

Harry K

Stihl is testing how big of a dumbass idea they can use on their saws and still have their faithful mindless drones buy them. :biggrinbounce2:

I snapped the one on my F-inlaws pole pruner head this weekend while cutting in the deer woods. Wasn't really a big deal because I still was able to seat the bottom half and gasket in the tank and ran run it w/ no leaking.

Gave my dealer a shout and he had two such caps on the shelf so I'm going to pick up one today.

We also smashed out both taillights on my F-inlaws utility trailer in the woods - folded them back flat against the framerails. It was good for a laugh both times. The've been smashed before and I guess we'll pick up replacement and spare tail-lights as well. Told him I'll weld up some fender guards and tail-light guards sometime...

And then a co-worker broke the inside passengers door handle off on my suburban...got one one of those on order...

And my wifes Honda van needs a door hinge/roller assembly - $58 and it'll be good for another 3 years (BTDT)...

I don't get particularly excited when things break...I just fix 'em and roll on.

Somehow I always miss out on the 'stress' part so many people seem to enjoy!

Chaser

Latest posts

Back