Need a saw, need recommendations please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7echo

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a saw and hope you guys will give me some options.
I am not new to saws, started with old Homelite and 041 Farm Boss in '70s.
Had a Poulan S25DA for a while. My largest saw was a Husky 268XP with several bars and a bow.
Been away from saws for years but now have 5 acres and need a new saw. Would like one that can run a 20" bar but will have a 16" on it 90 percent of the time. AV is important cause I have carpal tunnel. There are a few good Stihl dealers around so I am leaning toward that brand.

Comments are appreciated as are pointing me to existing threads.

AV being most important and very easy starts with no extra BS, hum. Having a rebuilt left arm qualifies me to understand AV better then some on the forward handlebar.

241 with a muffler mod and you can run a 14, 16 or 18lp setup. Light weight asskicker.

Now the cheap way out is the 435 Husky. 41cc smooth AV easy starts but expect it to be down on power some vs the Stihl. Mod the muffler and advance the timing. Should cure that issue.

I'd recommend one of my altered 034s but the AV is more suited to a climber compared to ground work as far as AV is concerned.

Echo and Shindiawa won't have the spring AV you'd like. 545 is your next best option I'm aware of with good AV.

Edit:
BTW you need to source NOS or used. The saw is out of regular production now. Parts support is available everywhere.

Keep in mind that, on average, MASS/weight is a big factor in vibration reduction- ex: heavier guns absorb more recoil than lighter, same with chainsaws, tennis rackets, pool cue sticks, baseball bats, bullet resistant vests, helmets of many types... Mass isn't the only factor, but it's probably on average the top factor.

Most if not all the Echo & Makita/Dolmar models I mentioned in post #7 have good spring A/V mounts, and they're often slightly heavier saw brands than their competing Stihl and Hoosky models.

AV being most important and very easy starts with no extra BS, hum. Having a rebuilt left arm qualifies me to understand AV better then some on the forward handlebar.

241 with a muffler mod and you can run a 14, 16 or 18lp setup. Light weight asskicker.

Now the cheap way out is the 435 Husky. 41cc smooth AV easy starts but expect it to be down on power some vs the Stihl. Mod the muffler and advance the timing. Should cure that issue.

I'd recommend one of my altered 034s but the AV is more suited to a climber compared to ground work as far as AV is concerned.

Echo and Shindiawa won't have the spring AV you'd like. 545 is your next best option I'm aware of with good AV.

Edit:
BTW you need to source NOS or used. The saw is out of regular production now. Parts support is available everywhere.
Are you saying there is good parts support for the Stihl 024-241. Saw a vey clean 024 a bit over 2 hours away at 250 then dropEd to 200. I had a 42 cc 028 for many years and cut a lot of wood with it.. sharp chain, lot of cut wood. Lighter is better for old folk like me.

Are you saying there is good parts support for the Stihl 024-241. Saw a vey clean 024 a bit over 2 hours away at 250 then dropEd to 200. I had a 42 cc 028 for many years and cut a lot of wood with it.. sharp chain, lot of cut wood. Lighter is better for old folk like me.
241 is on it's own for parts. Stihl can be checked to see what is supported today. The 241 is not like an 026/260. 024 is a smaller bore but I do happen to have a factory jug for one of you go that route. Not sure about piston availability but it can be checked.

Maybe you should consider a new 201. They are not cheap but fast and lighter then most saws out there.

Glad you came back. Most on here recommend the pro type saws. They are a little pricey, but will last a long time and are enjoyable to run. Buy once, cry once.

Back