The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay here's a few of our last takedowns.

Great pics Norm, so when do we get to see you up in the tree rigging those lines??? :biggrinbounce2:
Only if you're comfortable with it. It's good to have some one who has no problem climbing to get it done.;)
Only had time to take down one tree Saturday afternoon. :frown: Was able to take just a couple pics. It was a
Beech. The top had died out and broken off. It had about a 6 foot piece hanging from the top branches. The
lean was slight but it was in my favor, away from the house. Slight wind was against me so I put a rope in it. I haven't
had a throw line in my hand since last summer but was able to hit the mark on the second throw about 50ft up.
Pretty straight forward take down, no problems. Another hazardous tree taken care of. :msp_thumbsup: Thanks again for the pics!
Work safe;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Brian, and thanks for posting them up, don't know why I have trouble with it. You see I had my hard hat on, but did forget my chaps. I never used to wear chaps, but I try each time now, and try and make it a habit. Always have worn my hard hat I am working on Jesus, and John at least for hard hats LOL! Those were a few of the tress for our good friend Kevin who is also my veterenarian. He is a great guy, and one of my dogs Jude who recently had a surgery. Kevin loaned 800 dollars for the cause. The day we cut the trees I gave the money back to Kevin I goit back from the insurance co, I have for my dogs. He tried to give it to us for the work. We all turned our backs to the cash you don't get many friends like Kevin. You also don't get many friends Like John, and Jesus who had to work that day, and then drove an hour and ten minutes to help me, help a friend they did not even know only by word from me who he was. And would not take a dime, not even gas money. I don't have many, but I'm real lucky to have the friends I do:msp_thumbup: The other tree the first one I thought I got good pics, well asked Kevin to take em, but he got so busy enjoying watching us work, he had never seen tree work in person LOL! Anyway it was up rooted, and leaned in to the one we had to take down. So we threw a bull rope in it, and a block across the creek, and P.S thanks to Jeanie's dad who with ten minutes notice of a phone call showed up with his ford, and a winch, we pulled it over backwards away from the house. Just no way to safely cut it without being directly under it. Mike sweet saws man, and I like hearing your stories:rock: I can pack my 2101, and 660 all day even with a standard bar, but man I agree 3120 is a different animal. I have worked with, and met some great loggers and faller's. They all have one thing in common they all told me for the power if they were man enough, they would run a 088-3120, but even they never met anyone who could pack it all day. Just tried my first Stihl ES light, and so far me Like'y:msp_thumbup:
Norm, it is good to have good friends. :msp_thumbup: It's also good to maintain those friendships. Sounds like you're taking care of Kevin helping him with those trees. And John, Jesus, and Jeanie's Dad helping you get it all done. That's good to hear. :cool2: The hard hat is good, I'm all for PPE. Had it all Saturday, even for one "easy" tree, eyes, ears, head, legs, hands, and feet. They're all priceless to me, not worth taking the chance. :msp_thumbdn: Even on an "easy" tree(they're all dangerous).
Work safe! ::thumbsup::

Thanks Randy for all the kind words my friend. Great pics yourself:msp_thumbup: Me in the tree LOL! Someday soon you know how it is when you get a job, and you need the best or want to get it done. Well that is John, Jesus is really good too, but not at John's level yet. Some day when we get some recreational time, and have our gear I will give it a go. Dancan good stuff man!!

Felt like work

I sharpened about 8-10 loops of chain today, and adjusted the rakers on all of them! I think about every loop I had was dull LOL! 1 of them was a 36'' full comp, 1 was a 36'' skip, 1 28'' full comp, 2 28'' full comp square ground, and the rest were 24,20 and 16'' full comp with a few of them being square ground. Even cleaned the gullets out on the few square ground chains. I think I'd rather been working by the time I got done! :laugh:

Durand that' alot of work! And if you and I are alike the chain has to be dam near perfect, or I have a hard time walking away from it. Dancan that's cool when we help each other out, REP sent for Forsetryworks:rock:

Durand that' alot of work! And if you and I are alike the chain has to be dam near perfect, or I have a hard time walking away from it. Dancan that's cool when we help each other out, REP sent for Forsetryworks:rock:

Yep!! If it ain't, Im not running it. Im probably a little too anal about it sometimes though :laugh:. I just can't stand to see someone use the spikes as a crutch for a dull chain, and Im sure not gonna do it myself lol.

If you go extreme on the gullets with a 5/32" file you won't have to do them again for a few grinds. I want to try a cheap round grinder for gullets.

If you go extreme on the gullets with a 5/32" file you won't have to do them again for a few grinds. I want to try a cheap round grinder for gullets.

I seen some green thingymajig :laugh: at Tractor Supply the other day....thats what I though of. I didn't go extreme, but I should be good for a few grinds now.

Durand I am exactly the same way! And If I can't get that chain right it comes off! TSC I love that store:rock: Mike, and Durand not sure if you guys heard me say it before, but my experience with a grinder was back in the early 90's, and maybe a years worth. We have a silvey at work that I want to master, seems like alot of adjustments to learn but a great machine. I hand filed so many years for myself, because I have been good at maintaining and keep a chain sharp. But at work I maintain all the saws and we get into different situations. Cutting down trees wrapped in wire, nails in them. On the asphalt basically the worst case most the time. I got burned out handfiling all the saws. Been using the portable grinders, and really impressed, just learned how to do the rakers with them too. But have yet to do a chain that has been filed enough where I have to downsize the stone, to the next size down. So I will have to learn that. And may have to clean the gullets by hand eh? I am getting sold on the mechanical sharpening side though.

Durand I am exactly the same way! And If I can't get that chain right it comes off! TSC I love that store:rock: Mike, and Durand not sure if you guys heard me say it before, but my experience with a grinder was back in the early 90's, and maybe a years worth. We have a silvey at work that I want to master, seems like alot of adjustments to learn but a great machine. I hand filed so many years for myself, because I have been good at maintaining and keep a chain sharp. But at work I maintain all the saws and we get into different situations. Cutting down trees wrapped in wire, nails in them. On the asphalt basically the worst case most the time. I got burned out handfiling all the saws. Been using the portable grinders, and really impressed, just learned how to do the rakers with them too. But have yet to do a chain that has been filed enough where I have to downsize the stone, to the next size down. So I will have to learn that. And may have to clean the gullets by hand eh? I am getting sold on the mechanical sharpening side though.

I got pretty good at round filing, and wanted to give square a try. I can do good on one side of square, but I absolutly suck at filing the other side. So a good friend and member here picked up Silvey Razursharp II,,,well actually he picked up 2 and sold me one of them. Your right, they are ALOT of adjustments! Im no pro, but Im getting better with it. Practice makes perfect :laugh:.

photobucket-4965-1329087867398.jpg

Last edited:

This changed my whole world perspective Mike.....$40

View attachment 225033

Piece of ####, and works amazing for gullets. I don't know why I didn't buy one years ago!

I got pretty good at round filing, and wanted to give square a try. I can do good on one side of square, but I absolutly suck at filing the other side. So a good friend and member here picked up Silvey Razursharp II,,,well actually he picked up 2 and let me have one of them. Your right, they are ALOT of adjustments! Im no pro, but Im getting better with it. Practice makes perfect :laugh:.

Man that does a nice job. You got a good friend.

Will you got a good angle on that chain. You're rubbing the strap behind the cutter. It probably cuts real fast in soft wood. :cheers:

Great pics Norm, so when do we get to see you up in the tree rigging those lines??? :biggrinbounce2:
Only if you're comfortable with it. It's good to have some one who has no problem climbing to get it done.;)
Only had time to take down one tree Saturday afternoon. :frown: Was able to take just a couple pics. It was a
Beech. The top had died out and broken off. It had about a 6 foot piece hanging from the top branches. The
lean was slight but it was in my favor, away from the house. Slight wind was against me so I put a rope in it. I haven't
had a throw line in my hand since last summer but was able to hit the mark on the second throw about 50ft up.
Pretty straight forward take down, no problems. Another hazardous tree taken care of. :msp_thumbsup: Thanks again for the pics!
Work safe;)

That is a fine looking stump cut, and that beech will burn great. Good work!:rock:

Make some more work.....

I worked this morning .

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The leaner is a blowdown that is fetched up in some oaks , the excavator will pull that one down .
Great pics, :msp_thumbup: looks like you worked on making a whole lot more work. That's the kind of
work I like. Thanks for the pics. :msp_thumbsup:
Work safe. ::thumbsup::

Last edited:
Work safe;)

That is a fine looking stump cut, and that beech will burn great. Good work!:rock:
Ayuh, Beech is one of the "good" firewoods. Cutting firewood will "heat" you at least 5 or 6 times before you finally burn it. Good exercise too! :msp_thumbsup:

Ayuh, Beech is one of the "good" firewoods. Cutting firewood will "heat" you at least 5 or 6 times before you finally burn it. Good exercise too! :msp_thumbsup:

You got it, we cut close to 100 face cord a year to heat for five families. I get to get heat of it almost year round. I love cutting wood though, love everything about it, even the splitting and the stacking. I love milling with my homemade saw mill best of all with the 9010 on it:
1106111449.jpg

1106111144.jpg

Latest posts

Back