The working end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFM

jack of all trades...master of none
Reaction score
So let's get to it. What chains work best and with what angles on the tooth. 3/8 or 404.....

I like this thread, I've been wondering the same thing. The only saw I have running a .404 chain is my 880 and I was thinking of switching it to 3/8 so I can buy reels of chain and have all saws running the same thing. Honestly I tend to think the 880 will pull a 3/8 chain better. I'm only running a 36" bar on that. And I'm still looking for the sweet spot as far as angles go.

Well this sucks, I guess were alone on this one. Was really looking forward to learning something here.....:blob2:

This will Bump you up. I think your question is just too vague for the masses. What is the best oil? best chain saw ? etc. Please narrow it down a little.

This will Bump you up. I think your question is just too vague for the masses. What is the best oil? best chain saw ? etc. Please narrow it down a little.

pretty simplistic question.... which chain 3/8 or 404 have people have the best success with, to get more into with what cc saw, pin size and bar length. More so what angles are thee teeth set at ( top plate, top plate cutting angle.....) what is your depth..... full house, semi skip, full skip..... .050 .058 .060 the list goes on. Be as in depth as possible...... what works best for you :msp_thumbsup:

pretty simplistic question.... which chain 3/8 or 404 have people have the best success with, to get more into with what cc saw, pin size and bar length. More so what angles are thee teeth set at ( top plate, top plate cutting angle.....) what is your depth..... full house, semi skip, full skip..... .050 .058 .060 the list goes on. Be as in depth as possible...... what works best for you :msp_thumbsup:

Really depends on what wood is being cut as well!

lets say we set it for hickorey, black locus, iron wood..... anything else, if set to these specs, should go through just fine......

Back