Thinking about opening a small engine shop.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam, best of luck to you - I hope you can make it there, 4000 is a pretty small town. Todays 'throw-away' society can be tough, people would rather buy a new 99.00 widjit than get their old one fixed for 50.00. In high school I worked at the local L&G shop, winters were tough, no one fixes stuff 'till they need it, then they want it yesterday. Good luck -

Geez, I just read my reply. I need to go slower so I get my words right. People THROW away stuff now. Anyway, I started my business small with hardly any capital and grew it to the point I could have matched my take home pay from my real job. Problem was I didn't have benefits without my real job. Don't ever forget, SERVICE sells. You mentioned a reason for doing this is the other guy has bad service. My quote on my invoices read " If you like my service please tell someone else. If you don't, please tell me". It works! You don't have to be franchised to work on big name brand stuff but you need to be able to buy parts. Also, some companies dictate inventory and amount of service work you do just to be "certified". If you feel more comfortable starting small that is what you should do. It is your turn to call the shots but you will have no one to blame but yourself if you call it wrong.

Dennis

Last edited:
I think I will start by just doing saw and chain maintenance. I will also do lawn mower sharpening and maintenance. Are there any buying groups that I can use to get chain and parts?

i can probily see what i can do i know my prices for 91vx039g 3/8" low pro oregon chain i charge $ 7.99 each my goal after i rename myself and all i am going to become a McCulloch superstore Homelite super store Poulan superstore and then i will have the oregon and rotary and stens parts cause i have certain dealers around me in a 300 mile radius that are saving there mac homelite poulan inventory for me
till i get renamed that way i am in the clear and all

but i am putting everything on hold till after i see what happens when the trustee comes here if he dont take the old inventory then im blessed cause that is how i will make my living cause the prices on it will be reasonable

i have mac oil pumps on my store and alot of other mac parts i just added so far has 70 some parts on the mac catalog

so i am going to be adding more as time presses

keep your chin up if you cannot find a distributor let me know i may be able to set you up a discount rate for parts since you will be a small engine shop

would you believe i have about 15- 25 dealers who order from me

cause of the items that are nos
take care
calvin

if you plan on working on Echo units i am trying to get rid of these echo parts i have cause i want to totally get away from that product line so keep your eyes on estay lol ebay cause i will be posting that complete lot

Last edited:
Yes, Briggs, Kohler, and Tecumseh have been getting quite "uppitty" about
their dealer requirements, to say the least. The warranty "factor" is
inconsequential", as warranty work is a pain at best. Those companies
require a lot of startup bucks, and can drain you quickly.

I would go for Stihl first, screw the rest, the others will court you later.

Quote me on that, if anything......... But if you P.M. me, I still will be helpful.

Geez, I just read my reply. I need to go slower so I get my words right. People THROW away stuff now. Anyway, I started my business small with hardly any capital and grew it to the point I could have matched my take home pay from my real job. Problem was I didn't have benefits without my real job. Don't ever forget, SERVICE sells. You mentioned a reason for doing this is the other guy has bad service. My quote on my invoices read " If you like my service please tell someone else. If you don't, please tell me". It works! You don't have to be franchised to work on big name brand stuff but you need to be able to buy parts. Also, some companies dictate inventory and amount of service work you do just to be "certified". If you feel more comfortable starting small that is what you should do. It is your turn to call the shots but you will have no one to blame but yourself if you call it wrong.

Dennis

dennis this may be a good example of excellent service

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/index.php?target=discussion&thread_id=3372

Yes, Briggs, Kohler, and Tecumseh have been getting quite "uppitty" about
their dealer requirements, to say the least. The warranty "factor" is
inconsequential", as warranty work is a pain at best. Those companies
require a lot of startup bucks, and can drain you quickly.

I would go for Stihl first, screw the rest, the others will court you later.

Quote me on that, if anything......... But if you P.M. me, I still will be helpful.

not to mention mtd fish they require you to be briggs kohler tecumseh and hydra gear certified
after adding all them figures up woah is all i have to say

thats why after 20 years im still not a mtd dealer

but yet i still get the dealer pricing

Adam, best of luck to you - I hope you can make it there, 4000 is a pretty small town. Todays 'throw-away' society can be tough, people would rather buy a new 99.00 widjit than get their old one fixed for 50.00. In high school I worked at the local L&G shop, winters were tough, no one fixes stuff 'till they need it, then they want it yesterday. Good luck -

Small town...lol. Our town has around 750 people in it.

Unless you have a fair chunk of capital or a good line of credit you will not have a setup that will give good service either. Unless your business fills a demand that is not presently being met, you will be fighting for a portion of the existing business. One thing to know is a given that amongst the first customers you will get is the ones the competition considers deadbeats. If the other shop genuinely has poor management you might be able to take advantage of the situation but it is easy to misjudge the real cost of doing business to arrive at proper markups. Inventory is expensive to support. If you are doing it just for the fun of it, it will get old quick. Get some good financial advice and be aware of the amount of thankless paper work that is involved with a business. A lot of people that are mechanically inclined are not the best paper pushers or customer relations. It is possible to be the Jack of All but often there are some hats that Jack does not wear well.

Size it up well, but be cautious; make sure you are not wearing rose tinted sunglasses.

Sad but well put and very true...:popcorn:

I went to college in Fredonia and you guys must be doing something right to survive out there in Cassadaga.

Well we draw customers from as far south as Jamestown, Lakewood and Chautauqua, and from the north Fredonia, Westfield, so it's not like we're surviving off the residents of the village :D But we're not a big business, either.

A couple of things I have learned in my current business class:

Never get into price cutting wars. Keep prices where they are. You need to show your customer that your product will statisfy them better than everyone else.

If you provide good service, the person will tell 3 people. If you provide bad service, they will tell 20. So focus on making the customer happy.

Always be positive, which can be hard at times, but it will really help the customer feel welcomed and wanted.

Make sure you have your resources squared away (land,labor, capital and enterprise). If you are lacking one, bye-bye.

Look at your demographic and identify what they need.

Look at your competition across town and find out what he does well and what he doesn't. If you can match his skills and then master his weaknesses, you should be good to go.

Think outside the box. Good ideas and calculated risks will really pay-off well down right or will sink.

Go at them tiger!!! A lot of the small equipment sellers around here are too complacent, bring a fresh face to the competition!!

Well we draw customers from as far south as Jamestown, Lakewood and Chautauqua, and from the north Fredonia, Westfield, so it's not like we're surviving off the residents of the village :D But we're not a big business, either.

Well i`am probably the only shop owner on this site that lives in Toronto Canada. You guys that own shops in the states are not that different than us here. I have had a small engine repair shop in Toronto Canada for about 9 years. I work out of my garage. Have been since day one. I can tell you i`ve seen it all. Its true if you get new customers its because there usualy deadbeat Landscapers or contractors. With me they think just because i work from my home in my garage that i can sharpen a lawnmower blade for $2.00. You will be getting alot of those. Then you get the ones that think that we live in the cowboy days were you can bring in your horse for shoes and pay after a year. Granted you make some good clients that are loyal. As far as parts lines try Stens, Rotarycorp. There fairly good aftermarket parts dealers. Here in Canada its a seasonal thing other than snowblowers in the winter. Believe me even the big shops here are hurting. Its becoming a world of disposible garbage out there. Good luck just dont think your going to be rich. If you can make it a part time money maker then your good

Thanks for all the advice I will have to read this thread more than once to soak it all in.

I am pretty set on starting small as I have 0 capital. All I have is the tools and the knowledge to repair small engines. I have been doing it for 15 years now for family and friends. It is my family and friends who are encouraging me to start a business because they think I am good at it. I work for a Medical Center currently repairing medical electronics. I went to college in electronic repair however my passion is repairing mechanical stuff.

I am very mechanically inclined and have no doubt in my ability to do small engine repair.

One time I was in Colorado visiting my wife's grandparents. Her grandfather could not get his lawnmower to run very well. I cleaned his carb and he was ever so thankful. He is a former machinist who also thinks I should go for it. Another uncle who is an entrepreneur says I need to start a side job doing something I already know how to to and do it well. I am an excellent trouble shooter and I know I can find the problem and repair thing in a short time frame.

I already have most of the tools as I have already rebuilt several small engines including a Robyn golf cart engine. I will need to get the specialty tools but I can get thin one at a time as the need come up.

Again thanks for the help.

Now all I need to know is how to market. I also do not want to grow to fast.

stihl want too much control and they like to call the shots.

Can you clarify that? Meaning like # of chainsaws to be kept in stock along with the size of the signs and etc?

Thanks for all the advice I will have to read this thread more than once to soak it all in.

I am pretty set on starting small as I have 0 capital. All I have is the tools and the knowledge to repair small engines. I have been doing it for 15 years now for family and friends. It is my family and friends who are encouraging me to start a business because they think I am good at it. I work for a Medical Center currently repairing medical electronics. I went to college in electronic repair however my passion is repairing mechanical stuff.

I am very mechanically inclined and have no doubt in my ability to do small engine repair.

One time I was in Colorado visiting my wife's grandparents. Her grandfather could not get his lawnmower to run very well. I cleaned his carb and he was ever so thankful. He is a former machinist who also thinks I should go for it. Another uncle who is an entrepreneur says I need to start a side job doing something I already know how to to and do it well. I am an excellent trouble shooter and I know I can find the problem and repair thing in a short time frame.

I already have most of the tools as I have already rebuilt several small engines including a Robyn golf cart engine. I will need to get the specialty tools but I can get thin one at a time as the need come up.

Again thanks for the help.

Now all I need to know is how to market. I also do not want to grow to fast.

if it makes you feel better i never worked on a golf cart before are they easy to fix ????

cause i been thinking since there are tons of golf courses in my area no one hardly works on the golf carts

thanks
calvin

let me know if there is a certain brand name in your area cause here in my area its very limited as to what brands are around here for instance hardly any homelite saw owners in my county here and hardly any Echo owners its mostly poulan users from the lowes and walmart stores
stihl is popular so is shindaiwa and john deere

good thing the nearest home cheapo is 50 miles from me

the problem here in my area is my location is in the country not in town so people dont like the drive 30 miles to get there unit repaired or pick up parts you can say the internet store is where my customers are plus the john deere dealer down the road from me gets all the business

but i be glad when people start realizing paying $ 60.00 a hr for a saw repair or mower repair is kinda high compared to a small company such as myself when i charge according to the job not the book price

most the time my labor dont go over 45.00 per customer

i dont believe in over charging a customer never did and never will
so that is why my service online hopefully some of these locals find me online so far 1 morehead city guy has found me he was searching for Homelite pumps and found my website so now he knows i handle Homelite pump parts and repair

when he called i thought he was calling from out of state

Last edited:
if it makes you feel better i never worked on a golf cart before are they easy to fix ????

cause i been thinking since there are tons of golf courses in my area no one hardly works on the golf carts

thanks
calvin

let me know if there is a certain brand name in your area cause here in my area its very limited as to what brands are around here for instance hardly any homelite saw owners in my county here and hardly any Echo owners its mostly poulan users from the lowes and walmart stores
stihl is popular so is shindaiwa and john deere

I thought the golf cart was easy to fix. I completely rebuilt the engine even putting in a new crank shaft because someone ran it out of oil. Also the valves were wore and working there way up into the head.

However If I would have a chance to do it over again I would just buy a rebuilt engine and swap it out they can be had for little les that $1000 if you find the right online parts distributor.

The electric cars are even easier. If you are good at electrical trouble shooting.

Because there are two cities within 45min of me that have acombined population of about 500,000 all brands can be found in my area. however I expect most will be John Deer Poulan, and Husky because the is what is sold here in my small town. The compitition also sells jred but any one who buys from her will probably stick with her.

How does $45 sound for a complete saw tune up parts xtra.

I would check compression

clean spark plug and

check sprocket

clean out all oil wood dust buildup

adjust carb with tachometer.

check bar and chain for wear. Dress bar if necessary suggest replacement if required.

inspect air filter for damage and suggest replacement if required (part will be xtra of course)

inspect spark arrestor for build up

sharpen 1 chain. ($8.00 for additional chain under 20" $10.00 for over 20")

Also try to sell quality bar and chain oil and 2 cycle oil.

If you provide bad service, they will tell 20. So focus on making the customer happy.

Some customers you will NEVER be able to make happy. Thats the one thing that really gets to me about this business. It has got to the stage I wont offer to do a "cheap" job for a customer on an old machine, cos when it eventually breaks again you are the worst in the world.

As a colleague of mine said, it would be a great job if we didn't have the customers :clap:

As for Stihl and Husky under the one roof, I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in the UK neither company would stand for it... if you started with Husky you needn't apply for Stihl, you just wont get it!

Doc

Latest posts

Back