Thermopex or Logstor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just built a new house and need to install my hardy h2. I am debating over thermopex or logstor pipe. I can get the thermopex for 12 bucks per foot and logstor for 14 per foot. My run is about 90 feet and house is 2300 sf ranch. I am leaning toward either .875” id thermopex or 1.03” id logstor.

Pros and cons of both and I’m located in central Ohio so if you know of cheaper prices let me know.

I don’t want to make my own pipe I did that at my last house and had heat loss from it. I knew it was a temporary place so I didn’t want to sink a lot of cash into it.

I bought logstor and have had no issues with it. I also made a section of my own up for another run and have had no problems with it either. The homemade stuff ended up costing me almost the same price as the Logstor and cost me a lot more time and running around to buy the stuff to do it the way I wanted. Next time I would just do the Logstor and not lose any sleep over the stuff I homemade. I direct buried mine but I think next time I would bury it in a bigger Big O field tile so that I could remove it if I wanted to. Not worried about it leaking but would be nice to take it with me if I ever wanted to or to move it to another location like I want to do right now. Plan to move my OWB to behind my shop instead of beside the house.

I just bought the larger ID thermopex from a central boiler dealer. $13 a foot. It's close to 1" i.d. or like 24mm. Your hardy has 3/4" fittings on the back of it, so the bigger pipe isn't really a big deal since you'll have other bottlenecks in the system. It's made by rehau, so you might be able to find it cheaper online with shipping.

Smaller boiler fittings won't add the flow resistance that 200' of smaller piping will. That's one place where bigger is better.

I got this stuff used and am unable to find a manufacturer name printed on it anywhere. It was installed for many years and pulled out of the ground and then I got it so it might just be worn off. But I can tell you it can't get much better then whatever this stuff is. 1" pipe with closed cell foam inside of a 4.5" rubbery/plastic sleeve. I have it buried 30" down and about a 4' section of it comes up out of the ground and through the back of my house and is completely exposed to the elements. I also have 15' more feet of this stuff running right on top the ground to my hot tub. I live in central MN where it hasn't been above 0 for about a week and we've hit -28 twice and my delta T when nothing is calling for heat at -10 is 4 degrees. Total loop length 300' with 80' being this insulated stuff and the rest is inside my house. When it snows it will sit on top the pipe for days. It wont melt off until the sun comes out and hits it. This stuff is unreal. Thermalpex.jpg Thermopex.jpg

Back