The newest firewood hauling addition: a garden tractor trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't have a chance to get my wood and paint today, but just had to play with the new toy a little :D

kmZjR.jpg

gzJVw.jpg

Nuzzy, to make your trailer better to haul longer wood just make a sliding tongue on the front. Just 2 pieces of tubing with holes so you can adjust the tongue length. Easier than having long stuff hanging out the back. Same idea as your truck receiver, a tube sliding within a tube, you can change a 3' long tongue into 5'-6" easily. If you want to make the hitch 10' long that will work too. My firewood trailer has about 18" of adjustment on it. It's an old hay wagon frame. Most farm wagons use a type of adjustable quick hitch system.

man thats a great idea im cutting on mine t6his week,,learn so much on here:rock:

Looks like you put a lot of thought in to that trailer. I like the larger tires. Makes going through the woods a lot easier. It looks like it's made strong enough to take some serious weight. Nice Job!!

Very nice work! Makes me want to re-do mine. I used an old axle instead of stubs. Had to cut it down and reweld. No suspension and smaller tires are on mine. I built the wheel base to match the width of my atv. Mine was built with really scrappy scraps. I even used old pipe for rails! Looks like I have another project for this summer. KD

It looks like it's made strong enough to take some serious weight. Nice Job!!

Well, I can tell you this much: it's far more stout than my C-channel car hauler trailer! :laugh::laugh: I think the weak point might be the two 1750lb trailer spindles. :hmm3grin2orange:

What bumper company do you build for??

JcrOffroad

We do bumpers, sliders, body and undercarriage armor, steering upgrades, and some parts and pieces. Used to do more local mechanical work, build cages, and build full rigs, but the money is just better putting time and energy in the mail order stuff. There's five of us there now; it's a good work environment; plus, I get to fill my hair brained schemes for tractor toys! :biggrinbounce2:

These little trailers you guys have are great assets in the woods. Perfect size with being able to get in tight spots and still have some payload.

My dad built this trailer back in 1982 and I actually have it licensed for on the road - keep it under 45 mph. It is made out of an old front car axle and frame. I added taller sides to it last winter. It holds as much weight as I can get on it. The axle could be set back a little further - I have to front load it to get any tongue weight. It trails poorly at speed and can get squirly with the atv and not enough traction. The tractor works quite well in the woods with it and chains. IMG_8046.JPG IMG_4611.JPG

These little trailers you guys have are great assets in the woods. Perfect size with being able to get in tight spots and still have some payload.

My dad built this trailer back in 1982 and I actually have it licensed for on the road - keep it under 45 mph. It is made out of an old front car axle and frame. I added taller sides to it last winter. It holds as much weight as I can get on it. The axle could be set back a little further - I have to front load it to get any tongue weight. It trails poorly at speed and can get squirly with the atv and not enough traction. The tractor works quite well in the woods with it and chains. View attachment 511092 View attachment 511093

Needs a longer hitch, would trail better.

Sent from hoskvarna hills

I'm pretty decent at backing trailers, but this one is hopeless. I dunno if it's the geometry or what, but you can only keep it going for a short distance and then the front axle jacks. It's OK, the thing won't last long enough for me to bother figuring it out or modifying it.
The shorter the wheel base the harder, I was a farm boy and was pretty good at backing a four wheel hay wagon, but short gravity boxes were harder. My dad could back up hay baler with a wagon behind, never was able to get the hang of that.

Very nice! I haul with a cheap 4-wheel cart from TSC and the Wheel Horse - it fits in places better and there's less damage hauling it down to the house - but the cart is crap and falling apart after only a few years. And you cannot back up a 4-wheel cart. Something sturdy with decent wheels like you're building would be work very well..

I have a commercial garden tractor trailer from WalMart, a 4-wheeler wagain from the internet, and a home built 2-wheel cart that I pull by hand. I put a ball on the front bumper guard on the tractor, makes getting the log splitter and 2 wheel trailer into tight spots very easy.

Back