The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own a 440... The rakers are low, trust me, the picture is deceiving

Turret Bearing fun!

I replaced my turret bearing on my bucket truck this last weekend and it was not fun at all. First of all buying the damn bearing was three thousand bucks, getting the boom supported and lifted off the truck was no fun. Even more fun was trying to get the bolts out of the bearing on the top and the bottom halves with all of the retaining compound sucked. There was no room for an impact either. But after all I paid my buddy with pizza, beer, and 350 bucks, alot beter than paying the shop $8-10,000 that they quoted me. I hope i will never have to do that again!

I replaced my turret bearing on my bucket truck this last weekend and it was not fun at all. First of all buying the damn bearing was three thousand bucks, getting the boom supported and lifted off the truck was no fun. Even more fun was trying to get the bolts out of the bearing on the top and the bottom halves with all of the retaining compound sucked. There was no room for an impact either. But after all I paid my buddy with pizza, beer, and 350 bucks, alot beter than paying the shop $8-10,000 that they quoted me. I hope i will never have to do that again!

Well, good job and hats off to ya!
Now get it inspected!
Jeff :msp_smile:

I didn't know white pines got that tall

While we were cleaning up the site, I decided to measure the fall zone of the biggest tree to see how tall it was. At first look I thought it was around 80 feet, after measuring from the stump to where the tip tops hit it turned out to be a little over 120 feet.

While we were cleaning up the site, I decided to measure the fall zone of the biggest tree to see how tall it was. At first look I thought it was around 80 feet, after measuring from the stump to where the tip tops hit it turned out to be a little over 120 feet.

You old guys make all the big trees look small!! :msp_wink:
Jeff

Well done.

I have found this app to be very accurate while the tree is still standing for measuring height as well.

New Height-Distance app

Well done.

I have found this app to be very accurate while the tree is still standing for measuring height as well.

New Height-Distance app

I haven't tried any apps yet, but I used the pole method(didn't measure the distance), and got within about 15 feet of where the top hit. I was 15 feet short that way, but the ground sloped upwards a little so that probably accounts for most of the error.

Snow

Saw 4 power wires get ripped off a pole next to the building I'm plowing. One by one big blue bang.

Setting two pullies like that does more than share the load - it redirects the *force* of the load so that it bisects the line betweein the in and out line of the pulley.

A knuckle boom truck is worth it's weight in gold

Hauled away the logs from the pines we did last week, 30 minutes with the knuckle boom and they were on their way to the log yard.

Brrrrrrr it was cold and windy, but seeing those logs leave made it feel a little warmer.

View attachment 268944

Going out to do 6 monster trees today. 2 ash 2 white pine an oak and a black walnut. Suppose to prune 5 other trees on the property but that might have to wait for another day.

Worked from dawn till dusk. Man am I beat! Lots of spectators and a guy down the road needs some deadwooding done so ill have to look at that tomorrow. The pruning didnt get done as I expected. Back tomorrow. Pics to come of the property with/without trees.

Had to go to the rescue of a nice older lady with some tree damage.

Turns out, last week I was away and right before I left, a wind storm did some local damage. While away, the guy that rents the cottage owned by the nice older lady calls to ask to have the branch removed, (worked there in the past). Told him my situation and he said he could wait. The cottage owner, older lady, calls "yellow & green" :mad2: in a moment of stupidity and implied despair and they came right out. Loosely tied off the branch till they could get to it. I got home, branch still not removed so renter calls again. Told him no problem, I'm home and can do it. Just as I'm making plans, he calls back, says owner scheduled "yellow & green" :mad2: to do it. She agreed to $1200 for simply removing a branch!! I told her I could do it for much cheaper and she had the job reduced to only dropping the branch and I would clean it up, hoping for a reduced bill from "yellow & green" :mad2: . They dropped it to $995, renter said it took them all but 20 minutes, all by hand and ladders!! Felt awful for her, told her I would remove brush, remove the remaining 75% of the tree, give her the chips for her gardens and give the firewood to her neighbors for $600. She's all happy happy happy :clap:while at the same time furious at "yellow & green" :mad2: for taking advantage like they did. One things for sure, she will NEVER call them again, despair or not. And she has a lot of other trees in the three propertys she owns. :msp_w00t:

Check was sent in the mail yesterday. :rock:

i had a cypress tree to take down today. it was in the middle of a treeline bordering fields on both sides nothing around. the top came out in a storm this summer. it had a slight lean towards one field. i decided i would try and get it to fall the other way. i cut my notch, about 1/3 of the way through, all good. started making my back cut got all the way to what should have been the hinge didn't fall. DOH. okay came back and managed to get it down the exact opposite way with out getting the bar stuck, breaking anything, or hurting myself. lesson learned do it the easy way and don't be a showoff.

Latest posts

Back