Thinking about a BIG SAW.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a big saw to the collection. Dont now why, but I want one. Maybe a project. What should I look for? Looking used. Maybe a stihl 046 or 066? Are these easy to rebuild? What do you think?

66. Literally a no brainer.
It is the #1 big saw around.

Parts for ever, huge user base, powerful enough to make you light headed the first time you run it.

I LOVE mine, would not give it up at any price.

And I mean the 66. I would take it over the newer 660s.

Now that being said, the more powerful saws are the 88s and 3120s, but you don't see a lot of people running those for any length of time. Pretty heavy imho.

I agree, the 066/660 would be a good choice. The super large saws 088, 090, and so on are really cool, but parts can be an issue, and then you've got a saw that's so heavy you don't want to run it just for fun anyway. An 066 is useable, and you can indeed get parts for them.

A MAC SP120 with a 10" bar and picco.
Give your neighbors something to talk about.

Seriously an 066 all the way......

Last edited:
fishhuntcutwood said:
I agree, the 066/660 would be a good choice. The super large saws 088, 090, and so on are really cool, but parts can be an issue, and then you've got a saw that's so heavy you don't want to run it just for fun anyway. An 066 is useable, and you can indeed get parts for them.

Parts for the 088 are completely available... but Jeff is right - the 066 is a much more usable daw.

Jeff - that -1 + +1 = 0:cheers:

I had to have a big saw also, so I know the feeling. Fortunately, I found a pristine 088. Andy is correct in that the 066/660 is a more usable saw. While I don't own one, I do use a modded PS-9010 which is similar and certainly easier on this particular operator. However, I have a friend that has lots of 30"-40" fallen Oaks and the 088 makes pretty quick work of them and it's a lot of fun but, I wouldn't't want to have to work with it all day long. Jay

MOA said:
Thinking about adding a big saw to the collection. Dont now why, but I want one. Maybe a project. What should I look for? Looking used. Maybe a stihl 046 or 066? Are these easy to rebuild? What do you think?

I'd vote for the 066 too, if you really need that kind of power. It's a great saw, but, unless you are going to spend some time in big wood, you may be better served with a slightly warmed over 044, 046, 372, or 7900. That said, I love my 066 in big wood.

Mark

Lakeside53 said:
Parts for the 088 are completely available... but Jeff is right - the 066 is a much more usable daw.

Jeff - that -1 + +1 = 0:cheers:

Good Lord, where is Trinity? We need a neutral score keeper. I didn't think I was into negs!

I should have elaborate on the "issue" of 088 parts. They're available, but an 088 muffler will cost you more than an 066 or 046 muffler. But yeah, they're out there, and still from your dealer as well.

oldsaw said:
I'd vote for the 066 too, if you really need that kind of power. It's a great saw, but, unless you are going to spend some time in big wood, you may be better served with a slightly warmed over 044, 046, 372, or 7900. That said, I love my 066 in big wood.

Mark

I agree.. I love my 066 and 660, but they don't get used that often. After getting the 7900, I haven't used the 660. i'll keep it around for the new mill I am getting for Xmas...

Anywho a 046 or 460 would be good saw too. Parts are everywhere and they are more reasonable than 066 or 660 parts.

Round here, everyone has an 046

Latest posts

Back