The Stihl 024 ... suprisingly nice little saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyctreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last year I took a tree down for an elderly man, retired locksmith, who was moving to Florida, and he wanted to know if I was interested in buying his saw ... it was an 024 late eighties I estimate, in near new condition with stickers still in place and in a Stihl case. He said he wanted $125 for it, so I grabbed it with the intention of selling it on fleabay ... used it a couple of times to limb trees on the ground, even took it in the bucket several times ... and it really is a little powerhouse for it's size.

Fleabay prices on the saw in mint condition wouldn't have made me all that much money, maybe $150, so I just decided to make it part of the harem.

Now I've got several semi-basket cases in and one of them is an 024, not sure yet what the others are, all have smoked pistons except the 024, but every one of them has had the plastic starter pawls removed :nofunny:

PICT0192.JPG

The saw on the right is much bigger than the 024, I can't figure out what it is yet.

PICT0189.JPG

A clean 024 is a tough value to beat! I was looking for something to use around the house and found a nice one on Craigslist. It's a great little saw! I'm thinking it will replace the 361 as my camp saw this year.

That's how we did it at Sikorsky in the servo shop at O&R. Split rod in an air drill with scotch-brite. They had ball hones back then, but preferred scotch brite.

Back