The Purple Forest Products Quest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is over. I met my quota for the year. I got a hot tip on a wonderful sounding patch of huckleberries. I found my way to it yesterday. It proved to be as described. Massive trophy berries. I picked for 2 hours and thought I barely had a gallon. It has turned out to be 1 and a half gallons worth.

The Used Dog suffered greatly. We had to walk in a short distance so I made him carry his drinking water in, using his pink backpack. After arriving at the patch, he started rubbing his back on every bush so I removed it and I carried it around.

He settled down, and I was concentrating on picking. Suddenly he jumped up and barked and raised a ruckus. I don't know what he smelled or saw, but those berries were worth wrestling a bear over. :)

attachment.php

I kept finding more and bigger berries, and the bucket was full. I wanted them all!! I reluctantly resaddled The Used Dog, (who seemed to have put on weight in the two hours--the straps were tighter) and walked slowly and carefully back down to the pickup. Back in the pickup, I realized it was not the patch that smelled bad, I had a flatulent dog to ride down with. :cry:
But maybe it was the altitude because that stopped once we got down into the valley.

I think that area has been overlooked because there is limited parking and a very scary road up to it for the non-woodsy drivers.

attachment.php

We got chewed up by flies, braved hot temperatures, went to taco night with purple stained fingers, thumped the low rider pickup on waterbars, but we got our berries. The canning just finished, time to take the jars out. :clap:

You shouldn't have posted this. . . Now Bob will demand pie! LOL

Sounds like a good day to me. :cheers:

There was no teaching involve. He's got the berry hoovering instinct, which is not a good thing. He'll hear my involuntary exclamation at seeing a good bush and he'll head over and starts inhaling berries, and leaves, on my trophy berry find. Then after a while, he starts choking on the leaves. I should change his name to Hoover, or Dyson.

There was no teaching involve. He's got the berry hoovering instinct, which is not a good thing. He'll hear my involuntary exclamation at seeing a good bush and he'll head over and starts inhaling berries, and leaves, on my trophy berry find. Then after a while, he starts choking on the leaves. I should change his name to Hoover, or Dyson.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back