thinking of new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would like it to run 3/8 chain I have a roll stihl chain I make my chains from. I like my 661 with the mtronic my dealer told me to start it with the choke on for 90 sec then blip the trigger then shut it off then restart to recalibrate for the difference in elevation.
90% of the time I run my 661 I like the power of it but for the guys and my wife don’t like the Power or weight of it that sometimes go with me.
We cut just under 100 cords a year for my house and parents. The rest goes to heat my shop in the winter 80x40 farm shop takes quite a lot of wood to heat.
I get that.
I just buy a bunch, then I can get a feel for them all, it sounds like they need to try them all too, this just might get expensive lol.
Do they like to run the 290.

All of my saws are 3/8. I think I might run .325 on the 026 for a while since that’s how it came and have a couple of good chains. Changing back and forth only takes a minute.

We use it to limb but that’s it most day we might run a tank of fuel
So I would say no it just sits in the back of the truck most of the time we all feel it’s just to small and no power. One of the guys has a 550xp with a 20in he likes it I don’t or I should say I don’t like the feel of it.

We use it to limb but that’s it most day we might run a tank of fuel
So I would say no it just sits in the back of the truck most of the time we all feel it’s just to small and no power. One of the guys has a 550xp with a 20in he likes it I don’t or I should say I don’t like the feel of it.
Since you don't like the feel of the 550, sound like you should get your hands on the 362 and the 261, you will probably like them. I don't prefer them for handling, but that's pretty normal for guys to get used to certain brands. I run them all and will deal with the things I don't like in a specific brand of saws for the benefits that saw has to offer. Like the 241, husky doesn't have anything that compares in that class so I run them, but I prefer the handling of the 346/550 in a 50cc saw so I switch, 60cc saws are not something I like, but my favorite is a 555, but I don't have one right now and I will just skip to a 70cc saw, huskys for handling and the Stihls for bucking, dolmars for a bit of both, just depends.

You owned a Wild Thing? You are hereby instructed to remove 25 points from your mancard.

I'd give him 30 points back, takes a real man to admit it. I actually owned a couple of them. My Dad gave me one for Christmas because it came with a case, extra chain and oil for $99. He didn't know how Poulan had crashed from the old days when we used the XXV's for climbing saws. Then two different times I was loading up the truck. Had the 660 in one hand, the 290 in the other, and forgot to go back and get my little Echo 305 climbing saw. Got on the job, too far to go home, Depot up the road. When ever some one asked to borrow a saw I'd just give them a green thing, Joe.

I'd give him 30 points back, takes a real man to admit it. I actually owned a couple of them. My Dad gave me one for Christmas because it came with a case, extra chain and oil for $99. He didn't know how Poulan had crashed from the old days when we used the XXV's for climbing saws. Then two different times I was loading up the truck. Had the 660 in one hand, the 290 in the other, and forgot to go back and get my little Echo 305 climbing saw. Got on the job, too far to go home, Depot up the road. When ever some one asked to borrow a saw I'd just give them a green thing, Joe.
I'm sure the Wild Thing was the gateway drug for many of us here. It was my first saw. Affordable and it was actually very reliable. I ran it for 2 yrs. Then, I got my first pro saw and I was hooked!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the Wild Thing was the gateway drug for many of us here. It was my first saw. Affordable and it was actually very reliable. I ran it for 2 yrs. Then, I got my first pro saw and I was hooked!

I think you may be right. I used to recommend them to friends. Told them they could buy one cheaper than the could fix one of mine if they screwed it up. I actually let my BIL use one of my 100CC saws "ONCE". It came back, with the chain hanging loose, looked like he cut concrete with no oil on the bar. He's still alive, but now he does all of my electric work free, and I do all of his tree work. Oh, he's had several green things since. I told him "Just Keep Them Out Of The Dirt", after an hour, the chain is hanging, looks like it cut concrete, no oil on bar. You can lead some people to knowledge, but you can't make them absorb it, Joe.

Mine was an orange poulan, "husky" 142, learned a little since then lol.
I still have it, warbled out exhaust holes from them coming loose, Piston still looks great and it fired the last time I gave a "pullon" the cord :).

Some fella what goes by the handle @sunfish broke it down a little differently one time for me:laugh:
Well, as I said, different folks like different equipment for various reasons. I think for the most part Stihls have more grunt in the cut when comparing cc to cc(which is many times hard to do), but I would rather run the huskys if they have a comparable saw in the cc range that will do the job.
Don knows where I stand, and I think you do too Tim. But I'll run them all and keep smiling, even a ms170 with a picco chain can make me smile, I like to operate equipment :).

I think you may be right. I used to recommend them to friends. Told them they could buy one cheaper than the could fix one of mine if they screwed it up. I actually let my BIL use one of my 100CC saws "ONCE". It came back, with the chain hanging loose, looked like he cut concrete with no oil on the bar. He's still alive, but now he does all of my electric work free, and I do all of his tree work. Oh, he's had several green things since. I told him "Just Keep Them Out Of The Dirt", after an hour, the chain is hanging, looks like it cut concrete, no oil on bar. You can lead some people to knowledge, but you can't make them absorb it, Joe.
Completely agree. My saws don't get lent out anymore. I'll be glad to help cut. Otherwise, go rent one. I cringe when watching inexperienced people with saws. Not only from the abuse but also from a safety perspective. Even the smallest piece of crap saw will rip you up fast.

Mine was an orange poulan, "husky" 142, learned a little since then lol.
I still have it, warbled out exhaust holes from them coming loose, Piston still looks great and it fired the last time I gave a "pullon" the cord :).
We've all become jaded. I have to remind myself that most people don't like saws and cutting wood. Shocking! I'm always looking for an excuse to get another.

My thoughts lately are buy what you like. If you don't know what you like, you will likely end up with a saw that you think you like, because you don't know any difference. :)
Hey Don.
My thoughts are just keep buying them, sooner or later you'll know lol.
The more I run different saws the less impressed I get get. I have found there are a few that I enjoy more than others, but even with those they don't always meet all my needs let alone others needs.
We've all become jaded. I have to remind myself that most people don't like saws and cutting wood. Shocking! I'm always looking for an excuse to get another.

Just let me run about any piece of quality equipment and I'm enjoying myself, not as much if it's not quality.

Well, as I said, different folks like different equipment for various reasons. I think for the most part Stihls have more grunt in the cut when comparing cc to cc(which is many times hard to do), but I would rather run the huskys if they have a comparable saw in the cc range that will do the job.
Don knows where I stand, and I think you do too Tim. But I'll run them all and keep smiling, even a ms170 with a picco chain can make me smile, I like to operate equipment :).
Husky guy here too but I'd love to welcome a 044 or 064 to the fleet.

One week reading this forum and i have to ask Is there a cure for this Chainsaw sickness?

For 7 years i have had the same Husky 450e for general purpose cutting firewood on our 6 acre property. Light duty never gave me a problem but i always thought i want something else.
Last week i bought a MS260.
Today i sold the 450e.
And then ran to the dealer to buy a new 562XP.
Already thinking about what to do next besides cutting up ash logs.

One week reading this forum and i have to ask Is there a cure for this Chainsaw sickness?

For 7 years i have had the same Husky 450e for general purpose cutting firewood on our 6 acre property. Light duty never gave me a problem but i always thought i want something else.
Last week i bought a MS260.
Today i sold the 450e.
And then ran to the dealer to buy a new 562XP.
Already thinking about what to do next besides cutting up ash logs.
Welcome to AS Dave.
I've heard the cure is to buy another one, I still haven't been cured lol.

The only cure is to own more saws than you need.

When you find yourself asking yourself "why do I have this many saws, I can only run one at a time" the support staff here will help you off the ledge and you'll buy another saw.

Back