The saw I just bought deal or no deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osb_mail

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 200T I bought off ebay for $266.00 shipped .I have not got it yet but I am hoping it is a good runner . Take A look at picture and tell me what you think .
c096_12.JPG

chain looks good, bar looks worn. Fuel tank was changed, it is not original since the caps don't match. Possibly a dropped saw that someone put together and sold? Check all the screws on it before running, especially muffler screws and coil. If it was pieced together in haste they might not be tight enough. Those saws always command a good price on ebay, usually worth more in peices than whole. good luck with it.

Would the original owner have swapped out the fuel tank to get rid of the wonderful new "Stihl exclusive flip and fill " POS gas cap perhaps?

Yeah I saw that the fuel cap was different could they have just changed fuel cap . Not sure if both type caps could fit the same tank . I would not be surprised if the fuel tank was changed though probably dropped out of a tree being it is a 200T .

Yeah I saw that the fuel cap was different could they have just changed fuel cap . Not sure if both type caps could fit the same tank . I would not be surprised if the fuel tank was changed though probably dropped out of a tree being it is a 200T .

No... the older caps will not fit in the newer tanks with flip caps (which are awesome BTW!)

Gary

newer tanks with flip caps (which are awesome BTW!)

Gary

So....
You like the new caps?
That is all I have had experience with and my dads ms250 had a problem with one not lining up right, seemed to seal but always looked cockeyed!

Mine are fine as my saw is new.
However it seems that the cap takes up alot of space in the tanks.
I have to try to keep that in mind when I fill them up.
This is probably old news thought.:deadhorse:

So....
You like the new caps?
That is all I have had experience with and my dads ms250 had a problem with one not lining up right, seemed to seal but always looked cockeyed!

Mine are fine as my saw is new.
However it seems that the cap takes up alot of space in the tanks.
I have to try to keep that in mind when I fill them up.
This is probably old news thought.:deadhorse:

Yup... it is old news...:biggrinbounce2: been bashed here over and over. One thing about them is you have to make sure they have no crap in the sealing area. I haven't had any probs on any saw I have run that has them. Just lucky I guess.

Back on topic... Hopefully the saw pictured was not a dropped saw. I know I wouldn't wanna shell out almost 300 bucks for a saw that had been dropped out of a tree.

Just my .02

Gary

Be very careful with Ebay or any used 200t's. Pro's rarely sell them unless they have problems. They are a PITA to diagnose if you haven't had a lot of practise:(

Low compression (less than 140) is a sign of high time. Worn skirts will show up as idle problems. You need to replace the piston in either case. Earlier carbs C1QS61, S61A, B and C have flakey accelerator pumps that when they fail you have to chuck the carb. The latest rev is F, but the D and E seem fine.

I almost can guarantee it was dropped out of a tree... replace about 2 tanks a month for that exact reason. BTW, that tank likely has the old vent system... but it can be upgraded somewhat.

I am not really to worried if the saw been dropped out of tree and the fuel tank was busted . I mean come on it is a STIHL . I had a ms192T dropped about 25 feet on harm done . So more worried about the way it runs . I know big risk of buying this way but I really wanted a 200T and could see paying $520.00 for a new one so I took a chance on a $266 one .Maybe after I buy 2 used ones that run like crap I will think that $520.00 was not so bad. Oh well that just the way I operate . Here is a picture of the ms192 I dropped .
380941772_132909b67f_m.jpg

well Lakeside53

might be sending it to you to fix sounds like you know a lot more about saws than I do .

Be very careful with Ebay or any used 200t's. Pro's rarely sell them unless they have problems. They are a PITA to diagnose if you haven't had a lot of practise:(

Low compression (less than 140) is a sign of high time. Worn skirts will show up as idle problems. You need to replace the piston in either case. Earlier carbs C1QS61, S61A, B and C have flakey accelerator pumps that when they fail you have to chuck the carb. The latest rev is F, but the D and E seem fine.

I almost can guarantee it was dropped out of a tree... replace about 2 tanks a month for that exact reason. BTW, that tank likely has the old vent system... but it can be upgraded somewhat.

Damn, that's a lot of saws. We barely sell one 200T a month, and lately I've been tryin to fight the trend of people replacing their worn out 020T's and 200T's and buying the cheaper 192's to replace them without any regard to performance or durabiliy. At the dealership I'm at we marke our living on the homeowners buying MS250's (by far and a way our top selling saw)

Latest posts

Back