The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, all from one bunch. As you can see from the photos, that big bunch went from the tree to my truck.

Actually I will get nothing, I take it too my son, he and his wife then put a little ribbon on a twig and sell them for about 4.00 to various places including the local Christmas tree lots. I think there are a lot of little twigs on that bunch so it will be interesting to see how he does.

So, if you live in NW Atlanta I hope you are not reading this, otherwise, go for it.

I have heard stories of people shooting that stuff out of the trees, but from the size of the cut I made to get that down you would have had to use a cannon. I would be interested to know how long it takes for something that size to grow and will it grow back. Now that the parasite is removed will the tree CODIT or does it go deep into the limb and will return. I understand, with the right conditions, it gets started from bird droppings.
Anyway, I had fun and will likely be on the hunt for more.

We have a quite a bit of it up here, but the bunches are usually about 1/4 the size of that one. Once in a while you find one that big, and sometimes an entire tree infested with it.

I've read that some species of Mistletoe will grow back from the roots that are left in the tree, if I remember correctly, the type that grows in North America is one of them.

If I had the patience to sit in one place long enough to sell the stuff I could make some decent money, but standing still that long is more than I can take.

Today I spent a few hours with a few other folks from around town at the annual "wood bee" this is volunteer event where people cut split and stack firewood which is distributed to folks in the area who have a hard time keeping up with fuel costs....A guy from the local paper was taking pictures while I sharpened my chain between tanks of fuel and I got distracted and lost my place on the chain....My first cut after this sharpening effort produced a nice smooth curve....Ug!! Oh well good effort for a good cause....

while I sharpened my chain between tanks of fuel and I got distracted and lost my place on the chain....My first cut after this sharpening effort produced a nice smooth curve....Ug!!.

Makes no sense,, lost your place? How? A sharpen tooth has a shine,,,,besides, that is not why you cut a curve.
Jeff

Today I spent a few hours with a few other folks from around town at the annual "wood bee" this is volunteer event where people cut split and stack firewood which is distributed to folks in the area who have a hard time keeping up with fuel costs....A guy from the local paper was taking pictures while I sharpened my chain between tanks of fuel and I got distracted and lost my place on the chain....My first cut after this sharpening effort produced a nice smooth curve....Ug!! Oh well good effort for a good cause....

Stayalert, yeah, right. Lol

Anyway,

That curved cut is most likely the result of a burr on the bar, hanging as it goes through the wood, not from a chain that's sharper on one side.

Stayalert, yeah, right. Lol

Anyway,

That curved cut is most likely the result of a burr on the bar, hanging as it goes through the wood, not from a chain that's sharper on one side.

I was being alert I just er was er distracted.....Good to know about the bar, I'll check it out....Had flat filed burrs off bar the night before and was cutting straight all morning...thanks...

Tapatalk showed up as "so how'd you loose your place" so I'm like WTF who list their place!?!? The come to find out its about a damn chain!
Oh ya I put a bogey wheel on my sled

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Goober,, it is about golf,, I never did it and I gotta on Tuesday!
Jeff

Oh then that's easy! Never putt from the rough. Be the ball. Wear a contrasting colors and stay as drunk as you can while still being able to drive the buggy. That's all there is to it.

yeah I mean if you look at the chain to can see the teeth you've allready filed. I usually mark a tooth before I start though just to make it easier.

Well at least I did something today....Even if it made no sense, it still helped some people. It helped people on the forum too....It afforded them yet another opportunity to express their superior intellect, tact, wit, and post count. Congratulations, I remain in awe.

I was being alert I just er was er distracted.....Good to know about the bar, I'll check it out....Had flat filed burrs off bar the night before and was cutting straight all morning...thanks...

You might want to replace the bar, it's prolly filed down so far the chain is flopped over side ways instead of riding in the groove.

Last edited:
Yeah, Newbs think they can file, they dont realize they can't.
Jeff

Can't file eh? Guess I'm not a newb anymore then.
ezynyre2.jpg

I have about 8 chains that look every bit as good, or better than that.

This was more than a day project, closer to 6 weeks.
This fall our club helped to put in 12 miles of new snowmobile trail thru the woods. Our task was to take care of the private lands and to sign the entire trail. The private land was about 8 miles, very little across fields, and some stands had narrow trails which we widen. We were to cut the timber to the land owners direction, some wanted fire wood and some wanted logs. I think that the other club members were glad when I showed up to start since their big saw was a Stihl about 40 or 45cc with a 16" bar. If fact they had two of them to cut with and that was it as far as equipment goes for them and none had any safety equipment except sunglasses and gloves. They didn't quite know what to make of it when I pulled up with my enclosed trailer on the back of my diesel pickup. None of them knew that I got paid to do this before I retired (I'm new to the club). The equipment that I brought were all Jonsered saws (that is what I deal with on the side) and included a 930 Super 28", 670 West Coast 24" two 630 Super's 20" and a 16" 451ev, for limbing. The guy who used the 451ev to do the limbing bought it from me when we were finished, he liked it that much. In addition I had all the other equipment, including the only First Aid Kit, that they needed including a ATV and trailer to haul what we needed around the job site, which as you can imagine was long and narrow.
Granted most of it was small Poplar 4 to 20" diameter but there was quite a bit of the bigger hardwoods. I had two Oak that I had to cut from both sides with the 28" 930. But most of the trees I handled were hardwoods in the 16" to 26" range. At one point I had a number of large (20" to 26") Maples felled to cross one another down the middle of the trail so we could it into smaller section without cutting into the ground. Save a lot of time and sweat that day. In some of the tight stuff they were amazed, on how if the land owner wanted fire wood, I could bring the tree down vertically in 6' sections. It was fun teaching them and I gained a lot of respect from the old timers in the club. The most important thing is that we made a trail that was needed badly in that area and will be used hopefully for generations to come. Of course the most important thing is that nobody got hurt no even a sliver.

Greg

Took down a very dead Pine.
Probably 2 years dead, bark flaked off easily, protected an out building and nearby fence.
For safety I set a double crotch in two nearby pines and suspended a single line to my harness.

Animated thumbnail
View attachment 265105

thumbnail
View attachment 265133

Last edited:
wheelbarrow'd a cord of wood up a hill so steep a 4 wheel drive F-350 couldnt make. It sucked, a lot. Raked about 4 acres at that same place. Sometimes I wish my girlfriend would give me my boys back from her purse for just one day so I could tell the boss to eff his hat and get real equipment or better ideas to move wood. :bang:

Two pines with the tops ripped out of them during the tornado super outbreak, 1 about 40 feet up, the other about 50 feet

This one looked solid at first, but I noticed signs of insect infestation about 3/4 of the way up as I was delimbing it, so I knocked on the trunk, it sounded like it was hollow. Just within two feet of where I was cutting off limbs I noticed where a wood pecker had started a hole, so I decide it would be best to leave what was in the very top and just drop it.

Here's the spot where I noticed how bad it was and knocked on the trunk. It snapped in two here when it hit the ground. The arrows show where I was delimbing when I noticed wood pecker hole.

View attachment 266003

Here's where it was torn off by the storm.

View attachment 266002

The whole thing, and the home owner checking out my gear.

View attachment 266000

I used a block attached to the base of a tree to redirect my pull line.

View attachment 265999

Then I cleaned up some of the mess.

View attachment 266001

Latest posts

Back