The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run my 10-10a any chance i can get. ................... has anyone ever made a pipe for a 10 series McCulloch ?

I bet you could fashion a short open pipe off the old muffler, would even sound cooler I bet:msp_thumbup:

Here is the best 10-10 I have.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I prefer my 7-10 over the PM700, seems lighter and more nimble and definitely has more snot. The 7-10 looks just like the 10-10 of it's day.

I think the problem with any of the PM series is the large clutch cover and brake assembly just makes them seem too big and too clumsy.

Mark

I've never run a 7-10 but I occasionally run my 700 and it seems to do well. Doesn't have that big side cover either, no chain brake. Nice thing about this type of saw is that you can configure it to suit yourself.

Mac 10-10A Serial # - What Year?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone in this thread can help me identify the year of my Grandfather's 10-10A RHP. On the bottom it is stamped 10 16501. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

I wanted to start this thread to pay honors to the venerable McCulloch 10-10 series saw. One of the first saws I went to the woods with nigh on 35+ years ago. The saw you wanted to kill but would never die. A saw that once forgotten, still can hold it's own amongst all the newer saws out there. A saw that was built in such numbers and is still so prevalent, that i like to refer to it as the "chevy 350" of chainsaws. I have ran several and owned 3, hopefully will be getting into a few more here within a couple weeks. My favorite variety is the current one, a 1969 production year by SN, right hand start. It is one of the lightest saws of its size I have handled, and with a 20" B/C really does well, even with the bar buried completley in wood (cutting Doug Fir). A real "no frills" working machine, IMO, Here's to the Mac 10-10:rock::rock:

Hats off!!! I fully Agree!!! My first and one of my favorites. A true classic and you described it so very well. It felt, smelled, and sounded like a chainsaw should. And that thumb manual oiler; your thumb either got stronger or you quit cutting!! What a machine. We used to use straight 30 weight in it, from about 16:1 to 30:1 depending on how much we were drinking that day. Had a wood business with 2 other guys, but it seemed like about a dozen different guys got involved during the oil embargo of the early 70's. Wild times and that Mac 10-10 was our main saw. We also had a Lombard. But that 10-10 always ran and we cut some serious wood with it. So much there's a Strip Mall there now!!! Long live the 10-10!!!!

Pics of Mac 10-10A

Attached are some pics recently taken of the Mac 10-10A (I haven't quite figured out how to imbed yet.)

The 10 series saws of Mc Culloch do deserve a thread of their own at AS, I guess. A real succesfull model that conquered a good part of europe as well, partly because it had a very good quality/price ratio. I bet if Mc Culloch had been able to improve that model a bit with a better muffler, a lighter chain brake and some decent AV, they had have a real winner. Nevertheless, they get my respect.

attachment.php

Sounds like you just described the PM800, thing is I don't like the lack of noise from that one!

Good to hear from you Roland, hope the new job is going well and that you continue to pay a lot of taxes to keep the rest of Europe afloat.

Mark

GRRRRRRRRRR, you can say that again. The new job is going a bit too well, I don't have time for saws these days anymore :sucks:

lots of travel as well, China is going to become my new business home for the next year or so.

Hope Iowa stays clear of tornado's and sees many GTG's.;)

Good to hear you're working and it sounds like your company values you, otherwise they'd not be sending you to China.

What happened to your avatar? :msp_confused:

Good to hear you're working and it sounds like your company values you, otherwise they'd not be sending you to China.

What happened to your avatar? :msp_confused:

Well, I actually never quit working, just changed to a new job almost 2 years ago. Yes, China is a big market for our company, and someone had to to it, but I am not looking forward to all this travelling again.

My avatar, hmmmm....I just thought I keep her all for myself for a while....:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

GRRRRRRRRRR, you can say that again. The new job is going a bit too well, I don't have time for saws these days anymore :sucks:

lots of travel as well, China is going to become my new business home for the next year or so.

Hope Iowa stays clear of tornado's and sees many GTG's.;)

There are worse places in the world than China, trust me on that one...

Just be sure to opt for bottled beverages and never ask what you are eating, if it goes down and stays down, have some more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Back