The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norm,
here's a few pics from Saturday, gives you an idea of where I was working..... :msp_ohmy:
Notice the propane tank in the first picture. :msp_tongue:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here's the video that goes with the pictures..... :msp_rolleyes:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tILYq0Gatc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the video that goes with the pictures..... :msp_rolleyes:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tILYq0Gatc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NHLocal!

I'm glad that I'm not the only person with that particular climb line and that seems to work solo for the most part! Ain't it a joy when you get a competent homeowner that wants to assist with untying your climb line from the load. You're the first person I've seen use their climb line around a limb setting so much friction for a hefty peace like that. You've liberated yourself from the possible headache of paying and baby sitting a ground guy. ANYWAYS .. .. HERE'S what I've been practicing, just some different rigging set up for blocking down wood.

View attachment 310279

This here is just a simple 9 foot peace of rope with a bowline to attach my block. Attached it to the limb using a cow hitch. Its very snug and the throat is short so with that, less free fall. After my face cut I'll then use a half hitch and a running bowline. Both the running bowline and the half hitch share the load. The advantage that I can see from this set up is that it has a lot less free fall, and with the amount of weight I've been working with at times, this is a big advantage. Also I've picked up on the timber hitch to set my block; plus along with that I could even use a marlin hitch and a clove hitch, which would share the load as well in a similar set up. All of these knots/hitches have some different behavioral characteristics; of which, can be selected for a particular situation. So with that said, Just wanted to share that I've been studying some better methodology than what I had been using before.

I sure hope I don't get washed out today for a big job. . . . Btw I got this peace of wood out of a tree. It was aerially selected by myself. It is Oak. If you guys want some of this kinda wood for free let me know.

Last edited:
Nice "tight" setup, I have that same block(s)(CMI stainless steel, both 3/4" and 5/8").
I work solo more out of necessity than anything else. The tree work is part time for me so I've
learned to make it safe and workable doing it myself. I got all my "basic/foundation" knowledge
from the Working Climber DVD's by GF Beranek. That's where I learned "natural crotch" rigging.
It's bare bones rigging that works great, especially when I'm working solo. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks for sharing those tips, I appreciate it. :)

310279-20130817_215041-jpg

Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Nice work u two! Friday after work, went right to a tree job. My friends Frank and Nick. Owed em one, they been outa the loop on the last few. Forgot my camera. But some heavy limbing, and a few smaller oak removals. Long day but worthwhile finished in 5 hours cut last tree and chipped it five minutes before dark.

I'm worn out today. Just did another two jobs. Thought I better report in here . . Ill try to put some picks and short vids of some things I did now that I might take tomorrow off unless something nice jumps out infront of me again. These two weeks have been going great.

Randy Yep! a close one, but the 395 ate some wood! CJ two jobs eh, busy my friend, sounds like a good run. Hey you guy's mentioned the cmi blocks, how do you like them?

Randy Yep! a close one, but the 395 ate some wood! CJ two jobs eh, busy my friend, sounds like a good run. Hey you guy's mentioned the cmi blocks, how do you like them?

LOVE 'EM!!! There're bullet proof from what I can tell. :msp_thumbup:
I've never used any others so I have nothing to compare them to, but
they have worked great for everything I've used them for. :D

It’s really the first block that I've used. Before I was using pullies; though, to the contrast of that: With the block you can set it up to have much less free fall/Shock loading -via, an almost immediate tension to the friction set up. Some people go out and buy an eyes sling to hook up the block with, and then use a hitch such as a cow hitch, timber hitch (which can be tied, dressed and set to have a very short throat) which just takes some YouTube inquisitively and the tenacity to tackle the practice of such a hitch. So with all that said (maybe irrelevant to your question) I'd say it seems much lighter than the block that my friends picked up from a flea market, plus its stainless steel. It was about a hundred bucks or so. You can get some imitation of it like my friends did at the flea market maybe if you keep an eye out (which might have a 600 work load limit) but the one we have also has a much higher work load limit too.

Last edited:
LOVE 'EM!!! There're bullet proof from what I can tell. :msp_thumbup:
I've never used any others so I have nothing to compare them to, but
they have worked great for everything I've used them for. :D

NHlocal I had a job I went out and did for someone new, and I ended up in a position to where I had to put into practice one of the things you did in your video with my rigging line. I set friction around a nub - wrapping outward and away from where the load tension end of the line is. Then tied unto the work load with a cow hitch. I was able to take one wrap out ofter I made the cut with the way it was set up much how you did.
Sometimes time is money and a factor in play that makes it worth leaving all the bells and whistles alone on occasion.

I forgot, I actually have three, all CMI.

The top one is Stainless 5/8", MBS is 28,000lbs, which gives you a 2800lbs WLL at 10:1
the lower one in the first pic is plain steel 3/4", MBS is 25,000lbs, which gives you a 2500lbs WLL at 10:1

attachment.php

This one is Stainless 3/4", MBS is 40,000lbs, which gives you a 4000lbs WLL at 10:1

attachment.php

That'll "pretty much" cover whatever I'm gonna need to rig out..... :hmm3grin2orange:

NHlocal I had a job I went out and did for someone new, and I ended up in a position to where I had to put into practice one of the things you did in your video with my rigging line. I set friction around a nub - wrapping outward and away from where the load tension end of the line is. Then tied unto the work load with a cow hitch. I was able to take one wrap out ofter I made the cut with the way it was set up much how you did.
Sometimes time is money and a factor in play that makes it worth leaving all the bells and whistles alone on occasion.

I learned that from Mr. Beranek in the Working Climber DVD's. I use often, it's a big time saver for me.
A word of caution I received and I'll pass along to you, using your climb line for rigging is "bad". With that
said, I still use that technique often making sure whatever I rig down is on the "smaller" side..... :msp_thumbup:
Good to hear my video was a help, thanks. :)

Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Ok, I started out with the pulley on the right. Its not the legit arbor stuff but it got me by. Similar to what my friends got from the flee market (not recommended for a couple reasons). They ground the hook off and fastened a rope to the upper bolt to form a block and a tail to tie unto trees with. The middle pulley is what I had upgraded to for quite some time. but it has its limits. If I'm going to hang that pulley in the upper canopy well above the work load its fine to use for somewhat heavier applications;plus, it opens up quickly for placement of a large carabiner, and with the large carabiner hook it where you may. This pulley doesn't handle shock load, and I've seen them warp before with other crews. The one to the left is my new baby. It unscrews speedily for the placement of a desired rigging rope of my choice: via, eye spliced rope, or a down graded rigging line with a bowline knot.

Hey NHLocal, How are you blowing up the pictures like that?

:rock:

Last edited:
Ok, I started out with the pulley on the right. Its not the legit arbor stuff but it got me by. Similar to what my friends got from the flee market (not recommended for a couple reasons). They ground the hook off and fastened a rope to the upper bolt to form a block and a tail to tie unto trees with. The middle pulley is what I had upgraded to for quite some time. but it has its limits. If I'm going to hang that pulley in the upper canopy well above the work load its fine to use for somewhat heavier applications;plus, it opens up quickly for placement of a large carabiner, and with the large carabiner hook it where you may. This pulley doesn't handle shock load, and I've seen them warp before with other crews. The one to the left is my new baby. It unscrews speedily for the placement of a desired rigging rope of my choice: via, eye spliced rope, or a down graded rigging line with a bowline knot.

Hey NHLocal, How are you blowing up the pictures like that?

:rock:

Try this and see if it helps.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/picture-forum/189124.htm

310702-20130821_171803-jpg

The working man, has been wrapped up too much, in his own tree work, hunting etc. Been a great road, but missed smelling the rose along the way. Yesterday was one of the best days I have had in so long. Just family and friends, bbq here. Some of the dearest people in my life. Gotta say I love u too Jeanne's uncle Clyed, one of my old wood cutting pals, who has come down with cancer. Had to walk in abit and clear a few tears, but hell was great to see a smile on his and everyones face yesterday

Norm,
you really need to take time to do that, at least once in a while.
Glad to hear you had a great day with friends and family. ;)
My wife reminds me from time to time to do the same. :D
Good to head from ya' Norm.
Have a safe week my friend. :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back