The newest firewood hauling addition: a garden tractor trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
In my ongoing process of firewooding tools and equipment, I decided to build myself a little trailer. I've done log arches, and they certainly have their place; sometimes it's nice though to just cut, buck, and load out in the woods. It's great having our old dump bed truck out there, but it just doesn't fit everywhere; you're still sometimes hoofing rounds back to where the truck's parked. Thus, a small trailer to tow nimbly behind the garden tractors seemed worth building.

The other night at work, I grabbed some scrap odds and ends of steel and got to making the platform. The main frame is 2x3 3/16ths wall box. Bent up some quick stake pockets and we're in business!

GDra0.jpg

In the essence of keeping the cost at nearly free dollars, I cut apart my old (first) log arch and utilized the wheel/hub/spindle assemblies. Since the spindles were already through welded in the 2x3 box frame of the arch, I cut about 16" or so of that and welded the whole things to the underside of the trailer frame. Then using a coupler I had, I made a quick tongue and called it good; well, other than welding on four tabs to secure the pressure treated deck.

Mpe6B.jpg

Though mitering the front corners, I left the box tube open at the back so I can stick in frame extensions for hauling longer items if/when the need arises.

C5vKm.jpg

Now it just needs paint, deck, and wood sides. Then bring on the firewood!! :rock:

Very nice! I haul with a cheap 4-wheel cart from TSC and the Wheel Horse - it fits in places better and there's less damage hauling it down to the house - but the cart is crap and falling apart after only a few years. And you cannot back up a 4-wheel cart. Something sturdy with decent wheels like you're building would be work very well..

Sure you can, but it takes practice. Just remember that the front wheels on the wagon will go the same direction as the front wheels on the tractor.
I'm pretty decent at backing trailers, but this one is hopeless. I dunno if it's the geometry or what, but you can only keep it going for a short distance and then the front axle jacks. It's OK, the thing won't last long enough for me to bother figuring it out or modifying it.

Beautiful work. As soon as my 4 wheeler is back up and running I'm building one for it.

Thanks for the kind words :cheers:

I did place the wheels further back from center than what would be considered a "normal" weight distribution split for a couple reasons: 1) I wanted more tongue weight when loaded for additional traction and 2) so the tongue wouldn't be too light when using extensions or hanging longer logs off the back. If needed, it wouldn't be much work to cut these spindles off and weld in new ones more forward (heck they're only $10 a piece or so), so I'm not out much if I've misjudged. I think it'll work pretty well for my uses though. Both my GTs are capable of hanging heavy tillers off the back, so I don't think I'll be asking too much of the rear axles.

I do find I like the taller tires for woods work. I have another log arch with shorter turf style tires, and although they do alright, they certainly don't roll over downed limbs, flush stumps, and roots quite as easily as these do.

Growing up we had a trailer similar to what yours will be. The tall tires go through the rough stuff nice. Yes, some more tongue weight was better for us too. The low height was nice to get the big rounds up onto. We would even put it behind the Ford 8n that had chains on to get the big stuff out of tough areas. Good job.

In my ongoing process of firewooding tools and equipment, I decided to build myself a little trailer. I've done log arches, and they certainly have their place; sometimes it's nice though to just cut, buck, and load out in the woods. It's great having our old dump bed truck out there, but it just doesn't fit everywhere; you're still sometimes hoofing rounds back to where the truck's parked. Thus, a small trailer to tow nimbly behind the garden tractors seemed worth building.

The other night at work, I grabbed some scrap odds and ends of steel and got to making the platform. The main frame is 2x3 3/16ths wall box. Bent up some quick stake pockets and we're in business!

GDra0.jpg

In the essence of keeping the cost at nearly free dollars, I cut apart my old (first) log arch and utilized the wheel/hub/spindle assemblies. Since the spindles were already through welded in the 2x3 box frame of the arch, I cut about 16" or so of that and welded the whole things to the underside of the trailer frame. Then using a coupler I had, I made a quick tongue and called it good; well, other than welding on four tabs to secure the pressure treated deck.

Mpe6B.jpg

Though mitering the front corners, I left the box tube open at the back so I can stick in frame extensions for hauling longer items if/when the need arises.

C5vKm.jpg

Now it just needs paint, deck, and wood sides. Then bring on the firewood!! :rock:

Those are some really nice welds......That trailer should last a lifetime and hold some serious weight. Send some pix weight you get er' painted.

I move all my wood with a 13 horse Husq tractor and a Jackson cart. Makes no mess, gets into tight spaces, and lasts longer than I do.

nice job!

makes mine look rather chincy...lol i used a cement mixing tub and made a frame under it with a tilt option:

trailer2.jpg

Nuzzy, to make your trailer better to haul longer wood just make a sliding tongue on the front. Just 2 pieces of tubing with holes so you can adjust the tongue length. Easier than having long stuff hanging out the back. Same idea as your truck receiver, a tube sliding within a tube, you can change a 3' long tongue into 5'-6" easily. If you want to make the hitch 10' long that will work too. My firewood trailer has about 18" of adjustment on it. It's an old hay wagon frame. Most farm wagons use a type of adjustable quick hitch system.

Be sure to show us some pictures of the finished trailer maybe hooked to a tractor.

Well technically it IS hooked up to a tractor in the garage pic. :msp_razz: But yes, I will certainly update with the finished pics and a full shot of the whole setup. Hopefully some action shots too! :D

i used a cement mixing tub and made a frame under it with a tilt option:

That looks like a fine (and very useful) trailer! Whatever works to get the job done! It would be great to have a tilt option; though in keeping with my heavier tongue weight, that would pretty much dictate a powered lift for me; an electric ram could work, but maybe that would be a good excuse to hook up remote hydraulics... :hmm3grin2orange: Wouldn't be very hard to add a subframe to this trailer. Oh the possibilities! :laugh:

Nuzzy, to make your trailer better to haul longer wood just make a sliding tongue on the front. Just 2 pieces of tubing with holes so you can adjust the tongue length. Easier than having long stuff hanging out the back. Same idea as your truck receiver, a tube sliding within a tube, you can change a 3' long tongue into 5'-6" easily. If you want to make the hitch 10' long that will work too. My firewood trailer has about 18" of adjustment on it. It's an old hay wagon frame. Most farm wagons use a type of adjustable quick hitch system.

Interesting idea; it would allow the load to be centered more rather than hanging off one end. Of course I could always make an additional long tongued two wheeled setup to tow behind the trailer with a hitch like some of those log trailers! That is, if I found myself wanting to pull longer logs more often.

Man Nuzzy, I wish I lived close to you. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Excellent work! I see you live in MI, how bout I paint your cart:
gobluesmall.jpg

Man Nuzzy, I wish I lived close to you. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Excellent work! I see you live in MI, how bout I paint your cart:
gobluesmall.jpg

Looks like you got a little sheet on the mower and trailer!!! :msp_tongue:
Go Bucks!!

Nice pile - I keep my boys busy with wood also. They actually seem to enjoy for the first 30 minutes or so!

Great fab work Nuzzy! Do you do any special order work? I'm looking for a 4 wheel trailer to pull behind the quad approx 4x6. I want to get rid of the tongue weight.

I see you live in MI, how bout I paint your cart:

My mom would LOVE it! She graduated there in '70 I believe :hmm3grin2orange:

I on the other hand, have no allegiances to college sports, grew up in Washington State, and love the Indianapolis Colts. Go figure. :laugh:

Great fab work Nuzzy! Do you do any special order work? I'm looking for a 4 wheel trailer to pull behind the quad approx 4x6. I want to get rid of the tongue weight.

At work, we build mail order jeep bumpers and armor, so we're not a general "each project different" welding shop so to speak. Now, as for off the clock stuff, I've really only ever done projects for myself. That being said, if it's metal, I can cut it and burn it together :D We could prolly come up with something.

Back