the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougfirfirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can't say enough good things about this saw, for me it's has torque not speed and is ideal for the fire wood i get.

so what do you folk say about the 038 magnum?

cheers :chainsaw: :clap:

motosierra_stihl_038_magnum.gif

I got one, Cranks second are third pull from a cold start and first every time when warm. I don't think there as slow as some people on this form say they are , I printed a Manuel off the Stihl web site and they say max rpm is 13,500
for the 038mag. Isn't that about the same as most newer saws?? Some folks will comment on a saw when they have never seen one let alone run it. Some times its better to look like a fool then open your'e mouth and prove you are one!!!! I happen to like mine and I think there will be some around when the newer stuff is dead and buried.

The latest version is the MS381, with a higher power rating (3.9 vs. 3.6kW - Mag II and 380 is inbetween).

Last edited:
I had one until about a year ago. Good saw, dead solid reliable, would sit for years and start with 2-3 pulls and run flawlessly.

Now the bad news, it used more fuel per cord of wood cut than any saw I've ever owned.

Barely able to manage the 24" bar is was equipped with.

Anemic compared to a Husqvarna 268XP, which cuts nearly twice as fast at about the same weight, if not a tad lighter.

Anyhow, it went on E-Bay, and I'm sure someone someplace is still cutting firewood with it......Cliff

I am rebuilding an 038 Super. You have just given me the motivation to finish it. Thanks!

038 Magnum

I just scored a 038 Magnum yesterday for $250. It is in great shape, looks like it has less then 50 hours, was taken in by our local Stihl shop, from a older gentleman who no longer could lift it so I was told. It came with a 32" bar, runs really well.

The attached photo is before I started cleaning it up.

I had one until about a year ago. Good saw, dead solid reliable, would sit for years and start with 2-3 pulls and run flawlessly.

Now the bad news, it used more fuel per cord of wood cut than any saw I've ever owned.

Barely able to manage the 24" bar is was equipped with.

Anemic compared to a Husqvarna 268XP, which cuts nearly twice as fast at about the same weight, if not a tad lighter.

Anyhow, it went on E-Bay, and I'm sure someone someplace is still cutting firewood with it......Cliff

That 038M must have been whipped. They put out more HP than a 268XP and with 5cc more displacement lot more torque. No way a 268xp is twice as fast unless the 038M has a rocked chain. They do weigh about a pond more, though

Mine handles hardwood with a 25" bar without a problem.

The 038S I converted to a 038M and matched the port to /opened up the muffler is even stronger.

o38 magnum

They are good saws. They are not slow cutting, but like the 028 family, heavy compared to the newer stuff

My 038 super really runs good. Good firewood saw.

+1 Great Saw

Mine wears a 20" bar for hardwoods and a 24" when a big pine gets in my way.

I actually use it more than my 361.

BTW...if you're in NH one came up on CL a few days ago. I don't know if it's still available but at the asking price it just might be.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/888389531.html

Great saw, but heavy. I have cut a lot of wood with mine. It is giving me some trouble right now, though, so I have some work to do to get it right again. I recently put new rings and seals in it, and that helped a lot. It is now shutting off on idle and bogs down when giving gas. This saw is over 20 years old, so I guess it is time for some trouble, as it has been problem free until recently. It was very dependable and very powerful. Cuts fast with a sharp chain, slow with a dull chain.

"That 038M must have been whipped. They put out more HP than a 268XP and with 5cc more displacement lot more torque. No way a 268xp is twice as fast unless the 038M has a rocked chain. They do weigh about a pond more, though"

Actually, I rebuilt the 038 as it was extracted from a dumpster along with two other Stihl saws. It only required a P/C and we had it up and running. Keep in mind when you read this, that we work on saws, and get to repair and test lots of different brands and models. I'm not brand specific, just try to post usable and accurate information as I know it to be. Sometimes that will include information that some folks simply don't want to hear.

Take a Husqvarna 268XP Special with a 20" bar and cut side by side with a Stihl 038 with a 24" bar. The 038 is pretty much maxxed out with the longer bar, but does OK. The Husky will cut much, much faster. I'm also certain that the 038 would have faired better with a shorter bar.

As mentioned, our 038 Mag was a very good saw, decent power, tad heavy, etc. You only have to run a Husky 268, 272, or 372XP one time before the 038 starts spending a LOT of time on the shelf!........Cliff

"That 038M must have been whipped. They put out more HP than a 268XP and with 5cc more displacement lot more torque. No way a 268xp is twice as fast unless the 038M has a rocked chain. They do weigh about a pond more, though"

Actually, I rebuilt the 038 as it was extracted from a dumpster along with two other Stihl saws. It only required a P/C and we had it up and running. Keep in mind when you read this, that we work on saws, and get to repair and test lots of different brands and models. I'm not brand specific, just try to post usable and accurate information as I know it to be. Sometimes that will include information that some folks simply don't want to hear.

Take a Husqvarna 268XP Special with a 20" bar and cut side by side with a Stihl 038 with a 24" bar. The 038 is pretty much maxxed out with the longer bar, but does OK. The Husky will cut much, much faster. I'm also certain that the 038 would have faired better with a shorter bar.

As mentioned, our 038 Mag was a very good saw, decent power, tad heavy, etc. You only have to run a Husky 268, 272, or 372XP one time before the 038 starts spending a LOT of time on the shelf!........Cliff

A 61cc 038? or a 72cc 038M? Yea, a 038 will get smoked by a 68 cc 268XP.

If it was a rebuilt 038M, did you use OEM parts or Chi-com parts?

Again, my 72cc 038 saws have no problem with 25" bars in hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, beech).

Too bad you are so far away, I'd give you a run in the same wood with one of my 72cc 038s vs. a 268XP. BOTH with a 25" bar, same chains, buried in hardwood.

Latest posts

Back