Think pulling flywheel is next step

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Couldn't get the starter rope to pull on my Stihl 036. Pulled the plug and muffler. Plug and piston look really good from what I can see piston moves when I push on it with my finger. Removed recoil starter. That does what it's supposed to when off saw. I can turn the flywheel easily in reverse but will not turn the way it is supposed to at all. What would cause it to hang up but only one direction?

Couldn't get the starter rope to pull on my Stihl 036. Pulled the plug and muffler. Plug and piston look really good from what I can see piston moves when I push on it with my finger. Removed recoil starter. That does what it's supposed to when off saw. I can turn the flywheel easily in reverse but will not turn the way it is supposed to at all. What would cause it to hang up but only one direction?
Check clutch.
Remove carefully!

make a complete revolution in reverse. If something is on top of the piston or similar it will lock again at a 360 degree revolution of the flywheel. Make sure the coil is not rubbing on the flywheel.

Leave the flywheel in place for now, unless you think later that something is hanging up under the flywheel.

So will it turn more than one turn in reverse? Not hitting something just short of one turn?

Clutch seized and brake stuck on? Band brakes only lock in forward direction

Eliminate those before pulling FW.

Might be something mechanical wedging inside fw and coil. (Is it internal coil? If not, scratch that idea.

If you have the right puller, it is just a minute or two to take it off and check for marks or loose parts. But I would do the other checks firest.

After work this morning went out and spun flywheel backward felt a little resistance then spun freely. Can spin it forward now with a finger piston moving freely. Probably put it back together and give it a try

Nooo!

Don't "try it" until you figure it out!!

If there is a loose screw or needle bearing in there somewhere, you will totally destroy your saw!!

Right: It was not a festered sore that healed itself with time.
I would remove the muffler and take a light and carefully inspect the top of the piston area (for chunk of carbon or ?) and I would carefully rotate the saw while listening for a loose object or anything that might rattle and make a noise. The gas tank filter will rattle sometimes so remove it first.
If not anything found I would then look under the flywheel. If it hangs up again while running will be a bad thing for the saw and your pocket book. (and you asked for the results);)

Back