Thinking of defecting to the dark (dork) side.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am contemplating a new 60cc class saw to complete my lineup, and I am considering three popular contenders.

The 357XP. I have other Huskys and would like to keep everything orange, but it;s damn expensive.

The Makita 6401. For the money it looks like the best bang for the buck, does anyone have anything bad to say about the 6400/6401?

The one and only 361. It's also expensive as f&@k, but I am wondering if it's all it is cracked up to be.

I won;t be buying anything until late winter at the earliest, I am brainstorming now.....:givebeer:

361. You won't ever go wrong with it. Plus some many out there have modded them. Why not? You know 70% of the people here on AS will say 361. Just don't get the QS model. :cheers:

You like the old saws, right? How about a Mac 10-10? Or it's stronger brother the Prom Mac 700? Or are you wanting a higher revving modern saw?

I do like my older saws, and I have a 10-10 that needs some work, but I also like having a few newer, lighter saws with chainbrakes and good AV. The oldies are for fun/showing off, I like a few newer ones for real work.

How's the fishing?

It sucks salty balls of burning hot creosote.

Hi Spacemule.

I'm a Stihl owner many timers over, and the 361 is an awesome saw. That said, The 6400/6401 is not a bad saw either. I dont think you can go wrong with it. I think the air filter leaves some to be desired, but thats my opinion.

cut

It sucks salty balls of burning hot creosote.

Howdy AOD. Wow that is some kind of sucks. I don't suppose it's cold enough to go ice fishing yet, but when it is, those salty balls of molten creosote may come in handy...........

What kind of fishing do you do?

Oh, btw, my recommendation is the venerable 009. Great little saw. Just the other day at work, my colleagues were outside smoking in the cold, and my boss commented that the overgrown dumpster corral for the vacant highrise hotel next to the jail would make a nice smoking shelter. Well, out came the 009 from behind the seat in my car, 3-4 pulls and it's a cuttin' small trees. My colleague commented that it seemed like a really good running saw. Yup. True story.

Howdy AOD. Wow that is some kind of sucks. I don't suppose it's cold enough to go ice fishing yet, but when it is, those salty balls of molten creosote may come in handy...........

What kind of fishing do you do?

Oh, btw, my recommendation is the venerable 009. Great little saw. Just the other day at work, my colleagues were outside smoking in the cold, and my boss commented that the overgrown dumpster corral for the vacant highrise hotel next to the jail would make a nice smoking shelter. Well, out came the 009 from behind the seat in my car, 3-4 pulls and it's a cuttin' small trees. My colleague commented that it seemed like a really good running saw. Yup. True story.

Man, that 009 sure is an awesome saw! Can't wait to try one out dropping a huge white oak. :greenchainsaw:

Not to steal the thread, but I thought you might appreciate this, AOD.

attachment.php

Man, that 009 sure is an awesome saw! Can't wait to try one out dropping a huge white oak. :greenchainsaw:

Well, uh, you got the first part right, anyway.:greenchainsaw:

Mine has a 12 inch "Blade" on it, and wears it quite comfortably. If I were in the PNW, it would likely have a 32" cause the hardest thing out there is cedar....j/k yes, I'm just kidding. Really. :greenchainsaw:

If I were using it primarily on the ground such as bucking up firewood or logs the 6401 feels more powerful out of the box ( to a 361 )but lifting it up straight in front of you and reaching out for limbs it doesn't feel near as comfortable as my 044. I assume the 361 handles more like the 044 and obviously lighter. Its been a while since I run a 361 and haven't run it alongside either the 44 or 6401 but I run the o44 alongside the 6401 quite a bit. The 6401 is a great bang for the bucks and if you used something with it that you can grab for major limbing it can handle most bucking very comfortably. I bought my 6401 because I found it to hard to resist brand new in the box with some 2 cycle and bar oil for $345 + less then $20 to ship. No regrets. My 3rd new chainsaw in about 25+ years selling firewood.

BUT!!! BUT!!!! BUT!!!! The 361 cures cancer!!!!

I like the 357xp, on paper at least. But as I understand it a 20" is about max. But I gather it runs it well!!
Want a 24" you really need a moded 359.
The 361 "can" pull a 28", I wouldn't do it mind you!!

I have heard of a 6401 that was tickled pink running a 28", stock!! I am not saying all will, or can, but it's a rumor.

The 6401 looks like an old 1960s bonnet type hair dryer to me. ;) You can rent one to try it at most Home Depots.

But you really want a 361. I have two of them. Lighter and more nimble than a 440, far less vibration as well.

Also keep an eye out on CL. You can get some real good deals on barely used ones for $400-$500 (or less if you are lucky).

I'm a Stihl owner many timers over, and the 361 is an awesome saw. That said, The 6400/6401 is not a bad saw either. I dont think you can go wrong with it. I think the air filter leaves some to be desired, but thats my opinion.

Easily fixed with some foam air filter spray and a spare filter, which every serious saw user should have anyway.

I went with the 6401, cause I hate going with the crowd, and the 6401 has more torque than the other two. ;)

361. You won't ever go wrong with it. Plus some many out there have modded them. Why not? You know 70% of the people here on AS will say 361. Just don't get the QS model. :cheers:

:agree2:

What is wrong with the 6400/6401 is the weight and bulk, if you care (I do)......:givebeer:

....and I don't want an outboard clutch on an all-round saw (357xp).....

What is wrong with the 6400/6401 is the weight and bulk, if you care (I do)......:givebeer:

....and I don't want an outboard clutch on an all-round saw (357xp).....

The thing of it is though....it is hard for me to get excited about a 60cc saw. I know that the 361 is a great tool, as are the 357 and 2156, but to me the 60cc class is for having only one saw. When the time came for me to get my first real saw, I decided on an 036. That was a great chainsaw. However, when I got more serious about things, I knew that the 036 would not do the heavy bucking and falling that I would need it to do. The 036 was replaced with an 044 and an 026. The big saw for the heavy work, the little one for the limbing and trimming. There were days when the 044 would never come out of the truck, the 026 did it all, all while saving 2lbs over the 036 and 4lbs over the 044.

For me I like the 50, 70, 90cc plan. :)

Latest posts

Back