Need a saw, need recommendations please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a lot but haven't really needed to post. Now I have 5 acres and need to get a new saw.
I can afford the 261 which seems like the most recommended.
From looking around I kinda thought the MS 250 would be suggested more often.
I really appreciate the comments/suggestions everyone.
@7echo 261 is a much better saw than the 250. The 250 can be a bear to start.
I'd take a hard look at the Echo CS-4910. Same cc as the Stihl, about half the price and a nice saw.

The MS250 isn't a terrible saw...but I would suggest the 261 as well if you can afford it. Professional level saws will last longer, be lighter and more powerful. Not to mention made out of better materials. Of course, the price reflects that.

Is a professional level saw required for 5 acres? Probably not, but they're a whole lot nicer to deal with in my opinion.

Echo is not a bad option if you prefer a cheaper alternative to Stihl professional line.

You've got 5 acres now, but what do you plan on doing with it? Is it partially wooded and you're just trying to keep the lanes clear, and clean up limbs in your yard? If so, I'd scrap the idea of a gas saw and go get a Dewalt battery powered saw. Get a pole saw, trimmer, and blower that use the same battery while you're at it.

Is it a 5 acre wood lot that you want to clear so that you can build on it? If so, the 261 might be a little on the small/light side. I'd go with the 400.

Are you just cutting some wood for an occasional campfire? 261 is still overkill so I'd still lean towards a battery powered machine.

Are you starting to heat with firewood? 261 is a great place to start, and not a bad place to end.

FWIW, I don't see much practical benefit to the MS250 series. Yes they are cheaper, they will do the job, and it takes a long time to wear them out. Problem is that the infrequent use combined with crappy gas will eventually lead to carburetor issues that don't exist with a battery powered saw. A good battery powered saw will keep up with an MS250, and will never fail to start. So long as batteries will last long enough to do what you want, they are probably the best bang for the buck especially if you combine them with other tools that use the same batteries and charger. If you need to be able to cut an entire truckload or more at one time, then you definitely need a gas powered tool and the headaches that eventually come with them.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Keep in mind that, on average, MASS/weight is a big factor in vibration reduction- ex: heavier guns absorb more recoil than lighter, same with chainsaws, tennis rackets, pool cue sticks, baseball bats, bullet resistant vests, helmets of many types... Mass isn't the only factor, but it's probably on average the top factor.

Most if not all the Echo & Makita/Dolmar models I mentioned in post #7 have good spring A/V mounts, and they're often slightly heavier saw brands than their competing Stihl and Hoosky models.
Why on earth would you reccomend a makita or dolmar? Makita announced last year they were going to stop making gas saws. Thats a hard pass for me or anyone else that want something you can get parts for.
And heavier saws will not absorb vibrations because they are heavier.

I need a saw and hope you guys will give me some options.
I am not new to saws, started with old Homelite and 041 Farm Boss in '70s.
Had a Poulan S25DA for a while. My largest saw was a Husky 268XP with several bars and a bow.
Been away from saws for years but now have 5 acres and need a new saw. Would like one that can run a 20" bar but will have a 16" on it 90 percent of the time. AV is important cause I have carpal tunnel. There are a few good Stihl dealers around so I am leaning toward that brand.

Comments are appreciated as are pointing me to existing threads.
You want it to "be able" to cut with a 16" buried in wood, and accationly a 20" occasionally? MS261.
You want to do that with authority? MS400.
You usually cut less than 16" of wood you dont need to carry more weight than the MS261.
You really "do not" want to carry more weight than you absolutely need to - in the long run buddy.
You might be big and strong, you might be a Yeti - Im just sayin... jumping around the forest for 3-4 hours is a lot different from lifting the saw without gas and oil comfortably at the store.
My favourite saw is a MS 241c-m, it can do just about anything - fell a 28" tree with a 14" bar.
But if I need a 20", I prefer a 70cc saw.

If you are a young man, the ms 250 will do what you want and is not that costly. But, they kick back like a mule sometimes. But young and strong you will not know it. It is a good powerful saw and Stihl has been making them for years.

@7echo 261 is a much better saw than the 250. The 250 can be a bear to start.
I'd take a hard look at the Echo CS-4910. Same cc as the Stihl, about half the price and a nice saw.
Bought a CS-4910 last week. It replaced a 27 yr. old Stihl 025. I love it, easy to start, AV is good. Can run 16"-20" bar.

Why on earth would you reccomend a makita or dolmar? Makita announced last year they were going to stop making gas saws. Thats a hard pass for me or anyone else that want something you can get parts for.
And heavier saws will not absorb vibrations because they are heavier.
Maybe his screen name? Lol, I agree.

I will definitely ck out the Echo 4910. It has the compression release feature that will make it easier to pull. I am no longer young so don't want, or need, a big saw. I want a saw that will run a 20" bar but will have a 16" most of the time. A 16" on a 261 will be an awesome set up. I have always run saws with a smaller than max bar, they just cut so well when not running the max bar and chain.
The Echo 4910 is $380 and the Stihl 261 is $700. The money saved there will pay for plenty of extra chains and a bar.
I use my battery recip saw with a pruning blade for limbs, works great. I need a gas saw for the bigger stuff tho.

Yeh good advice, spend the extra now and if you look after it it will last years and be nicer to use all those years too. I have the Stihl and Husky, depending on the saw i don't think there is much difference in quality between the two, they are both good.

You made the right choice. Thank God.

some of the recommendations were alarming, to say the least, given that you very carefully laid out your situation. Some of these guys are clueless, apparently...

the ms250 vibrates way too much for you and is basically a very overpriced cheaply built saw

the dolmars are beautiful saws that are well built, smooth and durable but unfortunately have been discontinued. Not necessarily a good thing over time.

you don't need a 60cc saw

the Echos are not in the same league as your new Stihl

anyway, it's fortunate that you can read between the lines.

good luck with your new saw!

Well I picked up a Stihl MS261 today. Got a 16" and 20" bar and some extra chains. Already put it to work and am really pleased so far.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Congrats. I went with the 4910 mainly factoring in price and my own needs and usage. The 261 is a great saw, though! Glad you are happy!!

Well I picked up a Stihl MS261 today. Got a 16" and 20" bar and some extra chains. Already put it to work and am really pleased so far.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Congrats on the new saw!

FWIW, as far as anti-vibe goes, I frequently wear Atlas 300 gloves (knit poly gloves with dipped palm) when I'm working. I wear them when I'm dealing with firewood because they hold up a lot longer than leather gloves, they aren't too hot in the summer, but they are also warm enough when temps are below freezing. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it sure seems like the rubber palms help some with vibrations. I've never set out to test that theory, just something I've noticed over the years so your mileage may vary...

Back