Think this wood pile will season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the bronze age we'd neatly stack our wood 40" high in tight phalanx like formations like Neo.

The problem was the frost heave would/could affect all the rows. But I don't think that'll happen here because of the piled wood in the center adds stability.

From our failure experience we started piling all our wood and that has paid big dividends in time and labor saved.

I think piled wood seasons faster than a tight packed phalanx style wood pile...
of coarse not too many stack wood that way.

3142700370_3f14b5bc9c.jpg

Now we pile all our wood and because of the time/labor saved have gotten many years ahead. And you can pile as high as you can throw without any worry of a catastrophic collapse if the wood was stacked in row style.

Ole' TomTrees is the only guy I know who can brag up a storm without saying a word!

:laugh:

Nice woodpiles Tom! :cheers:

We pile our wood and then take the skid steer with forks and mix it up to keep some rotations of the wood and allow some different air flow. Once the fall rain starts to come, I will be tarping the top off.

Thanks
I'd like to come check out your operation somtime, we are only 10-15 miles apart :cheers:

The guy with the large pile under cover of the large shed probably has best idea

Saves a lot of time, trouble, and handling by just throwing (or conveyor) to pile, and pile is big enuf to just keep pulling outside edges for really dry wood each season

By time he gets to middle, that is plenty dry too

(Now all I have to do is increase the size of my shed by about 10 times) ;-))

That was me. That wood doesn't last a season. I sell that much plus more each year. This year I will be in the 250 plus cord range. Not a lot compared to some of the people on here. I keep increasing each year. This year I added a kiln. I'm hoping to maximize the amount per cord I can get for firewood.

Scott

Is it wrong that the pictures in this thread excite me ? I must have some sort of problem.........right ? Awsome pictures fellers !!

Ya, come on down some time. I got a Super Split and a crappy conveyor. My buddies got the property and big equipment. Where are you located out of?

I'm in Rootstown, just south of Ravenna. Every now and then I find myself in Mantua, it seems like a pretty cool place.

One thing I can see that may not season are the small pieces left round.

I try to split everything, even a 2 inch stick, just to make sure the wood is exposed along the length. Tree bark is great for holding in moisture so the only evaporation that will occur has to go through the small surface area on the ends.

Covering it is the key. I used to have issues with it seasoning right until I built a building over the pile. It makes a huge difference keeping all the rain off it. It takes me a little over an hour to split one cord. That is one guy. I split it pretty small. If I was splitting for a decent size wood stove or a outdoor boiler I could split a real cord in well under and hour.

Scott

Covering is also the key for me. The uncovered pile just didn't work here.
Probably too much humidity, rain, snow, bugs, fungus, etc...

Nice looking wood piles, guys!

I love seeing a nice wood pile.

But some of the photos posted (not all) are too large and don't fit the screen.
Have to scroll side to side :confused:

It's pretty easy to re-size photos :cheers:

I'm in Rootstown, just south of Ravenna. Every now and then I find myself in Mantua, it seems like a pretty cool place.

Haha, you aren't too far away at all. I don't get down to Rootstown much besides heading to New Baltimore Ice Cream on my motorcycle or going to Quail Hollow to ride my mountain bike. Catch ya later

I've been on the other forums and they talk about using a moisture meter, with readings under 20%. I never have used anything more than the feel of a fresh split side, its either dry or it is not. A good way to stack if you have the room is 2 pieces deep as you face the pile, as high as you want, as long as you want, cover the top with metal or other waterproof rigid material and wait.

I'm probably going to let it sit this way all winter with a tight tarp only on the top, then stack it in single lines with a couple feet in between them next summer to fully season.

I didn't read all of these so it mat have already been said. If your gonna re stack later why not just do it that way to start off? Wood is fun and enjoyable but, I still try t to handle it as few times as possible. Can you stack to dry/season in cord stacks?

We tried a pile once and never will again. Stirred it every couple weeks with the hoe, and the middle was still soaking wet. This was after a hot dry summer for our standards.

Very nice pile. I like the cross stack on the ends. Been seeing this lately and I think I will try that when we stack next time.

Owl

After viewing this thread, a thought crossed my mind......

I wonder if anyone from the gooberment looked at this thread and thought to themselves,........... "We gotta do something about all these firewood guys. Look at all that lost revenue."

Just a thought:)

By the way guys, nice wood piles!

After viewing this thread, a thought crossed my mind......

I wonder if anyone from the gooberment looked at this thread and thought to themselves,........... "We gotta do something about all these firewood guys. Look at all that lost revenue."

Just a thought:)

By the way guys, nice wood piles!

I pay taxes and claim my firewood sales. Some of my customers pay with a 1099 anyway.

Scott

Back