The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something I made today to put small logs into and buck them up fast. Used my Dolmar 9010 with a 28" bar on it to get all the way through the pile and it worked great with about a 1/2" of bar sticking out the other side. I love making stuff like this, it's a lot of fun. It took longer to put the tiny logs in the box than it did to cut them up.
0218121259.jpg

Did a little saw work today. Here's a picture of the little rounds out of one of the downed trees. I did knock down 5 cherries and one small cedar but no pictures of them.

2012-02-18_16-08-26_281.jpg

Great thread

Hey, great thread! Love seeing the pics and hearing about many of your job descriptions. Hard work for sure, but absolutely has it's grand rewards! I'm no stranger to hard work either, just doesn't happen to be in the industry many of yours is ;). In my spare time I cut fire wood to heat our home as well as helping out a couple elderly/disabled folks in our area with fire wood too. Keep up the hard work and keep the pics coming. My bible says a man that doesn't work... shouldn't eat

Dont have any wood cutting pics to share, but I couldn't resist adding a pic of one of my oldie's but goodies:yoyo:

101_8858.jpg

Sam nice pictures once again:msp_thumbsup: You too Mike looks like some good cutting, and firewood:msp_thumbup: Oldmanriver thanks my friend, and sweet 041, that thing is in great shape. I have one in my shed pretty clean too. P.S I like what your bible says:msp_thumbup:

Oh yeah, Jeanie just brought me a new card reader, and I am trying to figure out how to reinstall the driver, to post those pics of those trees we took down for our friend. I will keep trying.

Here's the trio I took yesterday. I used all 3 of them and the 3120 made 3 cuts. The 066 made a few cuts and then I dropped the trees with the 555. They were all 18" and down do it made sense. Sawtroll should be proud since I used a 16" bar on the 555. The 3120 is super heavy when you have to lug it down the hill to make a couple cuts then back up to the truck. I don't think I'll pack it far from the truck any more. :msp_smile:

2012-02-19_07-29-44_109.jpg

2012-02-19_07-28-15_6.jpg

2012-02-19_07-30-42_309.jpg

Thanks Brian, and thanks for posting them up, don't know why I have trouble with it. You see I had my hard hat on, but did forget my chaps. I never used to wear chaps, but I try each time now, and try and make it a habit. Always have worn my hard hat I am working on Jesus, and John at least for hard hats LOL! Those were a few of the tress for our good friend Kevin who is also my veterenarian. He is a great guy, and one of my dogs Jude who recently had a surgery. Kevin loaned 800 dollars for the cause. The day we cut the trees I gave the money back to Kevin I goit back from the insurance co, I have for my dogs. He tried to give it to us for the work. We all turned our backs to the cash you don't get many friends like Kevin. You also don't get many friends Like John, and Jesus who had to work that day, and then drove an hour and ten minutes to help me, help a friend they did not even know only by word from me who he was. And would not take a dime, not even gas money. I don't have many, but I'm real lucky to have the friends I do:msp_thumbup: The other tree the first one I thought I got good pics, well asked Kevin to take em, but he got so busy enjoying watching us work, he had never seen tree work in person LOL! Anyway it was up rooted, and leaned in to the one we had to take down. So we threw a bull rope in it, and a block across the creek, and P.S thanks to Jeanie's dad who with ten minutes notice of a phone call showed up with his ford, and a winch, we pulled it over backwards away from the house. Just no way to safely cut it without being directly under it. Mike sweet saws man, and I like hearing your stories:rock: I can pack my 2101, and 660 all day even with a standard bar, but man I agree 3120 is a different animal. I have worked with, and met some great loggers and faller's. They all have one thing in common they all told me for the power if they were man enough, they would run a 088-3120, but even they never met anyone who could pack it all day. Just tried my first Stihl ES light, and so far me Like'y:msp_thumbup:

Norm I don't think it matters what bar is on a 3120 or 880 they're heavy to pack around. That saw will work pretty good noodling blocks up of bucking big wood in a lot.

Yeah your right, and just refering to the bar in general I just put one on a ms 460 at work. I agree though those things are tanks! I stick with my 660, and big husky they will do all we need here. Man above that as you know it's just a ton of weight. Imagine one with a 96in bar or even a 72-0r 84 man, oh man. We got one 66 here with a 48in Canon, and its managable. LOL! I just noticed to the light on your 3120, you were one of the first people I think to mention it to me, and a few others think I will get many more of em!

Last edited:
I got a 28" stihl light to go on the 372 or 066 when I get chain for it. The 36" weighs close to what a 24" stihl ES weighs.

Yep Mike, I am sold they seem durable too which I like. Tried those Oregon reduced weight before, and they had to be pampered a little. They also flex a hell of alot in the cut.

Back