The Sleeper 024S Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Mel gets home from vacation he's going to come over to my place with his saws. If he doesn't get video before that we can get some then.
He is still recovering from knee surgery so I'm sure he's taking it easy.

Thanks Gents, sorry to keep everyone hanging.
Leaving for OH in a few minutes but before I go I wanted to put up one picture that was taken over the weekend. It's at the Shovelfest location, where a work party was assembled and a lot of good times had. There's more pics, and I'll try to put them together and get them posted over the next week once I'm back.
Anyway, here is one I thought y'all might enjoy:

Shovelfest work party.jpg

As it turns out, the only four saws that showed up were the four I brought with me.
In the front row is Jeffro with the 4400 Poulan and Kenny with the 750 Homelite. Behind Jeffro is Tony with the 3400 Poulan that just recently joined the family, and standing next to him is Jimmy holding this little 024 Super 6 monster on his shoulder.
Randy has built both the 750 and of course the 024. If I had my way, I'd be dropping the 4400 (no slouch in its' present form) at his shop on my way North to Ohio this morning, but that old girl will have to wait her turn behind a couple other saws that need some love more than she does.
The 3400 I had intended on leaving here on the farm for owner George but she needs a little attention before I can feel good about giving her away.
Everyone had a real good time, and enjoyed the heck out of those saws. Was bittersweet watching from my comfy chair, but someone had to do it, lol! :)
Gotta run, keep me lifted Gents. This old jalopy I'm driving has seen much better days and she's about to get really loaded down. More on that when I make it Home too...

Success on my 024 carb rebuild (Walbro 194). Either the pump or the metering diaphragm must have been worn out and/or too stiff. This saw purrs like a kitten now. Only cost a few bucks. Took awhile to retune it, but she seemed to run better with each adjustment as the new diaphragms sealed up.

I also installed an 026 shroud, carb cover, and custom-made tank vent. That allows me to use the 026 air filter assembly. These are about $5 apiece vs $30 for the vintage 024 air filter.

I like this saw. :)

Friday afternoon, had a slow day at work so what, two weeks Home from my trip to Tennessee I finally had a little time to clean this 024 Super 6 up a little after she was put to work there.
Stripped her plastics and blew out the dust. Decided I'd see what the plug looked like so pulled it and jeez while I'm here I figured I might as well pull a compression test and see how close to 200 she is.
Was cutting some wicked hard wood so figured I'd swap on a new chain too and get her ready for the next go.

Got some pics, first are a few of the tree that blew down just after new years. Standing dead, it's hard as all get-out and ready to burn for Shovelfest this Summer. Wish I'd snagged a few shots before we got into it. Man, with a base over 50" across, the top was enormous. The crotch in the foreground the larger diameter part that leads off to the right took nearly all of the 30" bar on the 4400 to get across. This tree is big. Then come pics of some of what we're using some of the wood for. Doorman's chair, tabletops, and the bouncers' stool with a footrest at the Strippers' pole... Lol

Stopped taking pics after so many beers though, before things were finished so you'll have to use your imagination with finishing the tables pictured and adding more in. Keep in mind those slabs are around 9 inches thick each and are all pretty darn good sized diameter so they weigh in. Boy, do they weigh in...

SF firewood tree.JPG

SF doormans chair.JPG

SF front yard table tops.JPG

SF bar area.JPG

SF tabletops.JPG

SF bouncers perch.JPG

SF work party saws.JPG

Now a couple of this freaky little super saw:

024 super.JPG

Matco CT60K compression tester kit. Bought new last year or two ago, only used on my saws just because CAD doesn't stop with amassing quantities of saws. Nosir, that's just the beginning. Next you want to know what each one is blowing and of course you gotta write it down somewhere... LOl

compression tester.JPG

Spark plug. Three tanks of fuel, 93 non-ethanol, pure gas from Knoxville. Mixed 9 ounces Stihl HP Ultra to 2.5 gallons gas for a ratio of 35.55555:1

024 sparkplug.JPG

And finally, the numbers. I knew it was going to be a good 200 pounds simply because my hand STILL hurts from starting this charming little sweetheart. I have to tell you, I had no idea what I was about to find. Keep in mind this is cold, and dry, and throttle plate closed (does that really even matter?). Anyway, here it is!

024 compression.JPG

Fellas, as soon as I have time I think I'm going to buy myself an early Christmas present and set this saw up with an Elastrostart pullcord. I'm telling you, she's got one heck of an attitude!

Have to run off to the range now. RSO for the local Juniors 4-position smallbore rifle program Friday nights. Will post a few more pics as I can, hope y'all enjoyed 'em,

I'm not seeing the sticker that adds HP! You really are keeping it a sleeper huh? Looks like she's breaking in very nicely!! Any idea how it compares to a monkeyed 026?

Back