The worth of a BRAND NEW 066 MAG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on what a brand new out of box 066 MAG is worth? Just curious ;)...

66Mag.jpg

Best picture that I could come up with...

Only like 10 bucks. . . I'll give you 20 bucks though, plus shipping. :monkey:

:laugh:

Seriously, anything and everything is "worth" what the market will bare. That means the consumer base sets the price, not the sellers'.

Someone may see that saw and be willing to throw down $980 on it. . . Someone else might only want to go $600.

The only way to know somethings real value is to look at the market as a whole. What do they sell for at the dealer, the local paper, CL, EvilBay, etc. You combine it all to try and find an average. . . Then you put it up for sale.

This was the short answer. :laugh:

Wowee!

I'd throw 8-900 bucks down for an unused 066 in a second!

If you got that saw for less than 700 bucks then I'm jealous of you and you're getting no reps from me!:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
You gotta think about the better quality of those 066 saws also. Better cylinders, more HP.

And to find one never gassed up, I'd be willing to go 900 on it. I mean guys, it's a brand new saw.

A dealer selling a 660 for 950 would be hard to find IMO. I'm sure they're out there, but a real world price for a new one is more like 1050.

I would hope to get it for 6-700 though, but if I had to give more than that, I can see myself doing it.

You gotta think about the better quality of those 066 saws also. Better cylinders, more HP.

And to find one never gassed up, I'd be willing to go 900 on it. I mean guys, it's a brand new saw.

A dealer selling a 660 for 950 would be hard to find IMO. I'm sure they're out there, but a real world price for a new one is more like 1050.

I would hope to get it for 6-700 though, but if I had to give more than that, I can see myself doing it.

They're readily available for $950 otd around my neck of the woods. Although there isn't much markup, there is enough room for any dealer who is able to keep these instock. So to make it worth my while buying a "new" saw, from an unauthorized source, IE second hand, it would have to be at a far greater discount price than 900 to make sense

Nonetheless, it's a "brand new" saw. Still old, but not a classic. We can argue until we are blue about the build quality of newer versus older, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an older saw.

I own a 088. It is not that old at all. Luckily, it is new enough to be supported by Stihl, as opposed to the first run 088's. Do you see where I am going with this? If you buy a 15 year old new old saw, you can get parts, but will you be able to get parts in 5 years?

That is making is 20 years old in 5 years. That is when it will start to need work, and that is under pretty good use, unless you are a pro, in which case, you would just buy a new new one.

Jason

Last edited:
Nonetheless, it's a "brand new" saw. Still old, but not a classic. We can argue until we are blue about the build quality of newer versus older, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an older saw.

I own a 088. It is not that old at all. Luckily, it is new enough to be supported by Stihl, as opposed to the first run 088's. Do you see where I am going with this? If you buy a 15 year old new old saw, you can get parts, but will you be able to get parts in 5 years?

That is making is 20 years old in 5 years. That is when it will start to need work, and that is under pretty good use, unless you are a pro, in which case, you would just buy a new new one.

Jason

I see both your points also. And to each his own I guess. :)v

But 066 parts are the most available Stihl parts there is. There will be no shortage of those in 20 years I suspect.

They're readily available for $950 otd around my neck of the woods. Although there isn't much markup, there is enough room for any dealer who is able to keep these instock. So to make it worth my while buying a "new" saw, from an unauthorized source, IE second hand, it would have to be at a far greater discount price than 900 to make sense

Is that with a bar and chain? If so then I would go into business buying them and selling them overseas to our frineds down under. You could make some serious cash. I think we can agree that U.S. wide, 1050-1100 is real world with a bar/chain.

I bought my 660 for 700 used for 2 tanks of fuel. I got a good deal IMO. That 066 would probably sell for around 900 on Ebay, whether it's worth that or not, I don't know. But if I had cash lying around, I'd prolly drop it.:rock:

Last edited:
I would say that would bring $800 or so in that condition. Parts will be available for those saws for atleast 10 years after stihl ends the 660. The dealer I dealt with said 1k out the door with 24" b/c.

Only like 10 bucks. . . I'll give you 20 bucks though, plus shipping. :monkey:

:laugh:

Seriously, anything and everything is "worth" what the market will bare. That means the consumer base sets the price, not the sellers'.

Someone may see that saw and be willing to throw down $980 on it. . . Someone else might only want to go $600.

The only way to know somethings real value is to look at the market as a whole. What do they sell for at the dealer, the local paper, CL, EvilBay, etc. You combine it all to try and find an average. . . Then you put it up for sale.

This was the short answer. :laugh:

Preachin' to the choir on that one... problem is I haven't seen a new 066 sell on the bay, or anywhere for that matter. Just curious, and thought I would share.
Good advice for sure!
Jeff

I am on the same page as you... I would typically take the "0" series Stihls over the MS series saws any day of the week. In no way am I saying the newer Stihls are worse saws... but 15 years ago, Stihl was focused on building the best saw they could within their market parameters. Nowadays, they are focused on the same- but have the EPA squeezing them to where emission standards trump all... Just my opinion on this one.

Preachin' to the choir on that one... problem is I haven't seen a new 066 sell on the bay, or anywhere for that matter. Just curious, and thought I would share.
Good advice for sure!
Jeff

Don't tell me you got that saw for FREE!?

P.S. Anything under 5 bills is considered free. LOL

I see both your points also. And to each his own I guess. :)v

But 066 parts are the most available Stihl parts there is. There will be no shortage of those in 20 years I suspect.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is exactly what I am talking about. In OUR opinion, the 066/660 is the most popular line. It is not. that designation goes to the 029/290 market. Those are the most popular Stihl lines. They will have parts for a while, but maybe not the 066/660 line.

I would argue that the larger displacement saws are used by professionals more often, and sometimes get cannibalized, but by and large, are replaced, tossed out, and used as a tax write off.

Sure, most of us would have a seizure if we saw how many pro saws are dumped out when they are used up, but that is the cost of business. It sounds like a lot, but when a $1000 saw that can be used as a write off, makes you a lot of money, and wears out, it doesn't make sense not to just buy a new one. And that goes for any range of business.

I know we are a bunch of sawholics on this site, but I would just be careful buying such an old saw for use, other than collecting. Now collecting is fun, but it's just that, collecting. For use, I say go new.

Jason

Jason

066's in my opinion are a classic. Probably one of Stihls most legendary saws. And whether or not I am a "pro" doesnt dictate whether or not I buy a new saw. I do see what you are saying, hope I dont come off wrong. But in my opinion, there will always (atleast for a long time) be parts for the 066. I know some guys frown on aftermarket products, but take the 090 for example... Look at all the stuff there is on ebay for these saws. Yeah I may not find a Mahle cylinder for mine, but I cant say that I would drop the money on one either. Whether or not we like aftermarket products, they can keep an older, or obselete machine... running.

Latest posts

Back