thinking of new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deerezilla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been thinking of a new saw for cutting fire wood I have a stihl ms290 with a 16 then I have a ms440 with a 25in and my big saw is a 661r with a 32in. So I been thinking of getting a ms 362 with a 20 in bar kinda have the power of my bigger saws but for doing smaller work.

I had an Ms 390 and a wild thing at one time. I realized that the smaller saw was better for trimming so I ended up getting an ms 260. Now I have 2 that size and I run them almost all the time with 16 or 20 inch bars. I have been thinking about selling one and getting an ms 361 for a great three saw plan but my wife is wise to my ways.

I would probably go with 50 cc size since you have some big boys.

I've had only 3 50cc saws the last few years since i started cutting (2 ms261s and a ms260). Recently sold a 261 and picked up a 60cc. Went with husky though...562xp. Haven't cut too much with it but the little time I've spent with it I am not all that impressed. Honestly doesn't feel any better than my stihl 50s.

On the thread I posted about it a lot of guys recommended a 70cc and I think that might be the prime combo: a 50cc and 70cc.

I would recommend you throw a 261 into the mix, I think a 261 is a totally killer saw for your smaller work.

I had an Ms 390 and a wild thing at one time. I realized that the smaller saw was better for trimming so I ended up getting an ms 260. Now I have 2 that size and I run them almost all the time with 16 or 20 inch bars. I have been thinking about selling one and getting an ms 361 for a great three saw plan but my wife is wise to my ways.

I would probably go with 50 cc size since you have some big boys.

You owned a Wild Thing? You are hereby instructed to remove 25 points from your mancard.

Yeah, my first saw. It was the 42 cc wild thing. I think it was $100 and it really cut! I could bury the 18 inch bar and fly. I got every penny and then some out of it and still got $50 when I sold it. Only thing that I didn’t like was the terrible vibration!

I'd sell the 290, buy a 261 with a 16 or 18" bar, and get a 20" bar to put on your 440.
Yes and make the 20" a stihl lite.
Thanks, my friend:cheers:.
I agree, but it seems he's a stihl guy, but at least he like saws :).
OP are you stuck on the stihls, or are you willing to grab up another brand, nothing wrong with stihls, but there are a lot of other great choices.
The early 362 was the biggest turd without being ported, and the 562 is also for what the numbers show. As for it not having much more power than a 50cc saw I would have to disagree, also the 50cc stihls ain't nothing special just as good as the husky 50cc(and as for personal preference I like the handling of the huskys). Out of all the pro saws I've ran the early model 362 and the 562's have been the worse per the ratings, I've only ran a ported 362c, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
362 is going to be quite close to your 440 in weight but less power. I might go the route of a pro 50 cc too.
Agreed, 50cc is where it's at based on the OP's current lineup, I most times go from a 40-50-70 rare to grab a 60. I use a 440 with a 20" lite bar for my lightweight 70cc saw, if you only fill the tanks half full it will weigh less than a 362 or 562 and a pro grade 20" bar full of fuel.
The bar you choose to run can play into the weight of the total package a lot, even running a cheap non replaceable tip bar lightens things up a lot.

I think what you really "need" and would be happy with is a ported stihl 241 or a dolmar/makita 421.
A 346/550 or a 260/261c version or the standard carb would also be nice.
I'm not sure what "smaller work" is.
Welcome to AS Deerezilla :).

Yes and make the 20" a stihl lite.

Thanks, my friend:cheers:.
I agree, but it seems he's a stihl guy, but at least he like saws :).
OP are you stuck on the stihls, or are you willing to grab up another brand, nothing wrong with stihls, but there are a lot of other great choices.
The early 362 was the biggest turd without being ported, and the 562 is also for what the numbers show. As for it not having much more power than a 50cc saw I would have to disagree, also the 50cc stihls ain't nothing special just as good as the husky 50cc(and as for personal preference I like the handling of the huskys). Out of all the pro saws I've ran the early model 362 and the 562's have been the worse per the ratings, I've only ran a ported 362c, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Agreed, 50cc is where it's at based on the OP's current lineup, I most times go from a 40-50-70 rare to grab a 60. I use a 440 with a 20" lite bar for my lightweight 70cc saw, if you only fill the tanks half full it will weigh less than a 362 or 562 and a pro grade 20" bar full of fuel.
The bar you choose to run can play into the weight of the total package a lot, even running a cheap non replaceable tip bar lightens things up a lot.

I think what you really "need" and would be happy with is a ported stihl 241 or a dolmar/makita 421.
A 346/550 or a 260/261c version or the standard carb would also be nice.
I'm not sure what "smaller work" is.
Welcome to AS Deerezilla :).
I love my 562 but if I guy has a ported 50 and has a good 70 I agree they are redundant.

I would just get a ported 562, that's right I did. :) Makes a 70cc stock saw redundant.;)

What's all this talk or redundancy?

Am I in the wrong forum?
Same thought, I like redundancy :innocent:.
But in answering the OP's question redundancy doesn't seem qualify as a proper answer.
If it does, then he should put a stihl lite 20 on the 440 and a 24 lite on a 461 and be ready to rock.
You are correct. Never have enough saws, just ask Brett. (chipper 1)
Enough saws, oxymoron o_O.

Well my 440 is ported with a 25 stihl light on it. I’m looking for something better that will handle a 18-20 in bar. My 290 is a dog. I have never liked that saw it barely handles a 16in the only thing it’s good for it cutting fence posts off at the ranch.

I’m not against a husky but not a very big fan I been looking at a 562xp but have not picked one up. I’m looking for a liming saw and a lighter saw for my wife or buddies to use to noodle with.
Most of the wood we cut is juniper and red pine or tamarack If we’re cutting pine seams like the easey wood to go after is 32in or bigger. So that’s why I been looking at the 362 now maybe the 261 if I have Jack Beelar do his insano SS mod to it like he had done to the rest of my saws
I live out in the bfe I have a stihl shop about 75 miles away he does sell Husqvarna but does not have much of a selection of them

Well my 440 is ported with a 25 stihl light on it. I’m looking for something better that will handle a 18-20 in bar. My 290 is a dog. I have never liked that saw it barely handles a 16in the only thing it’s good for it cutting fence posts off at the ranch.

I’m not against a husky but not a very big fan I been looking at a 562xp but have not picked one up. I’m looking for a liming saw and a lighter saw for my wife or buddies to use to noodle with.
Most of the wood we cut is juniper and red pine or tamarack If we’re cutting pine seams like the easey wood to go after is 32in or bigger. So that’s why I been looking at the 362 now maybe the 261 if I have Jack Beelar do his insano SS mod to it like he had done to the rest of my saws
I live out in the bfe I have a stihl shop about 75 miles away he does sell Husqvarna but does not have much of a selection of them
Get another 440 and throw an 18 or 20 light on it. If I was that far from dealers I wouldn't want a saw that only a dealer could service.
I like my mtronic and autotune saws, but don't think I'd have them being that far away.
If I was to get one(AT/Mtronic) and in your situation I'd get the 362c in the newest version, and I'm more of a husky guy myself.
Maybe he could do you up a 291 :lol:.

I also would like it to run 3/8 chain I have a roll stihl chain I make my chains from. I like my 661 with the mtronic my dealer told me to start it with the choke on for 90 sec then blip the trigger then shut it off then restart to recalibrate for the difference in elevation.
90% of the time I run my 661 I like the power of it but for the guys and my wife don’t like the Power or weight of it that sometimes go with me.
We cut just under 100 cords a year for my house and parents. The rest goes to heat my shop in the winter 80x40 farm shop takes quite a lot of wood to heat.

Latest posts

Back