The real story....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look for a shidaiwa 360 used.

medic 184 & tree md,
thank you both for some serious input...good to see there's at least two people on this site who want to be helpful rather than critical.

my local saw shop will work on any saw that you bring to them, for the right price, of course....so that is not an issue.

I basically need a saw in the 40-50 cc range that is lightweight so that i can take it in the tree with me to cut and drop pieces of the trunk. I have a new arb saw that is great for limbing. I would like to have something a little bigger to take up to ensure the cut and prevent splitting of the trunk while I am strapped in.
Price is the major concern here...I am a very small time operation, maybe pulling in 3 jobs a week. I am just starting out, and cannot afford to drop another $300 plus on a new saw. I need a saw that is cheap, and effective enough to cut through the trunk while in the air. This is not going to be a heavy use machine......actually it will probably be used on the job less than any other saw.
The price is what turned me on to the "powerhorse" brand....seems like a better quality than the box store poulans ( dont get me wrong, love the older pro poulan products)....but i'd love to hear some input from someone who has run this brand saw before. ANYONE???? of all the members of this site....someone, at least one person, has had to have had some experience with this brand......anybody????
Basically, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a saw that will be used very little and has the potential to be dropped out of the tree....
Thanks for some serious input....

they are ripping little saws.i had a Husky 141 that i dearly loved but i sold it to someone that needed it more than me.he loves it and will not sell it back.

i apologize,

after taking his husky 445 back to the saw shop and getting a second one...the saw runs terrific...we took it felling fire wood today and it handled excellent...completely different machine than the first....i'm impressed...so, i apologize to all you guys with a husky hard-on...

actually considering buyin a husky 445 after seeing it's performance today....is this a decent saw to take in the tree with me.....if i dropped it down from a 16" bar to a !4", i think this might be what i'm lookin for....

i just would like to spend as little as possible since i'm not a heavy duty full time operation...

since everyone loves to jump down my throat about "powerhorse".....can anyone suggest an equivalent 40-50cc chainsaw that is good to take in the tree but won't run me more than $250??

I'm glad to see some serious input....keep it up!!!

medic 184 & tree md,
thank you both for some serious input...good to see there's at least two people on this site who want to be helpful rather than critical.

No one is being critical thats an honest opinion and I assumed thats what you were looking for. If your looking for someone to blow smoke up your ass then here.

Hey thats a great saw good luck with it you will love it and it will last for ever.

stihl-o-magic

hey stihl boy,
none of this is meant to be taken personal...this is a forum, not a personal blow...if you want to be rude and crude, don't waste any of our time...
lookin for good input, not nonsense from inexperienced hacks...

since everyone loves to jump down my throat about "powerhorse".....can anyone suggest an equivalent 40-50cc chainsaw that is good to take in the tree but won't run me more than $250??

I'm glad to see some serious input....keep it up!!!

Have you considered looking at used saws? If you want cheap, but pro, that's the way to go. You'll get just as much life out of a $250, used, pro saw as you a would a $250, new, homeowner saw. And it would be a much better life for you.

good idea

blakes,
you have stumbled upon something there...
i am looking into used pro equip....just would love to know what to look for as far as potential mechanical damage.... any input??
thanks again...love serious responses

If you're looking for a step up from your trim saw you need a 361 Stihl. Super light, and chock full 'o gumption. Unfortunately, you won't find one in that price range. A lot of guys like the 260 and I'd assume you could find a used one for that price.

hey stihl boy,
none of this is meant to be taken personal...this is a forum, not a personal blow...if you want to be rude and crude, don't waste any of our time...
lookin for good input, not nonsense from inexperienced hacks...

You need to check yourself. It seems to me from your original post you were looking to stir the pot. I was not being rude and crude rather your reply I quoted last was the only rude post I have read.

lol your referring to me as an inexperienced hack but you dont make enough money to buy a real saw.

One other observation, about the French comment you have a reading comprehension problem because my SIG clearly pokes fun at the French.

Simple deduction I am probably not French.

You have above proven one thing... you are consistent

Small job, small saw, small mind

Dont bother replying I will not converse with you any longer, I choose not to get in to an intellectual battle with someone not equipped for the fight

Last edited:
Go to Stihl.com and check out the MS270. 50 cc. Might be a bit more than what you want to spend but you'll never kill it. You'll have it forever if you're an occasional user. I owned one as a starter saw and used it constantly, I mean every day, for over three years and never had a problem. Eventually it did die but then of course, I bumped to the pro level saws and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
i didn't get back over to the other guy fast enough.

Dont bother fishercat its not worth the time. Buy the way I am doing that other job in Wethersfield and going to look at 2 more Thursday one of them I think is going to require a bucket, maybe crane so expect a call.. Large maple on a house.

Any luck with the other one?

he said he gave it to someone else.if they don't get there when they said they would,i have the job.

let me know if you need anything.be safe!

Go to Stihl.com and check out the MS270. 50 cc. Might be a bit more than what you want to spend but you'll never kill it. You'll have it forever if you're an occasional user. I owned one as a starter saw and used it constantly, I mean every day, for over three years and never had a problem. Eventually it did die but then of course, I bumped to the pro level saws and haven't looked back.

Ihave a MS270 and really like it. New it cost like 390.00. That saw is fairly lite and runs excellent plenty of power if you use it right. Now I also have a MS250 that I hate, to much vibration. The 270 is a much better choice if you can not afford a 260. Jonsered has a 2139T which is a 39cc 2.3 claimed hp top handle saw, I have never run one but its half the price of a 200t. Me I am sticking with stihls Because I can get parts close by and they work great. I bought cheap saws before and after the third vapor lock nonstart I wrecked that junk and bought a good saw. Learn from my mistake don't cheap out and regret it, save some more money and skip the frustation.

Mickey C.

i bet i know where that crane is going...............enjoy

Wow. I just read the entire thread. Stihl-o-matic, I read this and though, "I wonder if he thought I was like this guy?" If you did, or anyone else for that matter, I'm terribly sorry. I'm for real, this guy I think is in need of medication.

Clearly, anyone who would berate others in hopes of soliciting a rational response for help, has a desperate need for psychiatric care. He doesn't even know when stihl is talking to him, or fishercat! I'm really sorry everyone, I just feel this overwhelming urge to apologize for the human race. I dunno what it is.

In an answer to your original question, I've used a powerhouse saw before, cutting a 20' cherry in my uncle's yard. He bought it as he's handicapped, had not much idea how he was gonna cut it down. So I used the thing for about 4 hours trying to keep the chain tight, the oil in the blasted thing, the saw to stay running, or even the saw no to bogg out in a 3' limb. I'm sorry to say, I took the 3 hour drive home to get my saws, and returned the next day to finish it completely. To do the same amount of work, took almost an hour. No messing with the mentally challenged saw.

Sorry everyone for these people. I'm sure there's a place somewhere that will take them.

Jeff

"I wonder if he thought I was like this guy?"

Nope. There was a couple times I thought you weren't really understanding what was being said to you, but you came across as a guy who wanted to learn, not fight. You still got a couple responses that might make a guy a little upset, but you handled it well and never tried to call anyone french....

Glad you were able to give some feedback about this saw...apparently it's everything all of us dreamed it was. Wow, 3 hour drive for a 20' tree. Couldn't you have just borrowed a dull ax?

Wow. I just read the entire thread. Stihl-o-matic, I read this and though, "I wonder if he thought I was like this guy?" If you did, or anyone else for that matter, I'm terribly sorry. I'm for real, this guy I think is in need of medication.

Clearly, anyone who would berate others in hopes of soliciting a rational response for help, has a desperate need for psychiatric care. He doesn't even know when stihl is talking to him, or fishercat! I'm really sorry everyone, I just feel this overwhelming urge to apologize for the human race. I dunno what it is.

In an answer to your original question, I've used a powerhouse saw before, cutting a 20' cherry in my uncle's yard. He bought it as he's handicapped, had not much idea how he was gonna cut it down. So I used the thing for about 4 hours trying to keep the chain tight, the oil in the blasted thing, the saw to stay running, or even the saw no to bogg out in a 3' limb. I'm sorry to say, I took the 3 hour drive home to get my saws, and returned the next day to finish it completely. To do the same amount of work, took almost an hour. No messing with the mentally challenged saw.

Sorry everyone for these people. I'm sure there's a place somewhere that will take them.

Jeff

Garden not all all man you had 100% legitimate questions and you were very polite. I was attempting to give you honest opinion and didnt want to see anyone get hurt, which is why I recommended getting some hands on instruction. If you havent got the tree climbers companion or guide yet let me know.

Garden not all all man you had 100% legitimate questions and you were very polite. I was attempting to give you honest opinion and didnt want to see anyone get hurt, which is why I recommended getting some hands on instruction. If you havent got the tree climbers companion or guide yet let me know.

I can totally appreciate the help too. Sitting with my brother for like 15 hours on Saturday really helped clear things up. I've got the 2005 edition of Tree Climbing Field Guide. Lots of info in there. Good stuff. I don't have the companion yet as everyone around me is out, and likely to get more in AUG?!? I was mystified. lol

BTW I don't think you're french. If the french had chainsaws, I highly doubt they'd be in the situation their in. Ever see how many blasted trees they got? wasting valuable parking space if ya ask me. lmao

Oh, and canopy boy, if it wasn't family. lol I wasn't planning on going home that night either, just got frusterated with the POS I actually kicked the dang thing at one point. Honestly, was the most impressive thing now that I think about it...NOTHING BROKE!! Well, that is to say that the saw still sucked, but no cosmetics anyway. lol

Jeff

to whom it may concern...

I apologize for any irritation or frustration i have caused any of you. I find it is sometimes hard to determine a persons tone through written word. Obviously, I took the demeanor of some of the responses given to my original post as hostile and promoting a company that was totally irrelevant to the question at hand. At the same time, I meant no harm by any of the inappropriate comments, and I was chuckling to myself as I typed them, I was not typing in anger. Poking fun went a little too far, and for that I am sorry, especially to the members of this site who I specifically directed some of the comments to. No harm meant.

I understand that most of the responses given to my post were entered by professionals who I am sure have the biggest and best equipment and the means to buy the best quality products. I appreciate your input and warnings about this product. As a guy who lives from tree $ to tree $, I have barely the means to afford the cheaper quality stuff, let alone have the nerve to disrespect someone who I have asked for assistance on a potential purchase.

I am happy to see that I finally received a response from someone who has actually used this line of power equipment. From that input, and the negative feedback on the product line that others members gave, I think I will avoid the company and put this discussion to a rest.

Again, I apologize to all who I have offended...no harm was intended, just wanted a direct answer specifically applying to my inquiry.

I apologize for any irritation or frustration i have caused any of you. I find it is sometimes hard to determine a persons tone through written word. Obviously, I took the demeanor of some of the responses given to my original post as hostile and promoting a company that was totally irrelevant to the question at hand. At the same time, I meant no harm by any of the inappropriate comments, and I was chuckling to myself as I typed them, I was not typing in anger. Poking fun went a little too far, and for that I am sorry, especially to the members of this site who I specifically directed some of the comments to. No harm meant.

I understand that most of the responses given to my post were entered by professionals who I am sure have the biggest and best equipment and the means to buy the best quality products. I appreciate your input and warnings about this product. As a guy who lives from tree $ to tree $, I have barely the means to afford the cheaper quality stuff, let alone have the nerve to disrespect someone who I have asked for assistance on a potential purchase.

I am happy to see that I finally received a response from someone who has actually used this line of power equipment. From that input, and the negative feedback on the product line that others members gave, I think I will avoid the company and put this discussion to a rest.

Again, I apologize to all who I have offended...no harm was intended, just wanted a direct answer specifically applying to my inquiry.

Well said. We all have to be a bit careful about how we phrase the written word compared to a oral conversation. It can be tough to pick up on the sarcasm and joking at times when you can't hear the tone of voice or see the person's facial expressions. And then things can quickly deteriorate.

Damned talented 9 year old you have there bud. Not a skilled trade??? Why do you think the chainsaw section is the most popular board on AS??? I guess everybody that comes here looking for advice don't have nine year old sons to fix their saws. I'm sure there are several on this site that make a living working on saws will disagree about your "skilled trade " remark.

Lol sorry for the late reply I just saw this. My son is only 8. My daughter is 9 she fixes saws my son drives my backhoe.

Actually blackoak that was revenge for goating me good with your reply so I had to get even. I do most of my own chainsaw work but have full respect for the true experts

Well now that we are all freinds again I stand by my statment. Save some more money and by quality it may be painful up front but it will pay for itself down the line. Look for a good used saw if money is that tight because, in this economy its tighter for someone else and there are deals to be had and you may just help someone out. And guys if you bring your feelings to a thread or to work with you, well do I have to say any more. Hey stihl I have a 4 year old girl and she sharpens all my chains and were moving up to filter cleaning next week. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Back