the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I might need a little boot to trade in that shape. I want one with an xpw topend on it.

Any one ever had a saw that kept breaking rings????

I pulled my muffler the other day to do a muffler mod. Noticed I had a broke bottom ring. Didn't mess up the piston or cylinder. Ordered a set of cabers and they came today. Put them in and ran for a cut or 2 and herd a crunchy noise while the throttle was coming down after a cut. Pulled the muffler and have another broke bottom ring,,,only this time I have a raped cylinder and piston.

The exhaust has not been raised or lowered, so it still has the factory bevel which feels great. Just widened to 65%. It has a .025 popup and the cylinder has been dropped to give .020 squish.

Man, I am truly sorry to hear about that. I really am.

well i made it through the storm with no troubles,although my job site looks like the hoover dam broke on it. trees blown over and limbs every where but no damage to anything. made for a really hard day at work trying to work a steep hill after that rain last night. the ground is so spongy that when you fall one tree itll doze up 2 others.

well i made it through the storm with no troubles,although my job site looks like the hoover dam broke on it. trees blown over and limbs every where but no damage to anything. made for a really hard day at work trying to work a steep hill after that rain last night. the ground is so spongy that when you fall one tree itll doze up 2 others.

Im in the same situation here. Cant see the mud for the water. And im in the hills. Crazy. Fell a good white oak today and too out 2 others with it. Got help coming tomorrow. Maybe get some of them to the landing. Chains on the way for the jack. Prolly help a little.:clap:

ive not had the chains off my skidder in 2 years. it never dries up longer than 2 weeks at a time anymore and i usually work pretty steep terrain. i bought a brand new set for my skidder a few months ago for 500 bucks from a guy that needed cash.

ive not had the chains off my skidder in 2 years. it never dries up longer than 2 weeks at a time anymore and i usually work pretty steep terrain. i bought a brand new set for my skidder a few months ago for 500 bucks from a guy that needed cash.

500 clams, that's one heck of a of deal.

Thats cheap brother. Wish i could find a deal like that. I did find two 18-4 26's yesterday for 600 each. Thought that was fairly cheap.

i actually bought two sets from him for 1000 bucks and sold the other pair to my buddy. they were ice chains for the 18-4 26's he has 23.12 26's so he just added a short length of chain to make them fit.

I pulled my muffler the other day to do a muffler mod. Noticed I had a broke bottom ring. Didn't mess up the piston or cylinder. Ordered a set of cabers and they came today. Put them in and ran for a cut or 2 and herd a crunchy noise while the throttle was coming down after a cut. Pulled the muffler and have another broke bottom ring,,,only this time I have a raped cylinder and piston.

The exhaust has not been raised or lowered, so it still has the factory bevel which feels great. Just widened to 65%. It has a .025 popup and the cylinder has been dropped to give .020 squish.

Which saw? 372?

Is it catching on the down stoke? It's easy to drop the bottom corners lower than the center when widening an exhaust port. Could that be the problem? Did you bevel the part of the port where you widened it?

This might get the thread 'sort of' back on track.

How did y'all obtain your 372s and/or 2171s? New? Used? Running? In pieces? Etc.?

My 2171 came from a pawn shop (keep in mind Jonsered saws are rare here in the Bayou City). I stopped into a PS near me not expecting to find much, and they had previously lied to my face about why their prices were firm on some items.

When I saw the 2171 it had obviously been used often, and I wasn't sure what to expect. The guy told me I could take it outside and start it. To my pleasant surprise it had compression, and started on the fourth pull, and revved up with no hesitation.

They had it marked at $239.00 or $229.00, which was a very good price. Being cheap I asked about their best price, and the fellow said it only been out about a week, and their policy was they had to wait 30 days before they could discount it. How much after 30 days, I asked. $180.00, he replied.

I waited about three weeks because Jreds aren't well known around here, figuring it would still be there. While I was double checking it for any potential issues the guy went on eBay to check 2171 prices. Uh oh. Do these saws really sell for $800.00 new?, he asked. No, I lied, they're usually heavily discounted. Thankfully he didn't search Completed Auctions!

He seemed skeptical, so I said, I'm wanting the saw, are you going to honor the $180.00 price you quoted? He hemhawed, but finally said yes. The woman who rang it up asked him, Is this the out-the-door price? No, he very quickly replied, charge the sales tax.

I went to Tlandrums Jan 29th GTG, I saw his 372 run, then I used hillbilly22's 2171 (at that point that was the biggest saw I ever ran) Hillbillys saw was impressive but when the 70cc races where done and terry's saw was at the top I knew it was a good one. about a month or so later I pm'd him and he Graciously gave it to me:laugh: (well for $500 which I thought was a good price for strong 372)

This might get the thread 'sort of' back on track.

How did y'all obtain your 372s and/or 2171s? New? Used? Running? In pieces? Etc.?

My 2171 came from a pawn shop (keep in mind Jonsered saws are rare here in the Bayou City). I stopped into a PS near me not expecting to find much, and they had previously lied to my face about why their prices were firm on some items.

When I saw the 2171 it had obviously been used often, and I wasn't sure what to expect. The guy told me I could take it outside and start it. To my pleasant surprise it had compression, and started on the fourth pull, and revved up with no hesitation.

They had it marked at $239.00 or $229.00, which was a very good price. Being cheap I asked about their best price, and the fellow said it only been out about a week, and their policy was they had to wait 30 days before they could discount it. How much after 30 days, I asked. $180.00, he replied.

I waited about three weeks because Jreds aren't well known around here, figuring it would still be there. While I was double checking it for any potential issues the guy went on eBay to check 2171 prices. Uh oh. Do these saws really sell for $800.00 new?, he asked. No, I lied, they're usually heavily discounted. Thankfully he didn't search Completed Auctions!

He seemed skeptical, so I said, I'm wanting the saw, are you going to honor the $180.00 price you quoted? He hemhawed, but finally said yes. The woman who rang it up asked him, Is this the out-the-door price? No, he very quickly replied, charge the sales tax.

Good one:msp_thumbsup::rock:

I eBayed mine. I could have built one I guess but did not feel like digging through literally the 1000+ broken stihl and husky pile I have

Good one:msp_thumbsup::rock:

One time I had to pass on a 272 for about $75.00 because at the time I was paying off some serious bills. A quick inspection showed that it needed an AF, the elbow, and throttle linkage.

If the internals were in good shape, it wouldn't taken much $$ to put it right. If it turned out to be toasted, selling just a few parts would've recouped my money.

But that how it goes sometimes :msp_unsure:.

One time I had to pass on a 272 for about $75.00 because at the time I was paying off some serious bills. A quick inspection showed that it needed an AF, the elbow, and throttle linkage.

If the internals were in good shape, it wouldn't taken much $$ to put it right. If it turned out to be toasted, selling just a few parts would've recouped my money.

But that how it goes sometimes :msp_unsure:.

Chris, I really,really like your avatar. You could set a beer can on that thang....:)

Back