The truth about Auto-Tune and M-Tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustihler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to dedicate this thread to shedding light on how many problems or lack of problems with Husqvarna auto-tune saws and Stihl M-tronic saws. I have seen a lot of threads lately bashing both systems(some by people who havent even used/tried either system). I would like to hear from people who actually own or have owned these saws. I would like to know who's actually having problems with these saws, what the problem is, and how it was resolved; also I want to hear from people who own these saws and don't have any issues and how long they've been used for/owned. I'll start, I own both a 550xp and a 562xp and they are both in the shop right now for warm/hot start issues(I actually started a thread about these issues earlier this week). To be more specific, I have owned the 562xp since early July 2012 and I started having issues with it about 3 weeks ago; it will cold start perfectly but once it gets warm, restarts consistently take about 5-7 pulls sometimes more(this problem wasn't apparent when I first got it, was always 1 to 3 pulls like normal warm starts on most saws) , but I could always get it to restart. The saw is of course under warranty, so it's at the dealer right now for repair. My 550xp, which I've owned since August 2012, will also cold start flawlessly, but once it gets warm/hot it would restart properly sometimes, but would get to the point that now matter how many pulls it would not restart unless you let it sit at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer. According to my dealer, both saws are getting new carbs and coils; I'll let you guys know when I get them back if that fixes my issues.
I'm personally a big fan of this new technology and IMHO the 550 and 562 are both fantastic saws, even though I'm going thru some "growing pains" right now.
I know this won't be a definitive "poll" of sorts, but I'm just trying to separate myth from reality. I just want the "nay-sayers" to see that more people are having good experiences, rather than bad; at least thats what I hope, lol. Of course I could be wrong. I know I can't sway other people's opinions, but at least hopefully we can put some facts out there for all to see. Of course here's some pre-shop pics.View attachment 253770View attachment 253771

550XP here. No real issues, other than having to engage fast idle when warm, sometimes. My saw is ported and muffler modded by me. One great thing about AutoTune, my saw had an air leak and the AT compensated for it. A carb saw may have let it lean seize.

Last edited:
my 562xpg fires up first pull when warm everytime, altho after about 10 mins I gotta choke on then choke off just for that little bit of throttle for a 1 pull start. ill see what happens when its -35c out. I love that 562, she's a great saw.

I don't have one but would love to have the new carbs on all my saws. I wouln't miss worrying if my saw is set too lean or if im leaving power in the saw...

And hell you know you're leaving some power in the saw, especially when youre cutting 2 and 20" pieces with the same saw, at one point the mix will be off.

550XP here. No real issues, other than having to egage fast idle when warm, sometimes. My saw is ported and muffler modded by me. One great thing about AutoTune, my saw had an air leak and the AT compensated for it. A carb saw may have let it lean seize.

You mean an ignorant operator would have let it lean seize.

No different than any other new saws that become available, just the AT/MT component give people with little understanding an easy way out.

The 346/026 in all shapes and forms are the most problematic saws that exist..........if you want to go based upon what people talk about. Hell 80 percent of users cant warm start a Husqvarna or Stihl properly anyways.

The AT system is incredible, MT?? don't know Stihl doesn't want to come out and play.

550XP = Perfect.

441C = Perfect.

Mine are massaged by the best. I trust engine builders way more than MOST Dealers (Spike60 one of the exceptions). Support is the key in new technology if you only work with Dealers. Just like racing, the Teams know way more than those who sell the product.

550XP = Perfect.

441C = Perfect.

Mine are massaged by the best. I trust engine builders way more than MOST Dealers (Spike60 one of the exceptions). Support is the key in new technology if you only work with Dealers. Just like racing, the Teams know way more than those who sell the product.

Support is a key component, but we are still talking 2-stokes. Engine builders are for the few, everything else is for the masses. The At system makes the everyday day saw massaged by the best out of the box for 99% of the users.

Have Stihl 441c used through summer about 10 tanks , no hot start issues or others, will see how she fairs cold weather!

Same here. No problems with the 441C other than the smile it puts on my face when I cut with it. Am down to one Swedish candle, so hopefully I can find some good logs tomorrow, course still have some blowdown from the june storms to cut up too.

Hav'ent had my 441C long enough to comment on long term, but I will say that it runs flawlessly so far. You can just hear the perfection in the engine everytime you give it the throttle.

I have no issues with my 441 R-CM, I'm not sure if this is a issue but sometimes when it's a little cold out, the chain will creep along the guide bar. but I have had other saws do this as well when it's cold.

On a side note today, I was just about out of gas and it would not idle down per-say it would spin the chain at reasonable speed... first time this has happened, other than that I have been more than pleased.

How about guys who sell and work on them?

Only M-Tronic we have gotten back for any type of repair...replace the spring mounts with the "hard mount kit" after the guy yanked it out of a tree...

I think he used the cable on the skidder...:msp_mellow:

Could someone give a Auto Tune/M-Tronic for dummies lesson? I have a basic understanding of how a carburator works. How are these new technologies different?

Could someone give a Auto Tune/M-Tronic for dummies lesson? I have a basic understanding of how a carburator works. How are these new technologies different?

There are video's on you tube...

Used my 550 the last 4 days at work, approx. 22 tanks of gas. Was a little hard to start once after I ran it completely out of gas. Chalked it up to user stupidity.

On another note I modded the muffler today.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back