The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks smoke... I still don't get your boomerang thing. Aren't u just throwing the throw ball over a log then pulling it back quick so it bounces off the top of the log and back to you? What were u showing with the two throwballs over the log?
Hey youngbuck, good you are not frozen. Just kidding you know, I like the cold weather too, can't ride that snowmobile of yours in the summer heat now can you.
I'll answer your last question first. The two throwballs over the log came from a little test I was doing to see if I could slick the line up a little better than the stock line. I coated it with some urethane floor finish and it slide across the branch better than new. This is helpful with the boomerang technique. As you know, when doing a traverse you have to get your line over to the other tree AND BACK. methods are with a grapnel hook, pole, swing or other.
The boomerang technique allows one to throw the bag over the limb and then get it to return from UNDER the limb thus competing the circle over and back with your throw line. The throw bag never touches the limb. Notice when the bag comes back I have both ends of the line in hand. In that last shot 90' of throw line went out in order for me to catch the throw bag when it returned.
[video=youtube;9c7ri985hLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7ri985hLA[/video]

In this video, skip to time 11:10, I placed a line about 15 feet away.

Then I connect my climbing line to the throw line and set up the traverse. I realize the practice I was doing is on the ground and in the tree is much different but the practice has helped. I did a left handed boomerang today to get a positioning lanyard out on another branch if front of me about 15 feet.

These may be things you already know so I don't mean to offend you if you do. It is just something very useful I have learned lately. I think the trick was invented by G.F. Beranek but I have not seen it done, it just made since to me when I heard about it.

Just curious, how do you (other others here) get your line to another tree.

Does anyone else use this technique?

squirrel

Yesterday I was climbing this really nice Beech, checking out a defect in the tree before I went higher, it looked like the perfect home for a squirrel but after making what I thought was enough disturbance I figured no one was home. I started putting my phone in there to take pictures and then look at the pictures for a better look of the defect without putting my face in the hole. Good thing, the squirrel came flying out, jumped passed my shoulder and took a 35' leap to the ground. I'm probably lucky it did not have babies although I think I would have seen them on the floor of the nest prior to this.
Anyone ever get a good bite from one of these guys? I know it must happen, those little buggers just have SHARP all over them. What about continued damage to the tree?

View attachment 277466

Thanks smoke... I still don't get your boomerang thing. Aren't u just throwing the throw ball over a log then pulling it back quick so it bounces off the top of the log and back to you? What were u showing with the two throwballs over the log?

He is sling shoting the throw ball back after it passes around the limb. This technigue is demonstated in the working climber dvd series. Its really easy.

All you do it throw the ball over a horizontal branch, as it passes over the branch, you grab the line, which makes the throw ball swing around the branch, as it comes back around towards you, you release the throw line, and the momentum of the ball contines back to you. Try it, its fun.

I have used it a few times to get branches i had to rig out that where out to reach.

......... Its really easy............
......... Try it, its fun.
I have used it..............

It is incredibly easy and very useful with some limitations so I find it surprising that it is not used and spoken of more often. There is SO much you can do with that throw bag and many cleaver ways to get your line where you need it.

Hey youngbuck, good you are not frozen. Just kidding you know, I like the cold weather too, can't ride that snowmobile of yours in the summer heat now can you.

Oh im frozen, or at least moving like I am after that tree today lol. I could drive that sled in the summer but people may look at me strange(r) than they already do ;) I am def going to practice this trick. Looks awfully handy. I would have said it couldnt be done before I saw your vid. Reminds me of a swinging object, it will not swing back all the way from where it was swung from, may come close but never just as far. One of that guys laws ya know? :msp_wink: Looks like your lube works, I think ill just get a bigger throwball, mine decides to stay in the tree quite often, especially in those ash that I love so much :bang: You ever climb any deciduous trees smoke?

Yesterday I was climbing this really nice Beech, checking out a defect in the tree before I went higher, it looked like the perfect home for a squirrel but after making what I thought was enough disturbance I figured no one was home. I started putting my phone in there to take pictures and then look at the pictures for a better look of the defect without putting my face in the hole. Good thing, the squirrel came flying out, jumped passed my shoulder and took a 35' leap to the ground. I'm probably lucky it did not have babies although I think I would have seen them on the floor of the nest prior to this.
Anyone ever get a good bite from one of these guys? I know it must happen, those little buggers just have SHARP all over them. What about continued damage to the tree?

View attachment 277466

Looks theres a deciduous there! Did ya get past your squirrel home? Only come into contact with bees so far. Last post on here tonight I swear!

Heres the video. Felling giant maple - YouTube I must say I havent seen a maple this size. Created a freakin hurricane when she landed.:givebeer:

That Maple had a nice shaped crown. It must have been a beautiful tree in it's day.

Here's a guy that I enjoy watching from this site in the logging section I believe. This guy has more than a few big trees under is belt. I also get a kick from his sidekick "Ugly Hound" carrying around is wedges. Mine are always pulling my cutting chaps down.
Take a look!

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/211006.htm

Greg

Last edited:
Headed out to drop a couple juniper trees this morning...36 and raining. Saw is sharp and ready to go...where did I put that rain gear?

Don't mind workin in the rain a little...at least it melts the snow away!

Was in Ohio a few weeks back, it was 6 degrees and I thought it was a tad cold to climb. I Warmed up fairly quick though once I was in the tree. But, Brrrrrr.... Think I'll take wet over cold. How bout you guys?

Completely soaked to the bone today. Rain n snow mix all day. If ya slow down for just a second your border line hypothermia! I'd take cold over wet any day. Unless its summer then I'd take wet. Nothin makes me more miserable than bein soaked. As long as you work and dress right the cold is actually nice sometimes.

Completely soaked to the bone today. Rain n snow mix all day. If ya slow down for just a second your border line hypothermia! I'd take cold over wet any day. Unless its summer then I'd take wet. Nothin makes me more miserable than bein soaked. As long as you work and dress right the cold is actually nice sometimes.

Get yourself a good wool Mackinaw and a pair of heavy wool pants. That's what I used in the rain and cold back in the day. Wool will keep you warm even when wet and it does breathe.

Greg

Polyester medium weight long johns are the best starting point for cold and wet.. Having spent the bulk of my career in a rain forest , cold slushy rain is the norm not the exception. Cotton will get you killed. Winter, Stihl or Husky cutting pants work very good. I wear polar teck or polar fleece. Under my suspenders then polar fleece pull over/ sweat shirt. The only cotton I have onmeis a snot rag to clean my glasses. . Sierra Trading Post and Cabelas have some real good prices on long johns and pull over fleeces.

Was wearing them with 1 set under down to 25 below this winter. They were OK. I wear bunny boots in the winter so my feet stayed warm Yup. And something people don't realize is polyester long johns will last for many years. I wear long johns 7-8 months a year in the Interior. Longer on the coast and if I'm working in Prudhoe then pretty much year round.
The elastic waist band wears out years before the material does.
Wash them on warm Never Hot and dry on Delicate .

Last fall I got a pair of Labonville cutting pants with the pads at Harold's Logging Supply, just south of Bangor Maine. They are polyester and are very comfortable.

Back