The Things People Throw Away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the 60s & 70s I never bought a lawnmower, just went to the dump & picked up whatever turned over and still had comp, usually the carb was gunked up or flywheel was rusty. easy peasy.

John
Done that a few times, People leave gas in them and they won't start the next spring and they go buy a new one. Getting harder to find them now as they are not cheap anymore. most get em fixed now.

they had bicycles back then?
lol

Back then, we didn't even have cameras.

So, all I could do, was post a drawing of what we rode.

th

As a kid, I'd go to the dump with my dad. Back then, the dump was unattended and you could dump trash for free. Just drive in, back up somewhere, and toss what ya brung.

Anyways, my dad always looked forward to making dump runs. Sometimes, he wouldn't even have a full load and he'd wanna go to the dump. There would be times that he'd take close to an hour just checking things out and walking around, before we were ready to leave.

For various reasons, I suspect my first bicycle came from a dump. :rolleyes:
And ya made a few good memories ther too.

Last time i was ther with my boy i put a nail threw the tire. sure he will remember that day. Hurry get the darn thing unloaded i for got my spair. Lol and we made it hme before it hit the rim.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I took two of my girls shooting at the village dump today. As I was backing up to turn around and head back to the house, I saw a propane cylinder, one of those 30-pounders you see under grills. I got out of my truck, walked over to where it was stacked upon some junk, and checked it out. I expected bullet holes, but saw none. Hmmmm....I opened the valve and whhooooooossseee! It still has gas in it! Crazy.

I was turning towards my truck when I spied something orange in a 55-gallon drum. Sitting right in front of me was a beautiful little Husqvarna 36. I attempted to get it out, but it is frozen into something. I am going to go get it tomorrow when I pick up the spousal unit. I'll take some tools to make sure I can get it out of the frozen dirt it is in, it isn't solidly inside the dirt, just kinda on the surface. From what I could see, it looked to be in absolutely excellent condition.

I'll post pics.

If you are near any military instalations, there are frequently crazy things thrown out around them. Suddenly get new orders/posting. Moving to Hawaii, or DC, or a Ship, and don't want to pay to put everything in storage? Into the dumpster it goes, even if still good.

I found a beautiful McCulloch 5700 in a dump one day. All it needed was clean up and a carb tune. Saw runs perfectly today. Here it is with a 28" bar on board that it pulls without groaning:

It bucked every round that you see in the truck bed. Once in awhile I give my Stihl 046 a rest and use the Mac 5700. Life is good.

I'm one of the 2 attendants at out township transfer station...all dumpsters that the trucks come & empty... and your right on the stuff people pitch. My self I've gotten a Stihl BG65 blower like new, a 2000 and 2300 Poulans in excellent shape, Jred 2040 along with other stuff. All the stuff I listed just needed was fuel lines & carb rebuild. Some I keep, some I pass along. Spring is the best time when everyone wants to use it and it won't start. They bring in the bad one and go buy a new one.

I found a beautiful McCulloch 5700 in a dump one day. All it needed was clean up and a carb tune. Saw runs perfectly today. Here it is with a 28" bar on board that it pulls without groaning:

It bucked every round that you see in the truck bed. Once in awhile I give my Stihl 046 a rest and use the Mac 5700. Life is good.

Nice looking McCulloch. I remember them from way back. Still have a soft spot in my heart for um.

You should see what they toss in scrapyards....blows my mind. Picked up an antique forge blower and riveter's forge pan a while back. Picked up an engine driven air compressor as well, and a worm gear Milwaukee circular saw....engine drive welders(lincolns)...running generators(old onan's), mowers, saws, etc.. Also have two Poulan 44 two man saws that I picked up at a scrapyard....and have since found the powerheads for two more.

I really gotta watch when I go to the landfill. I don't want to weigh more going out than when I went in! Lol!
Glaf our land fill is old school. No scales. Plus i know the guy and take him few venison steaks and couple packs of fish each year and no charge dumping. And free treasure hunting.[emoji6]

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

The local municipal dump will not allow removing anything from it, and it's strictly enforced.
However I would really have liked somebody to pick the Linhai engine I dumped there a couple years ago. On the outside it looked great but... broken mechanical governor, worn piston rings, needed a new carburetor... :laugh:

20160120_084639.jpg Nothin special here although ive had a few good garbage picks over the years , this bar was in the garbage can at my stihl dealer on monday and i asked why..he said some guy brought it in and the nose was froze up so we just gave him a new one , i just smiled and took it home..5 minutes with some penetrating oil and its loose as can be , i have no use for a 25" bar but i figured what the hell.

View attachment 480102 Nothin special here although ive had a few good garbage picks over the years , this bar was in the garbage can at my stihl dealer on monday and i asked why..he said some guy brought it in and the nose was froze up so we just gave him a new one , i just smiled and took it home..5 minutes with some penetrating oil and its loose as can be , i have no use for a 25" bar but i figured what the hell.
Man that bar looks brand new, just amazing how lazy and unwilling to try to fix things people are today. I went to the local repair shop last winter to buy some NOS tecumseh parts and there were new snow throwers lined up outside all with service tags on them.
When I asked the kid if they were new he said "yes" so why the service tags I asked? The answer..................
"There out of gas"
But I love these people because, they put them on the curb for me to drive by and grab or sell em for dirt on CL and I flip em for an incredible profit. Lol

Nice looking McCulloch. I remember them from way back. Still have a soft spot in my heart for um.
This saw starts all the time, has good compression, pulls that 28" bar with ease, oils OK, etc. I could never sell it for what it's worth, so I keep it for old time's sake. Saving it from the landfill was a pleasure. I still cannot figure out why the original owner threw it away. The chain brake handle has minor damage but works fine. That's it.

If you are near any military instalations, there are frequently crazy things thrown out around them. Suddenly get new orders/posting. Moving to Hawaii, or DC, or a Ship, and don't want to pay to put everything in storage? Into the dumpster it goes, even if still good.

The .gov pays to store it. I spent almost 12 years in the .mil, I can't remember much good stuff at the dump 9n base.

Latest posts

Back