The Sleeper 024S Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That works well for that size saw..........but would kill a larger saw. Too much heat.
I may be having that trouble with my 028 Super. Yes, it has lots of compression and power. Yes, it overheats and wants to quit after about half a tank of running. Let it cool in the shade and on the ground for 10 minutes and it will repeat the same performance like clockwork. Did it today.

I may be having that trouble with my 028 Super. Yes, it has lots of compression and power. Yes, it overheats and wants to quit after about half a tank of running. Let it cool in the shade and on the ground for 10 minutes and it will repeat the same performance like clockwork. Did it today.
No other underlying issues?

I'm not seeing the sticker that adds HP! You really are keeping it a sleeper huh? Looks like she's breaking in very nicely!! Any idea how it compares to a monkeyed 026?

Hey Dan, not sure at all how it compares to an 026. I can see where a decomp would be easier on the arthritis, and if the 026 has an adjustable oiler that would be a nice feature for the 024's to have too. For me, even though the size difference is negligible, I like the smaller look and feel the 024 has over the 026.

As far as keeping it a sleeper, I do kinda dig that so I'm on the fence about the decal. I may have my local sign guy do something cool with the metal name plate though, which would then be a dead giveaway for Stihl guys. If I have him do that, I'll probably ask Randy to send me out a decal for the saw.

Otherwise, short of actually running this little lady in some wood the only other hints as to it being a wolf in sheeps clothing are Jons' outstanding muffler mod, and I'm told, the number of fins visible on the jug.

024 mod giveaway 2.JPG

024 mod giveaway 1.JPG

Randy, thank-you again for knocking it out of the park. While this little saw flat-out means business, it's just plain fun to run. And holy crap does she run!

I got to run this saw today! Mel came over for a few hours and we had a good time. Boy does this saw rip! It's light nimble and powerful. We ran it against my husky 55 and Mel's 028 and it spanked them! In a 10" log the 55 and the 028 were very close at 9.5ish sec. The 024 was just over 6 sec!!!!

Great job Randy! If I keep running these ported stihls, y'all just might convert me! Never was very impressed til I ran Brett's at the GTG and now this one.
Of course what will I think when I port my huskies????
Time will tell...

Mel and I were talking tuning yesterday and he mentioned you told him to buy a tach. When you finish porting a saw how do you decide what the saw should be tuned at?
Is it based on timing numbers, or how the saw tunes out after being built?
And is it best in your opinion to rely on the rpm number, or tune by ear WOT with unlimited coil and in the wood if it's limited?

Mel and I were talking tuning yesterday and he mentioned you told him to buy a tach. When you finish porting a saw how do you decide what the saw should be tuned at?
Is it based on timing numbers, or how the saw tunes out after being built?
And is it best in your opinion to rely on the rpm number, or tune by ear WOT with unlimited coil and in the wood if it's limited?

It's taken me a long time to learn what each saw needs to be tuned to, and there are many saws that still baffle me. It's based more on displacement and port layout than on timing numbers. On Mel's saw I tuned it to where I thought it sounded "right" at. Then I tried it in wood at a higher, and lower RPM to see if it liked more fuel, or less. Also, be sure the saw is fully up to operating temp before tuning for max RPM.

Cool! I find myself constantly playing with the tune on my saws. Probably unnecessary... It's usually just a tiny tweak.
I think I'm trying to make up for all those years of just start it and run it!

Cool! I find myself constantly playing with the tune on my saws. Probably unnecessary... It's usually just a tiny tweak.
I think I'm trying to make up for all those years of just start it and run it!
I seen my dad cut firewood for years with his 028 never did I see him adjust the carb. I was the same way till I found this place,now I play with the carb like a teenager with a hole in his pocket!

No other underlying issues?
Fixed it. Turned out the oiler was getting clogged up with goop in the bar oil tank. I flushed it out and made sure the bar was oiling OK. The heat build up from a dry bar was getting to the saw's engine and shutting it down. You have to wonder if there isn't a sensor somewhere. Regardless, this 028 Super now cuts very well and never overheats, even in a long noodle cut. Another keeper for sure.

I may try this on a standard 024AV (Non-S). How much displacement is lost from the 2mm stroke?

Will going 44.7 Make the difference negligible?

I'm wondering if the shorter stroke will result in a higher or lower exhaust in degrees. My brain is saying an even higher one because of less rod angle.

Back