The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm BacK! AND I Worked from a ladder!!

Oh the horrors!! working from a ladder!!! I'm back from my Winter Ski Patrolling....Easing into my tree work with the pruning of some Apple trees......Felco hand pruner + Silky saw = snip snip zip zip......Time to set up my regulars and revisit new jobs I had lined up in the Fall......Still have snow on the ground (snowed last nights too......) but I'm pretty stoked for tree work that I have on my radar and to get my arms back in shape.....(I telemark ski for ski patrol so my legs get/stay strong)

Rob in Vermont

Secured a white pine removal today. Taking out 3 sections of old stockade fence, falling 45' white pine into back yard, clean up tree and branches, leave stump behind, $650. It's nice to get a decent job, seems like the low ballers and family discounts are everywhere lately.:eek2:

Just in case the tree gig does not work for me, I have a back up plan.
Practiced today at the San Francisco pier.

[video=youtube;9iHYndoVpmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iHYndoVpmw[/video]

Well I made up a RADS today. Set up a line in the Arctic entry. Went up and down a bunch of times. Tho I've been carpentering all winter and doing some firewood logging I think I'm gonna feel this tomorrow.
I still need to get an ID. The Gri Gri works, but as I'm using 1/2" it's not as smooth as I think the Id will be.
I'm going to work on figuring a way to incorporate a chest ascender or mount the belay from a chest position.

Hey Custom, I checked out a vid u have on set on you tube. Cool.

Well I made up a RADS today. Set up a line in the Arctic entry. Went up and down a bunch of times. Tho I've been carpentering all winter and doing some firewood logging I think I'm gonna feel this tomorrow.
I still need to get an ID. The Gri Gri works, but as I'm using 1/2" it's not as smooth as I think the Id will be.
I'm going to work on figuring a way to incorporate a chest ascender or mount the belay from a chest position.

Hey Custom, I checked out a vid u have on set on you tube. Cool.

RADS is my favourite method of going vertical. I use a large ID, and the annoying thing about it with RADS is the ID's handle often seems to rub against my footloops causing the handle to flop up and down. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Petzl Rig, I've heard elsewhere that the Rig's handle doesn't flop about like the ID's does.

IMO Half inch XTC works well in the ID, but poison ivy, 11.7 mm, is much smoother-though it seems like even a small amount of dirt on the poison ivy will cause the ID to act wonky and not grab immediately when weight is applied to it.

Last edited:
Can it just be clipped on the other way? I want one because its made for 1/2" line. The big one anyway.
Do u use a revolver caribiner . I need to get some more micro pulleys . What ascender do u use?

I suppose the ID could be clipped on with the handle facing away, which would eliminate the footloop interference, but I've never done it that way because it seems like the handle then would be more liable to make contact with the tree.

I use a CMI expedition ascender with CMI 'classic' micropulley clipped in to the top hole with an AM'd biner, although there is some rubbing going on micropulley vs ascender. A revolver instead of a micropulley seems like a superb alternative FMPOV, I dont have a revolver yet but am definitely getting one for that purpose soon.

I love contract climbing.

Can I just say that?

No clean up, no limb dragging, no dump fees... All I have to cover is my insurance premium. No crew to pay WC on. My "client" has his brush draggers covered so they aren't my responsibility. I show up, put the wood on the ground, pack up, and leave $500 richer and make it home for lunch. I still work my other job for benefits but one or two of these half day cut'n chucks a week is sure sweet.

If only it was this way all the time. Life is good.

Last edited:
The Rig does? I thot it was for 7/16 . My GriGri is kinda tough to pull the line thru so I thot the Rig would be the same. Good to know, they r what, 60$ less . That's a couple binders and a micro pulley.

I run it on samson hivee safety blueand it does fine. Course it likes poison ivy better, but that's probably next month.

Waste of Time?

I sat in a truck this week listening to the radio watching water run out of fire hydrants till they clear up, shut them off, and off to the next.... repeat this two hundred plus times. Doing all of this while thinking of all the tree jobs and stumps I have lined up for after work and the weekend. The bucket truck needs a water pump, lights fixed on the trailer, glow plug controller on the old 7.3 Diesel, and all of the other stuff I really would rather be doing than sitting on my ass at this day job feeling like I am wasting my life and becoming dumber and dumber by the day. Thank God i have my side job to keep my mind stimulated. I have twenty five stumps lined up trees to remove, prune jobs, and backhoe work to do. I worked storm work the last two weeks of nights and weekends 25 miles down the road and grossed more in those two weeks than I did at my day job in four months. I have everything paid for, S-185 with lots of attatchments, 4100D grinder, F-350 dump, F-350 flatbed plowtruck, 1996 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel,14,000 lb dump trailer, 95 F-800 with an AA600, 40 ft tripple Axle gooseneck, two snow plows, 555C ford backhoe extend a hoe. Lots of climbing and rigging gear. All this with lots of ambition. I work this dayjob thats supposed to be for a fat old 50 year old man that stuffs doughnuts in thier face. Its not for me. Im thinking pretty hard on going out on my own... Sorry about my rant Ha Ha

I love contract climbing.

Can I just say that?

No clean up, no limb dragging, no dump fees... All I have to cover is my insurance premium. No crew to pay WC on. My "client" has his brush draggers covered so they aren't my responsibility. I show up, put the wood on the ground, pack up, and leave $500 richer and make it home for lunch. I still work my other job for benefits but one or two of these half day cut'n chucks a week is sure sweet.

If only it was this way all the time. Life is good.

I think its fair to say that since you started this thread, you CAN just say that.....take the good with a $mile.

Back