Think I Want to Try a Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toolmaker said:
rbtree
Cool pic of the saw over the woodburner. That's' a heck of a place to keep the saw tough...wouldn't it be better off in the shed?
heh,heh,heh.....nice pic!

Hope that gas cap is on tight!!

458_lott said:
...., is there any drawback to getting a Husky from Baileys? Seem to have about as good of a price as anyone. A 359 is $429 with 20" b&c. I know Baileys is a reputable place.
The only potensial drawback I can think of is lack of local dealer support, but if that really is a drawback is pretty individual....

Husky

As far as I heard, the XP models aren't necessarily much more powerful than their non-XP counterparts - but they are built with better internal components (and slightly faster RPM wise) and are meant for the professional (and will last longer) while the others may be pro-sumer models.

458_lott said:
sawtroll,
Anyway, I was thinking if a don't jump on a Husky, the MS-361 is looking awful good. Having said that, is there any drawback to getting a Husky from Baileys? Seem to have about as good of a price as anyone. A 359 is $429 with 20" b&c. I know Baileys is a reputable place.

If you don't plan to mod this saw choice other than perhaps the muffler...I'd recommend the 361. (And whats funny is I have one and was looking at the 460's yesterday...)

If you're considering ever having it ported, etc...the 359 is probably the best bang for the buck - if that really matters to you.

There isn't a bad choice here, though the 361 is stronger out of the box.

I had no doubt I was going to buy a Stihl due to dealer considerations. I bought a 361 for more than I would have spent on a 359, but the cost difference was of no consequence to that particular decision. The Stihl dealer is 3 minutes or so from my office. I go shoot skeet w/ the guys, talk trucks, etc... that's part of my dealer consideration. I won't buy everything from them but that's what I wanted and they sell it.

I imagine either one is going to underwhelm you after running that 460...though in EHP's videos a new (2 tanks thru it) 361 cut a 10.41sec vs. a 046 w/ stock muffler at 9.29 in frozen 50" round (16" dia.). Same b&c was used on both saws... so the difference in 8" -12" wood might be surprisingly small... Dunno how a MS460 compares to an 046 though. Anyone?

The 046 w/ dual port muffler cut an 8.28. But there isn't a time for the 361 w/ a muffler mod for comparison.

Of course none of this really matters if you like the feel of it and the 359/361 does what you want. You'll shave 2lbs off powerhead weight and some off the b&c so you should notice that...

Chaser

majutsu said:
As far as I heard, the XP models aren't necessarily much more powerful than their non-XP counterparts - but they are built with better internal components (and slightly faster RPM wise) and are meant for the professional (and will last longer) while the others may be pro-sumer models.

The 353, 359, and 365 are built to the exact same build quality as are the XP models, but due to cylinder design and porting, and in some cases carb/intake they don't produce quite as much power for a given displacement. They are still pro saws, just slightly milder than some of the XP models, and are tuned for slightly more torque and slightly less top end power. Unfortunately, many people think it has to say XP to be a pro saw, which isn't true. The XP models are however the higher performance models, so they are the choice of most professionals for daily work. The more expensive, more highly tuned cylinder on these models also accounts for most of the cost difference between tehse an their XP variant brothers.
A 365 is the exact same case and crankshaft as a 372XP, but with a different top end and carb/intake. Same with the 346XP and 353, The 359 and 357XP have a slightly different crank, different top end, but the case is the same.

Thanks timberpig. That was an informative post. I really am not all that familiar with Husky saws. Sure, I know the big Husky saws, but don't know the difference when it gets to the smaller saws. I just want a relatively fast handling saw to do some lighter work. I have enough saws to get everything done I need to get done, but wanted a Husky just to have. Rather than be extremely redundant with a saw, I was trying to find a Husky that would fit in with my compliment of saws. I think something in the 3.0 to 3.6 cu. in. category will work. I like torque and don't really care about cutting speed. I don't like a saw to "give-out" when I bear down on it. I want it to just keep pulling. Guess that is what I liked about my old Homelite XL-925s, C-72 (for direct drive) and Wiz 66s for gear drive. My new Stihl MS-460 seems to have some guts to it and I am relatively pleased with it. At some point, I will add a MS-361, but in the meantime, thought I would add a Husky. For small saws, I always used Homelite XL-12s and I always thought they had pretty decent torque for small saws. They held up fairly well as I am not too kind to my saws (they gotta work hard or out they go). I give them regular attention, but they have to be tough.

TimberPig said:
The 353, 359, and 365 are built to the exact same build quality as are the XP models, but due to cylinder design and porting, and in some cases carb/intake they don't produce quite as much power for a given displacement. They are still pro saws, just slightly milder than some of the XP models, and are tuned for slightly more torque and slightly less top end power. Unfortunately, many people think it has to say XP to be a pro saw, which isn't true. The XP models are however the higher performance models, so they are the choice of most professionals for daily work. The more expensive, more highly tuned cylinder on these models also accounts for most of the cost difference between tehse an their XP variant brothers.
A 365 is the exact same case and crankshaft as a 372XP, but with a different top end and carb/intake. Same with the 346XP and 353, The 359 and 357XP have a slightly different crank, different top end, but the case is the same.

Well said...........good post!!!

Latest posts

Back