The new Stihl caps suck!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New style and old style caps.

The 660 I just bought came with the old style caps, I also bought a 440 at the same time and it came with the new style caps. Are both still available? or is Stihl still using both styles randomly until they go through their supply of old ones.
At this point, I think I'd prefer the old style, time wil tell.

Later,
Mitch

The ones that I have seen (not too many) have all worked perfectly so far, but they are not "Infantry proof", I guess.......

spacemule said:
You've got to admit that no one complains about Husky's caps. No?

Wrong again there Space!!!! A guy I cut with hates them too, not sure how many he has broken. He doesn't like his saw to leak bar oil so he overtightens the cap with his sqrench and gets pissed when they break LOL!!! What a dumbazzzz!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Wrong again there Space!!!! A guy I cut with hates them too, not sure how many he has broken. He doesn't like his saw to leak bar oil so he overtightens the cap with his sqrench and gets pissed when they break LOL!!! What a dumbazzzz!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

I found that the old Stihl oil cap would strip out where you put in your bar tool to tiigten it; soft plastic or something. The new caps won't seat at all if there is just a little too much oil, and then you have to pour some out. It's a royal pain. I liked the old ones better; extra oil just ran out when you put the cap on, and you just smeared it on the bar. The new caps are over-engineered, IMHO. Who bothers putting in bar oil to the mm? Instead, the new caps encourage you to short the bar oil so that they screw on the first try.

spacemule said:
You've got to admit that no one complains about Husky's caps. No?

Best part of the saw! But not quite enough of a selling point for me...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Chaser

I don't know if they've changed caps on the Husky since my 394 was made, but it would be incredibly difficult to be an improvement on that cap. They were designed where you did not need a wrench to tighten down. In fact, if you tightened them very tight at all you'd need a wrench to get them off. They had a huge o ring that would be pinched between the side of the threaded hole and the cap as you tightened, and they never leaked or came off. The were pretty damned near unbreakable as well. Do they still use those?

I've been having some trouble with the gas cap on my 361 (but not the bar oil cap)...I thought it was just me! I had the same style caps on my 310 but never had a lick of trouble with them. It seems like you have to be really careful to put the cap back on the right way (exactly the way it came off). It's strange that only some of them cause trouble...

I noticed that those new caps bind if the notched ring/gasket doesn't line up right. The pressure to continue to tighten against an improperly lined up ring is what I believe splits the caps. If you don't tighten it up properly the out-of-time ring allows it to leak like a sieve even though the cap stays in place after a fashion.

Chaser

Doctor Dave said:
The new caps won't seat at all if there is just a little too much oil, and then you have to pour some out.

I beleive the 660 is the only Stihl which uses old style caps. Probably since it vibrates so much!!! Dunno about 880...may never...

Chaser

SinglerM said:
The 660 I just bought came with the old style caps, I also bought a 440 at the same time and it came with the new style caps. Are both still available? or is Stihl still using both styles randomly until they go through their supply of old ones.

wagonwheeler said:
I beleive the 660 is the only Stihl which uses old style caps. Probably since it vibrates so much!!! Dunno about 880...may never...

Chaser

Way to much.............................Way ,way to much........

Would you guys just go get some POULAN caps and forget it, they work great and NEVER break.:hmm3grin2orange: Just the newer saws break from what I hear here. :popcorn:

THALL10326 said:
Was gonna say that cap is probly under warranty but I notified Stihl of your skidder in the pond. They responded $5.95,LOLOLOLOL

I wish!!! It was $7.95 and tax!!!!!!! No warantee, no nothing, carried the saw in and he wouldn't even offer to put it on! What do you do, just grin and walk away!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I wish!!! It was $7.95 and tax!!!!!!! No warantee, no nothing, carried the saw in and he wouldn't even offer to put it on! What do you do, just grin and walk away!
Andy

It's only money...You cant take it with you... :hmm3grin2orange:

When I went to replace the caps on the 1st 361 that I bought (replacement was because the owner cut the tethers off, not because they leaked) the owner of the Stihl dealer told me to leave a little air space (don't fill to the top) saying that this helps them go on easier!

It would have been nice if Stihl would have somehoiw left threads in there so that the orignal caps could be used!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back