The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the tank is two parts. the top and bottom with a gasket in between. it will make much more sense when its all apart!:msp_thumbup:

Came to work this morning, and whatcha know? One of the sales guys who knows I have been on the hunt fer saws dropped me off a 7-10 with a full wrapper on it. It needs some TLC, but it is all there:rock: will have to get a pick or 2 up of it.

I have a couple of 7-10's, one later model with the pop up type compression release and one earlier model with the lever type compression release. When you have a healthy one, they are almost as much fun and the 82 cc variety.

I have a 5-10 with the full wrap bars, and one more full wrap handle for the 10 Series but I haven't fit it up to a saw yet to know if it will work with the "high top" models or only the earlier "fast back" type.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Last edited:
Well the 7-10 has a reed type muffler, though it is not the flatter style that was on the PM700, it fits really good on the PM700. It had a couple holes on the back of the muff plenum, don't know why they were there, so I tacked on a piece of plate on the inside to block them. Put the 700 all back together and it is running nice, after 4+ months sitting in the shop, started wih 4 pulls. I will change up the B/C and put a shorty on it so I can fit the Timberjig and get to milling. Pics tomorrow.:rock:

As advertised a couple pics of the PM700 with the new muff. It sure is quieter with this muffler as opposed to the flatter, shallower one that was on it.
attachment.php

Cant wait to sink that short bar into some milling action, I bet it will cut nicely!:rock:

attachment.php

Sporting the 7-10 muffler.

attachment.php

this pic shows what the original muffler looked like. Similar in concept but a lot lower profile than the older muffler that i just put on it, and noticably quieter too!

Hey Murdock - (WHY are you so 'mad'?) Didn't you have a buddy restoring a 10-10 for his Dad for Father's Day? How'd it turn out?

Hey Murdock - (WHY are you so 'mad'?) Didn't you have a buddy restoring a 10-10 for his Dad for Father's Day? How'd it turn out?

(Mad like "mad"scientist mad). Yeah, he finished it, I should have taken a pic of it. It looks like a brand new saw, and smells like one too, as the new paint has to "burn in". I will see if he can send me a pic, I bet he took a couple, and post it up on this thread.

(Mad like "mad"scientist mad). Yeah, he finished it, I should have taken a pic of it. It looks like a brand new saw, and smells like one too, as the new paint has to "burn in". I will see if he can send me a pic, I bet he took a couple, and post it up on this thread.

Cool ... lookin' forward to it! :popcorn:

Took the tank apart tonight and cleaned it out. This is what it looked like before. Found part of a spring and a 1/3" piece of fuel line in it also. Maybe seal it up Tue night and scare up a fuel filter in the next few days to give it a go. Guess it wouldn't hurt to pressure test it while its on the bench.

Sent on the fly.

I have a couple of 7-10's, one later model with the pop up type compression release and one earlier model with the lever type compression release. When you have a healthy one, they are almost as much fun and the 82 cc variety.

I have a 5-10 with the full wrap bars, and one more full wrap handle for the 10 Series but I haven't fit it up to a saw yet to know if it will work with the "high top" models or only the earlier "fast back" type.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Good looking saws. Would that full-wrap fit a 10-10s? I put spikes on mine from a PM 800 and I want to give it a 28" bar. A full wrap would really take the cake.

It ain't no fun when your saw don't run. My 10-10s starts fine, but when it's hot it won't take throttle. Idles all day, but it will not accept throttle and it dies. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I don't think the "round" full wrap bar as shown on the 5-10 would work on the 7-10; not enough clearance for your hand between the bar and the top of the fuel tank.

Try setting the L and H jets slightly richer to see if it helps, could just be the fuel line is soft or missing the internal spring and collapses when it is warm.

Mark

It ain't no fun when your saw don't run. My 10-10s starts fine, but when it's hot it won't take throttle. Idles all day, but it will not accept throttle and it dies. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark notes some good points on the carb adjustment and possible missing spring.

Test the compression cold ... as a saw warms up, the compression decreases a bit. If you're crossing that 'threshold' you may not have enough compression to rev it good.

Regarding previous post, the fuel line inside the tank is crumbly & needs to be replaced. Hopefully that cures all ills.

Finally got to put the Timberjig to some wood using the PM700 with a 16" Mac hard nose bar, and standard run of the mill 72lgx full comp chain. I sharpened it about a 1/2 tank in(new chain) and brought the cutter angle close to 10 deg. It cut quite a bit smoother after that. Now I need to put picco chain on it and it will mill even faster! It was pretty quick. I was milling a 12' long piece of doug fir I cut last summer (late) so it was real dry. Would have gone quicker if it were green. I got 64 bd ft of 2x8's out of that piece. When I started it had one slab taken off. I finished the log working solo in about 35-40 minutes, including stopping to sharpen and refuel. Not too shabby. :rock:

Had this one in my hands for a while and tinkered here an there with it. Got the urge to put it back together tonight. Put a little mix down the carb just to lube it up. Gave a few pulls once the handle was back on and Bam. Decided to pop off for me. LOL. Hopefully cleaning it, the fuel tank and the carb and fuel line will be enough to get it to run well. If not then time to rebuild the carb I guess.

Updated pics

View attachment 303910
View attachment 303912
View attachment 303913

Sent on the fly.

Last edited:
That is a clean looking older model.

One day I will get busy on the 10-10 pile and make up a few runners. I have one NOS cylinder/crank case but I'm still looking for a stock piston (69212) to make one like new again.

I do have a pretty good selection of saws to pull from to try and end up with a few variations on the shelf. I have one very early one that runs, as well as 2 or 3 of the 10-10S variety. Just need a few others to fill in the middle. I may even have a PM 10-10 up in the attic as the foundation for a project.

Mark

That is a clean looking older model.

One day I will get busy on the 10-10 pile and make up a few runners. I have one NOS cylinder/crank case but I'm still looking for a stock piston (69212) to make one like new again.

I do have a pretty good selection of saws to pull from to try and end up with a few variations on the shelf. I have one very early one that runs, as well as 2 or 3 of the 10-10S variety. Just need a few others to fill in the middle. I may even have a PM 10-10 up in the attic as the foundation for a project.

Mark

Yep. I've seen some of your pictures. You have one heck of a collection. I imagine you could put quite a few together.

Can't wait to hear it run. May have to keep it a while to annoy the neighbors for a week or so. No b/c for it though so back to the buddy it goes and onto the PM605 with no spark.

Sent on the fly.

Latest posts

Back