The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Randy I do, well hey 2 feet still looks like you got a good tree. Shane wow indeed, nice work my friend big job. Well done:rock:

Wow Shane,
that was a big job! :msp_ohmy: How long did it take to get that "finished up"? Well done on that one.
Time to make coffee and get ready for work.....
Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Since my primary job is taking care of my kids and my wife has been quite busy at work this job spanned over five days no more than say 6 hours at a time to get everything done. By done I mean cut everything down, cut it up, Other guy came in with grapple sklid loader and hauled the trees away and then I came back ground out stumps and completely cleaned and raked the site. It was a lot of work and when I'm at a job I trry to be full on without much dawdling. I was reall happy with how everything turned out. The one stump that is pictured still standing I tried to push over:laugh: no such luck I just left it. I told the guy that even though some of the stumps were up right they were cut off clean to be taken.

In my original bid I was only to clean up the stump areas but felt inclinded to finsh hand rake the site in the end. It took maybe two hours more to do that but gave the job a finished look. This work was done in a small town and even though I know I was not paid persay for that many people in these small towns stick thier noses where they don't belong so I though maybe I better step up and clean everything off so others might not think I dropped the ball on the church.

I was really happy with how the old 630A did as this was a real test to the machine to do that many large stumps (pines seem to be my toughest to grind, so chewy) back to back and it took quite well to it.

I also scored some saws from a guy that lives behind the church. Nothing to special but that will be in another post in a minute or two:msp_biggrin:

One thing I will add is I never damaged a chain on this job. I never changed one. I used my MS460 MS660 and MS261 and brought out the XL-12 for giggles to limb and I did not change one chain even with flush cutting the stumps. I'm sure the 660 could be freshened up but it is still cutting good. I saw some nails to as well in the trees:msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
I figured it took a few hours, great job my friend. And yep it pays to look around, and pay attention while cutting, those chains if only cutting wood, can go a piece! I cut firewood a whole summer with one of my old huskies, never filed it, never hit dirt either, stripped dirty bark, and being a little more carefull can help.

I love the make coffee part Randy. I am 100 percent coffee man! The 372 is back in my shed, got Dave a 034 and swapped it, he is handicapped, and when I swapped the 372 for the 288, he said even a smaller saw would be better. Man I was happy to hear I could get it back! I got the 288 polished up to some of it's former glory! Love it, and the sound, feels like it wants to jump out of your hands, and run!

I love the make coffee part Randy. I am 100 percent coffee man! The 372 is back in my shed, got Dave a 034 and swapped it, he is handicapped, and when I swapped the 372 for the 288, he said even a smaller saw would be better. Man I was happy to hear I could get it back! I got the 288 polished up to some of it's former glory! Love it, and the sound, feels like it wants to jump out of your hands, and run!

Norm,
that's great you're able to help out with the saw, nicely done. :msp_thumbup: And you got the 288 AND the 372 back, that's a great pair of saws, way to go "working man". :clap: Hmmmmm, polished up? You know that begs the question, pics please.....:msp_drool:
Ayuh, coffee is part of the morning routine, but it's got to be FRESH and strong. This "working man" really enjoys a cup that tastes just like it smells.....:msp_drool: ;)
And yes once again, time to make some coffee and get ready for work.....

Ok buddy I am slow, today off, drinking coffee by the fire. I will get myself up, and post pics! Yeah Im real happy, and he is the kind of guy, a saw is a tool he has no favorites, and no attachement. I told him my main concern was his safety, and being happy. And if that meant him keeping the 372 so be it, hes a great friend. Im glad he wanted the 034, because it is much safer with his handicaps. Aaron knows the saw, Chris my friend had it, then we got him a 575 logger. So he had no need for the 034. Aaron looked it over, we all did, it had a whistle at first I thought fly wheel. Aaron thought maybe crank bearing, we were not sure, but super clean, and runds awesome. I guaranteed it for my friend, told him ever any issues, it will be fixed by me NO Questions, so it comes with a lifetime warranty. He will use it maybe 5-6 times a year. If I did not feel it was dependabel, he would not have it, and he knows I stand behind what I say. Hey up to get more coffee!

Ok buddy I am slow, today off, drinking coffee by the fire. I will get myself up, and post pics! Yeah Im real happy, and he is the kind of guy, a saw is a tool he has no favorites, and no attachement. I told him my main concern was his safety, and being happy. And if that meant him keeping the 372 so be it, hes a great friend. Im glad he wanted the 034, because it is much safer with his handicaps. Aaron knows the saw, Chris my friend had it, then we got him a 575 logger. So he had no need for the 034. Aaron looked it over, we all did, it had a whistle at first I thought fly wheel. Aaron thought maybe crank bearing, we were not sure, but super clean, and runds awesome. I guaranteed it for my friend, told him ever any issues, it will be fixed by me NO Questions, so it comes with a lifetime warranty. He will use it maybe 5-6 times a year. If I did not feel it was dependabel, he would not have it, and he knows I stand behind what I say. Hey up to get more coffee!

Hey Norm,
good deal helping out with the saw. Thinking about his safety with the saw is exactly the way to be thinking, nicely done. :)
I've got the "day off" tomorrow. Gonna be taking down that Oak. Like I said, all the home owner wants is the tree safely on the ground and the large limbs and trunk bucked up, pure labor and no wood to haul out. :clap: I'll try to post some pics when I get home tomorrow night. :popcorn: I'm thinking about having a cup of coffee myself..... :msp_drool:

Hey Norm , if you want keep a good loaner around I would trade my 2150 mean green for that 372, all in the name of safety:D :popcorn:

Thanks Randy! Good luck and be safe with the oak my friend! Cary LOL! Man I would be lying, if I said I wouldn't have missed that 372!:rock:

I was just thinking about that 034 yesterday Norm. I fixed something in the starter that day when Chris brought it out. The 'whirring' sounded/felt like either a PTO side crank bearing or the oil pump drive gears. I'm leaning towards the oil pump gears the more I think about it...

So now Chris has a 575XP? Is that the saw that John P was running? 2Dogs and I were talking about that saw at the GTG. Funny how saws get passed around.:D

Are we on for Saturday? I've gotta file a couple chains after work on Thurs night if we are. Looking forward to running your 288XP. I'll bring that handlebar from Bob for you. What sort of wood will we be getting into? Gotta decide what I wanna bring (and what chains to touch up)....

Thanks Randy! Good luck and be safe with the oak my friend! Cary LOL! Man I would be lying, if I said I wouldn't have missed that 372!:rock:

Thanks Norm,
got the tree down safe and this working man is crawling into bed worn out and sore. It was "a bit" more work than I expected. Still need to go back and buck up the trunk. You were closer than I was, at the stump anyway. The 32" bar on my 385 came up just short of reaching when I made the back cut. Had to cut it from both sides, maybe 32" or 33" diameter. :msp_ohmy: It was dark when I finished so the video clip of the trunk section coming down is pretty much a loss. :bang: Here's a few pics from today.....

.....I love my new pole saw.....(saved a lot of work)
attachment.php

.....good size tree.....
attachment.php

attachment.php

.....I put a "target" on the ground, two loop runners, "X" marks the spot, just missed.....(was right on for the height)
attachment.php

Great info Aaron, I never would have thought of the oiler drive gear. Cool beans, he has my guarantee, so if she goes out me will fix, but thats a good heads up. Im bringing all my saws, trimming brush, and may run into wood trees that may be down, not sure. Says am rain, afternoon clear so guess we play by ear on cut time. Chomping at the bit! Randy good deal nice job and pics dude! Awesome job! Here's your pics little buddy! Me new toy. Aaron yes same 575 thanks to 2dogs! You know Parmeter, more a Stihl guy, well he wanted to help Chris out too, as a bigger saw need. Parmeter is in good hands now, with my 044! He said I was right, awesome for firewood!

Great info Aaron, I never would have thought of the oiler drive gear. Cool beans, he has my guarantee, so if she goes out me will fix, but thats a good heads up. Im bringing all my saws, trimming brush, and may run into wood trees that may be down, not sure. Says am rain, afternoon clear so guess we play by ear on cut time. Chomping at the bit! Randy good deal nice job and pics dude! Awesome job! Here's your pics little buddy! Me new toy. Aaron yes same 575 thanks to 2dogs! You know Parmeter, more a Stihl guy, well he wanted to help Chris out too, as a bigger saw need. Parmeter is in good hands now, with my 044! He said I was right, awesome for firewood!

Thanks Norm,
very nice pics. That ought to be able to cut just about anything you come across. :msp_thumbup:
Time to make coffee and get ready for work.....;)
Have a good weekend.

262438d1353038694-dscf3937-jpg

262439d1353038702-dscf3936-jpg

262440d1353038711-dscf3938-jpg

Awesome pics Randy (again) ! How tall you figure that one was ? Looked like close to 60 feet for sure. Some good firewood for someone, but not you I guess !

Have a great weekend, working men !

Awesome pics Randy (again) ! How tall you figure that one was ? Looked like close to 60 feet for sure. Some good firewood for someone, but not you I guess !

Have a great weekend, working men !

Thanks Denis,
I don't believe I'd be wrong calling it 70ft. I'm going back tomorrow to cut up the trunk. I'll take another look at the "pieces" on the ground and see if I can "confirm" that.(I'll pull a tape on what's there and double check ;) ) Ayuh, the home owner is keeping the wood, there's gotta be over a cord in that tree, nice Red Oak! That'll keep him warm for a while. :D No problem losing out on that wood for me, I've still got the home owner I'm cutting for with the "20(+) trees", and I'm "almost" half way through getting that done. And almost all of that wood is Red Oak(and I'm keeping all of that :clap: ) Here's another pic, a little better look at the whole tree.....

attachment.php

Nice looking place to work Randy. The 385 will make short work out of that wood! And trunk!

Thanks Norm,
ayuh, that 385 is a "hungry" saw, it always puts a smile on my face. :D
I'll get some more pics tomorrow when I cut up that trunk and post 'em up when I get home. :popcorn:
Have a safe weekend! :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back