The real story....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small Job Tim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey all,

need some real opinions and real input....

looking at the most recent Northern Tool catalog, noticed that they are offering a line of saws called "Powerhorse".....i would appreciate it to know if anybody out there has used or heard anything about these saws. I'm not looking for everyone to tell me to buy a stihl or husky....I just would like to know how these saws perform and if they are something to consider for some mild, light duty cutting.

Also, the description of the saws in the catalog mention a "walbro" carburetor. What exactly does this mean?? Any benefits??

I've asked questions about other saw companies on this site, and low and behold, everybody and their brother had a suggestion to buy a stihl or husky. I'm not looking to buy a stihl or husky....just would like to know about this particular saw company....not stihl, not husky....don't waste your effort typing...

If anyone out there has used this company before....would appreciate some serious input as to the performance, power to weight, and the overall opinion on "powerhouse" chainsaws.

Thanks a million...

also...

by the way...
my father just purchased his first husky the other day....a 445 i believe.....the thing is a piece of junk....
the husky non-sense is a joke....dont waste your time unless you're buying a high cc pro felller husky.....the rest are garbage....

Husky = BOOOOO!!!!

thanks for nothing bud,
walmart doesnt offer anything like what i'm asking about.......... go have fun with your husky...

i don't think you understood treeco's comment correctly.
he literally means by purchasing a saw from walmart you will likely be ahead.
there you can buy the popular brand "poulan" if you wish to grab a saw for less money.this way you can find parts etc.
here is some info that will help you understand why buying at walmart literally may be a much better game plan.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=83185&highlight=Powerhorse+chainsaws

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82366&highlight=Powerhorse+chainsaws

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74331&highlight=Powerhorse+chainsaws

iv had my 136 for a long time.i really can't knock the thing for what i payed.husky badged poulan is all the 136 is.but she's been fine over the years.used her as my climbing saw for a while.glad thats over tho just the same lol.

oh,sorry.i just saw your sig.you already know about Poulan.

Last edited:
I own a few of the pro poulans that are exceptional saws that sometimes outrun more expensive saws while being easier on gas consumption. however, the real question is if anyone has used the powerhorse saws and what they think of them. The links "arborist" sent me had no real information about the saws themselves....just a bunch of nonsense about how you should buy husky saws and racial slurs as to who produced the "powerhorse" brand....by the way, Poulan is produced in america now, so to compare the two companies is almost like comparing a honda to a harley.
I'd appreciate some quality input.......thanks for the effort though...

Powerhorse saws are the best you can buy. I love mine. I got rid of all my Stihls, Husky's and Dolmars, Macs, Homelites, Poulans, and J-Reds. Now there's some quality input you can take to the bank.:cheers:

Yeah man its just a HUGE secret that they are great thats my they are so hard to get dont tell anyone or all the serious wood cutters/arborist/tree removal companies will be buying them and you will not be cool anymore.

NOT

Come on dude be real Stihl/hustky/dolmar/J-red are so popular because they are powerful, dependable and trustworthy. If they are selling it at northern tool there is a reason. Usually it means no serious commercial retailer thinks its worth the scrap metal its made of. Some Chinese knockoff of a real saw. In most things but more so in chainsaws you get what you pay for.

Buy that powerhorse and take it to your local shop when something goes wrong and then you will figure out the biggest problem.

Yeah man its just a HUGE secret that they are great thats my they are so hard to get dont tell anyone or all the serious wood cutters/arborist/tree removal companies will be buying them and you will not be cool anymore.

NOT

Come on dude be real Stihl/hustky/dolmar/J-red are so popular because they are powerful, dependable and trustworthy. If they are selling it at northern tool there is a reason. Usually it means no serious commercial retailer thinks its worth the scrap metal its made of. Some Chinese knockoff of a real saw. In most things but more so in chainsaws you get what you pay for.

Buy that powerhorse and take it to your local shop when something goes wrong and then you will figure out the biggest problem.
Ahhhhh, I was joking about the mighty Powerhorse boat anchor saws, but I have came across a few Stihl, Husky, J-Reds, and Dolmars that were underpowered, undependable, and very untrustworthy. I do agree with you, you do get what you pay for when buying a new saw. Oh, and by the way, I have never taken any saw to the local shop when something goes wrong, I am the local shop.

Last edited:
LOL!!!!

Ya almost had me.

Get the Harley chain saw. You'll love it!

It's got "Torque", it's what trees crave.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ahhhhh, I was joking about the mighty Powerhorse boat anchor saws, but I have came across a few Stihl, Husky, J-Reds, and Dolmars that were underpowered, undependable, and very untrustworthy. I do agree with you, you do get what you pay for when buying a new saw. Oh, and by the way, I have never taken any saw to the local shop when something goes wrong, I am the local shop.

I have came across a few Stihl, Husky, J-Reds, and Dolmars that were underpowered, undependable, and very untrustworthy.
you can get a bad apple with anything but by far as compared to any other saw maker those saws have proven themselves.

Ahhhhh, I was joking about the mighty Powerhorse boat anchor saws
Sorry too much cafine

I have never taken any saw to the local shop when something goes wrong, I am the local shop.
pffffft that doesnt impress me my 9 year old could rebuild a chainsaw. Not exactly a skilled trade.

Last edited:
LOL!!!!

Ya almost had me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Now if only we could find a way to cut with that rubber drive belt, we wouldn't need chain oil anymore....

Oh, and Smalls -- try the chainsaw forum. They've discussed these saws a bit and might even be more helpful.

:agree2::notrolls2::sucks:

hey all,

need some real opinions and real input....

looking at the most recent Northern Tool catalog, noticed that they are offering a line of saws called "Powerhorse".....i would appreciate it to know if anybody out there has used or heard anything about these saws. I'm not looking for everyone to tell me to buy a stihl or husky....I just would like to know how these saws perform and if they are something to consider for some mild, light duty cutting.

Also, the description of the saws in the catalog mention a "walbro" carburetor. What exactly does this mean?? Any benefits??

I've asked questions about other saw companies on this site, and low and behold, everybody and their brother had a suggestion to buy a stihl or husky. I'm not looking to buy a stihl or husky....just would like to know about this particular saw company....not stihl, not husky....don't waste your effort typing...

If anyone out there has used this company before....would appreciate some serious input as to the performance, power to weight, and the overall opinion on "powerhouse" chainsaws.

Thanks a million...

Looks like the answer to your question is no. Seems like it takes a lot of wind to get to it. LOL :greenchainsaw:

you can get a bad apple with anything but by far as compared to any other saw maker those saws have proven themselves.

Sorry too much cafine

pffffft that doesnt impress me my 9 year old could rebuild a chainsaw. Not exactly a skilled trade.

Damned talented 9 year old you have there bud. Not a skilled trade??? Why do you think the chainsaw section is the most popular board on AS??? I guess everybody that comes here looking for advice don't have nine year old sons to fix their saws. I'm sure there are several on this site that make a living working on saws will disagree about your "skilled trade " remark.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I think your going to play hell trying to get info on a Non-pro grade saw in a forum meant to ask pros questions about the trade. There is a reason pros use Huskies and Stihls. If your using it for small jobs/ homeowner jobs where it is not being used at a pro level you might be OK. That's a chance you'll have to take. Go ahead, spend the money and roll the dice. I'll stick with my Stihls.

LOL!!!!

Ya almost had me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

They have even got the logo sorted;)

NewHarleyLogo02.jpg

thanks...

medic 184 & tree md,
thank you both for some serious input...good to see there's at least two people on this site who want to be helpful rather than critical.

my local saw shop will work on any saw that you bring to them, for the right price, of course....so that is not an issue.

I basically need a saw in the 40-50 cc range that is lightweight so that i can take it in the tree with me to cut and drop pieces of the trunk. I have a new arb saw that is great for limbing. I would like to have something a little bigger to take up to ensure the cut and prevent splitting of the trunk while I am strapped in.
Price is the major concern here...I am a very small time operation, maybe pulling in 3 jobs a week. I am just starting out, and cannot afford to drop another $300 plus on a new saw. I need a saw that is cheap, and effective enough to cut through the trunk while in the air. This is not going to be a heavy use machine......actually it will probably be used on the job less than any other saw.
The price is what turned me on to the "powerhorse" brand....seems like a better quality than the box store poulans ( dont get me wrong, love the older pro poulan products)....but i'd love to hear some input from someone who has run this brand saw before. ANYONE???? of all the members of this site....someone, at least one person, has had to have had some experience with this brand......anybody????
Basically, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a saw that will be used very little and has the potential to be dropped out of the tree....
Thanks for some serious input....

your Pop cuttin' with a dull chain?

by the way...
my father just purchased his first husky the other day....a 445 i believe.....the thing is a piece of junk....
the husky non-sense is a joke....dont waste your time unless you're buying a high cc pro felller husky.....the rest are garbage....

Husky = BOOOOO!!!!

i know several folks with the 455 and they have had no trouble with them.

Buy that Chicom Powerhorse. good luck gettin' parts for your Chicom liberal sally a$$ saw. Another thing about Northern,after shipping costs,you could have bought a real saw.

medic 184 & tree md,
thank you both for some serious input...good to see there's at least two people on this site who want to be helpful rather than critical.

my local saw shop will work on any saw that you bring to them, for the right price, of course....so that is not an issue.

I basically need a saw in the 40-50 cc range that is lightweight so that i can take it in the tree with me to cut and drop pieces of the trunk. I have a new arb saw that is great for limbing. I would like to have something a little bigger to take up to ensure the cut and prevent splitting of the trunk while I am strapped in.
Price is the major concern here...I am a very small time operation, maybe pulling in 3 jobs a week. I am just starting out, and cannot afford to drop another $300 plus on a new saw. I need a saw that is cheap, and effective enough to cut through the trunk while in the air. This is not going to be a heavy use machine......actually it will probably be used on the job less than any other saw.
The price is what turned me on to the "powerhorse" brand....seems like a better quality than the box store poulans ( dont get me wrong, love the older pro poulan products)....but i'd love to hear some input from someone who has run this brand saw before. ANYONE???? of all the members of this site....someone, at least one person, has had to have had some experience with this brand......anybody????
Basically, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a saw that will be used very little and has the potential to be dropped out of the tree....
Thanks for some serious input....

I've been where your at. I'm not exactly rocking with jobs right now myself but I do have my gear paid for. When I had jobs on the line and not enough money to buy the saws I wanted I bought cheap huskies (might take some flak for that statement) to get me through. If you spend $200 on a saw and make $600 you have made your money back on that saw in the job that you needed it for and can still do more jobs. My suggestion is to buy what you need to get by but pour your profit money into quality gear. You need to buy at least a 440/441 or equal saw to do professional tree work. Buy it as soon as you can. I know you've already got your climbing saw but I would suggest buying a 260 or equivalent and a 440 or equivalent as soon as possible if you plan on getting serious about tree work. You will be able to handle most jobs with that combo without spending too much down time repairing saws and working with sub par equipment.

Best of luck! :cheers:

Back