Thinking of starting square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jy8avady.jpg

I got it to work now in tapatalk.

This is some of Davlee's finest? The picture is from Photo Bucket.

This chain should represent . . .

A: A square grind
B: The cutter is cut way back to the minimum
C: Looks like the chain has been stoned or smoothed and aligned a little?
D: Very sharp angles for good cookie cutting

I have been cleaning the gullets out with a round file, is this the norm? How far back should i go, and should i file them at an angle or does it matter.

Yes, round file is the norm. You can smooth the gullet right out with a round file.

I hold the file at a cutting angle so if the gullet does catch a chip, it'll throw it aside.

I have been cleaning the gullets out with a round file, is this the norm? How far back should i go, and should i file them at an angle or does it matter.

I file them at an angle. I go about even with the side plate or a little further back depending on whether I'm filing or grinding the chain. The gullet can hit the bottom corner of the square file and make it harder to file.

That chain was just ground in that picture if I remember. The gullet doesn't look cleaned out good or the tooth thinned or any other work done to the back. No stoning on the rivets there. It was just smoothed from cutting.

Latest posts

Back