thinkin about adding a new saw to the fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitmitch910

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looking at saws, i have a Stihl 029 farm boss with the muffler mod, a smaller poulan 16" saw(non wild thing model lol) a small 16" old homelite that i love, and a early 80's 20" homelite.

Recently did some surfing on the internet and found the Stihl MS 441 saw, looks like an awesome machine, im just wondering what you all think of them, i came across some vids on youtube of some carb issues?
Wondering what the flaws and pros are with this saw?

I found one on craigslist for $750 the guy got it brand new early this year, comes with 25" bar 3chains and its apparently in just broken in condition

My local dealers are selling them new for $899 w/25" bars

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Mitch VK

Used 441's should be $500-$600 I could still get a new one for under $800 two months ago and could have had new ones with the 3/4 wrap and large clutch cover for $750 six months ago. I would prefer a good used 044/440 for around $300-$400 myself. For $750 you can get a nice used 660. Check out the site classifieds under auction. Some great deals to be had here.

Welcome to the forum Mitch.
I assume that even though you wrote MS 441, you mean that you are looking for a MS 441 R C-M. There are a couple of vids on YouTube of blsnelling's MS 441 C-M having an off idle issue of a too rich condition. If I recall correctly, he adjusted the timing of the fresh air strato opening plate, and it fixed the too rich bog. If you are referring to other MS 441 carb problems, then I haven't seen those yet. The MS 441 R C-M is a great saw and will blow your mind compared to your farm boss. If your looking for an insanely cheap deal on one, PM mmathers because he can get new ones for under $700!

My MS 441 R C-M is about a year old, and I don't think I would sell it for $750. I love it that much! :givebeer:

Welcome to the forum Mitch.
I assume that even though you wrote MS 441, you mean that you are looking for a MS 441 R C-M. There are a couple of vids on YouTube of blsnelling's MS 441 C-M having an off idle issue of a too rich condition. If I recall correctly, he adjusted the timing of the fresh air strato opening plate, and it fixed the too rich bog. If you are referring to other MS 441 carb problems, then I haven't seen those yet. The MS 441 R C-M is a great saw and will blow your mind compared to your farm boss. If your looking for an insanely cheap deal on one, PM mmathers because he can get new ones for under $700!

Yea it was brad snelling's saw video on YouTube. I'm definitely looking for the best deal I can get. Not in a hurry to buy just yet still shopping. I just want a saw that is bigger than my farm boss so I have a nice range of saws for all purposes. Plus my birthday is soon lol

Never ran a 441, but as it has already been said, I'd buy a new one - seems a little high to me.

I've had two ms 460s and an ms 660. I've held a 441, they're pretty bulky. If you're only a Stihl man, then that's probably the way to go. It has the better air filtration and better anti-vibration system. All the Stihls we used day in and day out in the tree business would vibrate us to death and we'd have to clean the filters quite often.

Not so with our 372s, 346s and 3120. (Getting ready to run my new 390 for the first time today. :msp_w00t: )

If you're willing to put down $750.00, I'd go with the 562xp.
You won't be sorry.

:clap:

Never ran a 441, but as it has already been said, I'd buy a new one - seems a little high to me.

I've had two ms 460s and an ms 660. I've held a 441, they're pretty bulky. If you're only a Stihl man, then that's probably the way to go. It has the better air filtration and better anti-vibration system. All the Stihls we used day in and day out in the tree business would vibrate us to death and we'd have to clean the filters quite often.

Not so with our 372s, 346s and 3120. (Getting ready to run my new 390 for the first time today. :msp_w00t: )

If you're willing to put down $750.00, I'd go with the 562xp.
You won't be sorry.

:clap:

Yea im glad i posted to see its not that good of a deal. Ive read good things about it and its a pretty versitile saw its looks like. I just want something bigger than my 029 :cool2:

Hey everyone,
Looking at saws, i have a Stihl 029 farm boss with the muffler mod, a smaller poulan 16" saw(non wild thing model lol) a small 16" old homelite that i love, and a early 80's 20" homelite.

Recently did some surfing on the internet and found the Stihl MS 441 saw, looks like an awesome machine, im just wondering what you all think of them, i came across some vids on youtube of some carb issues?
Wondering what the flaws and pros are with this saw?

I found one on craigslist for $750 the guy got it brand new early this year, comes with 25" bar 3chains and its apparently in just broken in condition

My local dealers are selling them new for $899 w/25" bars

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Mitch VK

It is listed for $700 now....

Wonder what he'll take for it:clap:

Says he needs to sell. I would start around $600 or less if it were me and I really wanted it.... you can wait for a deal as well. A month ago I picked up my 440 for $200. But you need an app and must be ready to roll with cash and be quick with the quick dial. The guy held it for me and had three other calls before I got there.

Bring your T 27 driver to rwmive muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder before dealing.

Personally, I am not convince the saw even exists in that ad. Same pic is used in ads in three other CL listings...

You could buy the $450 066 and trade into a 441 cheaper than buying that on IMO.

Says he needs to sell. I would start around $600 or less if it were me and I really wanted it.... you can wait for a deal as well. A month ago I picked up my 440 for $200. But you need an app and must be ready to roll with cash and be quick with the quick dial. The guy held it for me and had three other calls before I got there.

Bring your T 27 driver to rwmive muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder before dealing.

Personally, I am not convince the saw even exists in that ad. Same pic is used in ads in three other CL listings...

Im always leary of people who use dealer images for CL, but hell i may low ball him to see what hell take. Worst he can say is no.

He says he bought it to cut firewood, but who buys the almoat top of the line saw just for some firewood cutting?

Im always leary of people who use dealer images for CL, but hell i may low ball him to see what hell take. Worst he can say is no.

He says he bought it to cut firewood, but who buys the almoat top of the line saw just for some firewood cutting?

hahaha wrong place for that question:laugh:

Latest posts

Back