Thinking about having my 261c souped up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send me a PM, and we'll talk about cost.

I don't know what anyone else does on warranty, but I stand behind my work 110%. If you ever have any issue with a saw that I have done I will do my level best to make it right. I've even repaired saws with issues that had nothing to do with my modifications just because I never want to hear anyone say that sending a saw off to have it ported is a bad idea. Ask around.......I doubt you'll find anyone that can say I do not stand behind my work, and go over and above what is expected.
I'm doing my due diligence right. So far I'm impressed. Stopped reading a thread about you rebuilding an 066 that blew up to respond.

sent from a field

I can't wait to get this 361 ported. Anyone know if anyone has put a ported 361 on a dyno?
Here's an old one. I believe a current one would be stronger. I didn't have a right angle handpiece when I built this one.

361portedvs461stockvs660stock_zpse1aa87d2-L.jpg

I've bought a few work saws from Mastermind

His after care is impeccable and the saws are without exception extremely useable, with excellent power, torque and even relatively good fuel consumption.

I have had one issue where a saw wouldn't run right after a while, Randy immediately asked me to return it from Australia at his cost, anyway, I checked the basics and found a very miner carb issue. He could have said "get a local Mech to take a look" but he didn't.

I have always had the feeling that the quality of his saws and the happiness of his customers come first, and that does it for me

I have personally ran my mastermind 261c while logging. It's great for trees up to 20" and awesome at limbing. Anything over 20" I have a mastermind 064 for. I haven't had an issue in the couple years I've owned the saw other than this permanent grin I can't get off my face. Never ran it stock, Randy ported it and sent it to me. It's my main go to saw for almost everything firewood related. I'm sure you won't be disappointed other then why you waited so long to send it. It pulls 3/8's chain fine and I'm sure it's even better with 325. One you go ported you don't go stock.

="blsnelling, post: 5530716, member: 12346"]Here's an old one. I believe a current one would be stronger. I didn't have a right angle handpiece when I built this one.

[/QUOTE]
Doesnt look like that saw benefited as much as the 261 in the other graph.

="blsnelling, post: 5530716, member: 12346"]Here's an old one. I believe a current one would be stronger. I didn't have a right angle handpiece when I built this one.

Doesnt look like that saw benefited as much as the 261 in the other graph.[/QUOTE]

take another look there king, the two graphs show completely different comparisons there is no frame of reference for your statement, it might not have been your intent but post isnt factual or helpful, it comes off, to me at least, as critical, based on ignorance. Good information is important in deciding on a vendor to do surgery on your 2 cycle baby:)

I have dealt with several "porters" here and they all rock, I would not hesitate to send any saw to Randy, Brad or Miller and I imagine I will have samples from a few more guys before too long.

funny thing is I think the 261 runs pretty great stock, i never considered having it ported
DD

Dude im not coming off as a **** so why are you?! Doesn't the 361 have about 4.6 HP to start with? I may be wrong and if I am then I'm sorry but I only see a small gain in HP there unlike what was posted in the graph with the 261. If Brad is "your guy" then so be it, I'm not taking anything away from him or any other porter here. The ignorance looks to be on your end bud. Have a nice day....
Doesnt look like that saw benefited as much as the 261 in the other graph.

take another look there king, the two graphs show completely different comparisons there is no frame of reference for your statement, it might not have been your intent but post isnt factual or helpful, it comes off, to me at least, as critical, based on ignorance. Good information is important in deciding on a vendor to do surgery on your 2 cycle baby:)

I have dealt with several "porters" here and they all rock, I would not hesitate to send any saw to Randy, Brad or Miller and I imagine I will have samples from a few more guys before too long.

funny thing is I think the 261 runs pretty great stock, i never considered having it ported
DD[/QUOTE]

You can't go wrong with Brad Snelling or Randy. I own a saw ported by each of 'em, and they run flawlessly.

I had only one issue on the Snellerized one, and it wasn't Brad's fault at all, he just send me the ported jug and I put it on a nice used crankcase...but the crankshaft wasn't good enough. Anyway, the crank bearing broke and destroy the piston only. Brad send me a new piston with a popup immediatly, and actually, this saw is my favourite.

I never had the chance to run a saw ported by Carl Miller, but his work looks really good too.

Well, heres what went down. And why I love my Stihl dealer.

I wanted to explore all options and trading in the 261 was one of them. So I headed down this AM to inquire on a trade value towards a 362. I paid $599 for the 261 last December. Ive put probably 4-5 gallons of fuel through it but it barely had a scratch on it (I take care of my ****)

He gave me $425 for the power head and after adding a 6 pack of Ultra (to get the extended warranty), a gallon of bar oil and an 8 pin sprocket, I handed over $297 and walked out with a 362.

Im happier with this direction as it eliminates the modding of the saw.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Feel free to commence with turning this into a 40:1 or 50:1 thread.

souped up saws are where it is at! :)
My problem is every time the gate is opened for "fresh soup" a group of wild buffalo-like hungry saw men trample me and fill up the line, or at other times I am 'financially embarassed' and not able to dole out the fresh noodles. My day will come though -- I am glad there is always hope for fresh soup -- for my saw! :baba:

I wanted to explore all options and trading in the 261 was one of them. So I headed down this AM to inquire on a trade value towards a 362. I paid $599 for the 261 last December. Ive put probably 4-5 gallons of fuel through it but it barely had a scratch on it (I take care of my ****)

He gave me $425 for the power head and after adding a 6 pack of Ultra (to get the extended warranty), a gallon of bar oil and an 8 pin sprocket, I handed over $297 and walked out with a 362.

One way to get more power, but I personally would rather have a ported 50cc saw.

One way to get more power, but I personally would rather have a ported 50cc saw.

Yeah....

When I created this thread I hadn't yet considered the possibility of simply trading up. And when I did consider it, I didn't think my dealer would give me anything over $300. After all, it is a used saw.

I look at modifications as a last resort to getting value in other avenues. I only use my saws to cut firewood so for me there is more value in having a stock saw sized to fit my needs.

And I'm a big guy, lugging that extra 1+ pound for a few weeks a year isn't going to break me.

Im satisfied with the decision. The 8 pin rim with the 16" bar is exactly what I was after in regards to power. It eats the wood.

You can't go wrong with Brad Snelling or Randy. I own a saw ported by each of 'em, and they run flawlessly.

I had only one issue on the Snellerized one, and it wasn't Brad's fault at all, he just send me the ported jug and I put it on a nice used crankcase...but the crankshaft wasn't good enough. Anyway, the crank bearing broke and destroy the piston only. Brad send me a new piston with a popup immediatly, and actually, this saw is my favourite.

I never had the chance to run a saw ported by Carl Miller, but his work looks really good too.

Carl's work is impeccable. He's done work on several jugs for me and every one of them has been near to perfect.

Randy, Scott (Treemonkey,) Brad, and Carl all do excellent work. They each have different approaches and that's fine.

Now go back and trade the 362 in for a 461. Ive had a 362. It went down the road. Too close to the feel/bulk of a 70cc saw with a serious power disadvantage. I gave the 362 a fair shake, it was ported with several tanks of fuel thru it, and to me, it came up "lacking". I wouldnt want to use a stock one.

Latest posts

Back