Thinking of starting square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions - I've been reading the big "who's tried and given up" thread, and some others. Great info but I'm still wondering:
1 - Is it more advisable in the long run (not necessarily easiest) to start free hand or with a converted granburg/oregon jig?
2 - I'm thinking of trying goofy (round edges) to start, should I first try touching up a round filed full chisel, or try and find a loop of square ground to start with?
3 - If starting with square, it would most likely be Stihl RSLK, is that ok with a goofy? If not what file do I need?
4- Otherwise it's track down Oregon, or Carlton (but do they even do SG?). I'm thinking Oregon would be easiest to convert from round to square anyway...

I think I'll do it for the 20" bar on my 064, .050 gauge. I'll make sure I'm cutting clean, silica embedded free wood...

I've done all the above.

The easiest is to touch up a already square chain.

I think the Oregon square is LC? Look on Bailey's and you will find it.

I have a lot of Stihl RS made into square.

You will wear out a file converting a round to square.

I have a Silvey grinder for square work but I stihl use a file to touch them up in the woods.

Square cuts unbelievably fast when sharp

And it does pretty good in clean green wood.

You cut into a log that was rolled around with a bull dozer and snaked 1/2 mile to the loading site, Square will not last very long. Don't use chisel chain in dirty wood period.

When that little point is gone all the fast cutting slows down in a hurry

I wasn't thinking of converting all in one go, just touching up round with a goofy every sharpen. So this still isn't a good way to go? Is RSLK or the Oregon suare OK to sharpen with a goofy? I should I skip the goofy if starting with square? I know about the dirt thing - I've got semi chisel for that

The goofy leaves the vertical component of the tooth rather short. I've been using 6 sided files to touch up square chains with the shiny points and the six sided file works pretty good for that.

If you already have a goofy you need to at least try to touch up a chain with it?

The biggest important thing with sharpening square chains is keeping the inside or the corner in line with the outside of the corner.

As long as you keep the corner aligned with no beaks, the chain will cut pretty good.

If you are low with your filing that beak will break off right away.

If you are high with the file, the chain will just not cut.

Look on Madsens site and they explain all this

It will be worth your time once you get it figured out, but beware be patient. It takes time I have been doing it for a while now and by no means have it perfect but I have got them where they cut very good. Its fun to cut with friends that have no idea about square filing and blow by them in the cut. Check out Madsens they get very in depth with the dos and donts. I use a file from STIHL you can get them at your local dealer but it is a three sided triangle shaped file I rough my chains in with that and then switch to a double bevel file for sinish work. Im not by any means saying that this is the proper way to do it but it works for me.

Keep the corner of the file in the corner of the tooth. A tiny bit low is better than high. I like the angle to be hitting the tie straps with the file for work. I've never tried a goofy file myself but it won't be a bad way to start into square filing.

SierraWoodsman just set me up with some square filed chain. I think you'll love it. As for hand filing it I got a couple of different bevel files from Bailey's and have only filed the chain once so far. Yes it is more difficult and slower than round filed, but it was my first try. Just follow the existing marks of the previous grind. I'm certain with a few more times of practice it will not be any problem. By the time I got 1/2 way around the chain I was already starting to go faster.

To sharpen a already square chain - I don't consider it any more difficult that sharpening a round filed chain after I got used to it.

I can file pretty much as fast square as round. It just takes a roll of chain or so and a couple dozen files to get proficient.

I want to start using sqaure too.

Do yall have the part number of the file to use? Like the double bevel yall are talking about? I round file alot and i think i can do it! Thanks Guys!!

Just look on baileys website for a save edge or pferd double bevel.

The inside corner doesn't matter - forget it

edit
Let me rephrase that . . .

Where the inside vertical tooth component and the inside horizontal component intersect on the inside of the tooth is impossible to maintain nor can it be easily determined where it bisects the inside corner of the tooth.

Things you are interested in is where this ground intersecting angle comes out with the outside of the cutter tooth. These two angle sound ideally come to the same point. The interior angle are the next consideration and they may force the intersection of the horizontal and vertical components line to vary some unimportant amount on the inside of the tooth?

Last edited:
I guess you are getting confused on terminology?

The inside bisecting angle must meet the outside corner dead on or slightly below.

Where this inside bisecting angle meets the inside corner of the tooth is not important.

This statement of yours is what is important

"I don't leave any beaks and I aim dead on for the outside corner but for the inside corner I'm going as low as I can just barely touching the tie strap on the other side."

thanks a lot guys I've almost got it sorted in my head. I'm thinking I may just skip the goofy then and go straight for the 6 sided - the ones baileys call - http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Files-Filing/Bevel/ files. Then buy a loop of square ground and copy it for sharpening, is this a good plan for a first time square filer? I like to think I'm pretty good with a round file and do a lot of metal work including general file use... Or is it very advisable to start with goofy? On a pre-square ground chain?

So I'm guessing file angles (between file faces) are the same - you can use any square file on any square chain? Like if I get Stihl chain I don't have to use Stihl files? I could use a bevel, chisel or corner file (baileys terminology) to sharpen any brand of SG chain?

thanks a lot guys I've almost got it sorted in my head. I'm thinking I may just skip the goofy then and go straight for the 6 sided - the ones baileys call - http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Files-Filing/Bevel/ files. Then buy a loop of square ground and copy it for sharpening, is this a good plan for a first time square filer? I like to think I'm pretty good with a round file and do a lot of metal work including general file use... Or is it very advisable to start with goofy? On a pre-square ground chain?

So I'm guessing file angles (between file faces) are the same - you can use any square file on any square chain? Like if I get Stihl chain I don't have to use Stihl files? I could use a bevel, chisel or corner file (baileys terminology) to sharpen any brand of SG chain?

Just grab a double bevel file from bailey's and get after it... Keep the corner of the file dead center of the cutting point and it'll cut...
Remember, the angle of the underside of the top plate will dictate the speed at which you cut, but its a trade off for durability... If you're nicking the back of the tie strap, you'll have a good work chain...
As always, the more consistent you can keep your cutters, the better, but if the raker depth is consistent on all the cutters, it'll still cut good...
It's fun.. Enjoy your new addiction...

Back