Things that drive me nuts about my firewood business that shouldn't

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont sell wood,i use everything i get to heat the house here,but when im splitting and stacking it in the truck to move it i get the window shopper stopping to ask if the wood is for sale, now i got a 90 ford f150 stacked to the roof with split wood,to the tailgate also, and when i say a price of $125 or even a $100 they give me the dirty look like the load is worth $50 or so. i tell them thats the price,take it or leave it. usually they dont show back up or say never mind, or so and so gets it for half that price,usually tell them place your order with them then!

neighbor gets 1-2 loads of pieces 12-16" long split and stacked to the roof for $100. been selling him 1-3 a year for quite a few years, he bought stuff from others who either shorted him or cut too long,or not split small enough,when he has told them he needs them split small enough due to his health concerns and his wifes health also.

wouldnt want the aggrevation of selling full time! dont deal with stupid people well!!

I got into saws as a hobby and greatly enjoy felling trees and cutting wood. Having said that, I decided a while ago that any hobby I enjoy, I won't do as a business. I'm not sure I could still enjoy hobbies if I had to deal with customers. The same goes for my metal shop. It's great having a well equipped shop, and I sure don't want to have to mess with paying customers.

Been selling in Northern NJ with ads on Craigs, and roadside signs for 5 yrs. Some blind calls are dopes, but not hard to weed them out. I've had one single complaint about every possible firewood defect over the years, but spread out over 15 customers I don't worry over it. Half an hour drive is end of service range. Yes, I get unexpected tips, 2 times out of 10. Stacking is available at set prices, depending on how far, and how elevated above the dump spot. My cord price is a bit high, and I encourage my local competitors to raise theirs. Have met a lot of interesting people, some who make me smile when they call, some who now work for me, some who find me tree work, and many who I never hear from again. We deliver year round, no complaints.

I had one who wanted me to wait while they loaded their mini truck off my trailer and drove it to their stack, unloaded, stacked and returned for another load. I told them that I would be chucking wood closer to their pile by about 40 feet and no further for the price included. for $50 I would get it there and stack it. They decided unloaded whileI was chucking was their best option and theypouted about it. They got one load in the time it took to chuck about 7/8 of a cord. That is why I a now just going to palletize the stuff.

been selling firewood off and on, mostly on, as a hobby since i was 21. will be 63 this year. 2013 was my best year, sold 28 cords. i deliver and stack 1/2 cord loads where i live and set 1/3 cord loads at the roadside at my brother's place, customer loads. delivered to one lady. "you put what you can fit into the dumbwaiter in the basement, and unload it on the second floor" got it done. delivered to a guy, says "put it around back". only access to back is thru a big spruce tree growing between his house and fence. had to get a running start to power thru the spruce branches. ended up with hundred of spruce needle punctures in arm, face and neck. other than those 2 memorable ones, my customers have been great, many good tips, christmas cards and some refferals. only been stiffed once, a guy loaded 1/3 cord at my brothers and skipped without paying. my nitwit neice was the only one home at the time. i love the work, being outside, and getting a new saw every couple of years, a new tractor every eight years. for me it has been an enjoyable endeavor.

I dont sell firewood, yet, but I have a lotta firewood stacked on pallets under cover...always adding to the pile, burning it, you know how firewood works...anyways one day a guy who lives acrost the swamp came by, asking for his usual use of my air compressor to fill up his fourwheeler tires. Then he got to sayin how he's gettin cold at home because he dont have much firewood left (it's december at this time) so he's trying to use it sparingly. He asked me to come deliver him some firewood. Once I mentioned price, he got all offended that I would charge him thinking that I should do it for free! I split most all of it by hand since my splitter stopped workin, he has a chainsaw and posedly a nice splitter, and he's askin me for wood? How bout you get off yer can and get out in the woods a bit more and try planning ahead for winter. How can you run out in december? You knew winter was coming!

I dont sell firewood, yet, but I have a lotta firewood stacked on pallets under cover...always adding to the pile, burning it, you know how firewood works...anyways one day a guy who lives acrost the swamp came by, asking for his usual use of my air compressor to fill up his fourwheeler tires. Then he got to sayin how he's gettin cold at home because he dont have much firewood left (it's december at this time) so he's trying to use it sparingly. He asked me to come deliver him some firewood. Once I mentioned price, he got all offended that I would charge him thinking that I should do it for free! I split most all of it by hand since my splitter stopped workin, he has a chainsaw and posedly a nice splitter, and he's askin me for wood? How bout you get off yer can and get out in the woods a bit more and try planning ahead for winter. How can you run out in december? You knew winter was coming!

That's pitiful. He has a splitter, doesn't even offer it to you to use, yet wants free wood? WTF!

Tell him to get a bicycle pump for his toy and FO.

With this nice weather were having here in the northeast pa. Was out yesterday noodling up and splitting some dry pine, the neighbor who has a splitter is out today cutting and splitting by hand these 30" logs he got. Guess he might be out of wood! He had a splitter, showed him to noodle those big pieces but elects to roll them onto the splitter ! Wish I had a video of it! Talk about funny!

He used to raid my piles of dry when he ran low telling me how many he took, always bringing me green unsplit monsters back . Put a stop to it when he said he took 3 loads when he took 5! He didn't know the last 2 he thought no one was home but I was! Now he doesn't ask anymore! I split and stack what I need for each season leaving the rest unsplit and in stacked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neighbor down the road has a large oak close to the road that has been down for 3 years. Ask if he wanted it cut up and mentioned something about how his dad wanted it but since its been 3 years he would ask. So couple weeks later I ask again and he says that his dad said it would be ok if I was to cut, split, haul and stack half the trees wood to his place. They think the wood is the expensive part, so it sets there rotting!

Neighbor down the road has a large oak close to the road that has been down for 3 years. Ask if he wanted it cut up and mentioned something about how his dad wanted it but since its been 3 years he would ask. So couple weeks later I ask again and he says that his dad said it would be ok if I was to cut, split, haul and stack half the trees wood to his place. They think the wood is the expensive part, so it sets there rotting!

That's another one for the "get off you A$$" file. Does he want you to carry it inside once it's seasoned and load his stove every night for him?

People would call and ask for a "rick" of wood . And I would say a "rick" is defined as a random pile of anything...and I only sell in 1/2 and full cord increments because there is a defined measurment of a cord . And they say.."the guy on the other side of town sold me a cord for $85 " And I say.."You probably got screwed !"

P.s. Nothing worse than bar oil.....its like the stickiest....stringiest booger !!
Oh, I dunno. Hydraulic oil isn't too good. Even the dog thinks twice about jumping onto the back seat nowadays.

when the people say your wood is very expensive

Latest posts

Back