The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells nice. Does cedar chair as easy as it splits? I hire a guy with a massive drum grinder to chew up stumps on my property, and I love it when he hits a red cedar. Beautiful chips and smells great. I've bucked a lot of blowdown cedar, but don't remember ever cutting one down:msp_confused:

Congrats northman! One step closer to full time logging:rock:

Thankee... now if I can just line up more work...

As far as ceders concerned I've never had one chair. Haven't cut a whole bunch of em either, just a load or two. I think most of the trouble with ceders is they break easy when they land, especially the big old ones. As easy as ceder splits, it breaks too so hold wood needs to be really thick to cause a chair not that it doesn't happen just gotta be a real moron to pull it off, That and ceders in these parts tend to grow pretty straight, not a whole lot of heavy leaners. The other problem with logging them is all the damn limbs, most of the ceders people want cut are virtually wolf trees they get tall they are wind resistant and pretty, and people think they are extra valuable so when they log they don't want any of the ceder cut so they can still have the feeling of money in the bank...

Unfortunately by not cutting them or spacing them to far apart they get all sorts of limby and become almost worthless.... still purty though...

Thankee... now if I can just line up more work...

As far as ceders concerned I've never had one chair. Haven't cut a whole bunch of em either, just a load or two. I think most of the trouble with ceders is they break easy when they land, especially the big old ones. As easy as ceder splits, it breaks too so hold wood needs to be really thick to cause a chair not that it doesn't happen just gotta be a real moron to pull it off, That and ceders in these parts tend to grow pretty straight, not a whole lot of heavy leaners. The other problem with logging them is all the damn limbs, most of the ceders people want cut are virtually wolf trees they get tall they are wind resistant and pretty, and people think they are extra valuable so when they log they don't want any of the ceder cut so they can still have the feeling of money in the bank...

Unfortunately by not cutting them or spacing them to far apart they get all sorts of limby and become almost worthless.... still purty though...
I cut a lot of them on the Peninsula. They don't chair. When they get real limby they don't want to come off the stump either. Sky bound SOB's. I should add that's bull growth Cedars not OG.

Jr .....I know what a bull pine is lol.......however I'd guess bull growth means big growth but could be wrong

Yeah... ^^^

Hope everybody had a good day today! 97* here and I ain't feeling so great. Almost got too hot...got dizzy and had a pretty good fall from a tree I was limbing that was suspended over a drawl.... think I will stay pretty quiet this evening. You fellas take care, talk with ya 2moro.

for the love of God...don't piss off Randy too bad... heck he ain't even been on here in a couple weeks, we need some more OG pics :popcorn:

have a good evening Men

Yeah... ^^^

Hope everybody had a good day today! 97* here and I ain't feeling so great. Almost got too hot...got dizzy and had a pretty good fall from a tree I was limbing that was suspended over a drawl.... think I will stay pretty quiet this evening. You fellas take care, talk with ya 2moro.

for the love of God...don't piss off Randy too bad... heck he ain't even been on here in a couple weeks, we need some more OG pics :popcorn:

have a good evening Men

tc, ya have got to slow down a little in this heat. drink plenty water, I hope ya get feelin better.

Yeah... ^^^

have a good evening Men

Yeah man slow down some..broken or dead isnt any good

attachment.php

Is Tubafour still buying red cedar. LP sent million one of feet of it down to them in the mid 90 s. . I've cut A lot of red cedar. Ours in Southeast tapers real fast. And limbs, my goodness the limbs. A 3 bushel red cedar is a full tank of gas to fall limb and buck. Kinda knocks a guys average down.

Is Tubafour still buying red cedar. LP sent million one of feet of it down to them in the mid 90 s. . I've cut A lot of red cedar. Ours in Southeast tapers real fast. And limbs, my goodness the limbs. A 3 bushel red cedar is a full tank of gas to fall limb and buck. Kinda knocks a guys average down.

The Tubafor mill in Morton changed it's name to TMI. Yes, they still are a cedar mill. There is also a small one that I don't know the name of in Onalaska, west of Morton.

I guess Tubafor got tired of people calling and wanting 2X4s, or that's what the rumor control says.

Back