Thinking of starting square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just grab a double bevel file from bailey's and get after it... Keep the corner of the file dead center of the cutting point and it'll cut...
Remember, the angle of the underside of the top plate will dictate the speed at which you cut, but its a trade off for durability... If you're nicking the back of the tie strap, you'll have a good work chain...
As always, the more consistent you can keep your cutters, the better, but if the raker depth is consistent on all the cutters, it'll still cut good...
It's fun.. Enjoy your new addiction...
Thanks - I have no doubt I will... Just gotta find some wood that won't root my nice sharp chain too quick!

i did not see it mentioned ,but filing square go opposite direction of round ,start from outside of cutter and file in

It's like everything else, "practice makes perfect",
I like the performance of square chisel so much I ended up buying the grinder
to keep them up. I've gotten decent results by hand sharpening square,
but never quite as good as on the Silvey. admire a few guy's here on A.S. can hand file
it with even better results than a grinder. never got that good with a file . Of the various types,
liked the double bevel the best.

Also what are the dimensions of this flat file" thickness wise" I find it hard to believe I need to pay $12 plus shipping per file, I can find one near home I am sure cheaper than that. Thanks for your help Jeff

The files for square sharpened chains are all close to $12 where ever I've looked. Even the small ones that look like a triangular file.

They are not round on the edges

You need to buy one and try it out for yourself.

Those are save edge files in the video. That's how I do it and it works for me. Some people put the saw in a vise or a filing jig.

The files for square sharpened chains are all close to $12 where ever I've looked. Even the small ones that look like a triangular file.

They are not round on the edges

You need to buy one and try it out for yourself.

I may, there is a real nice supply house here that sells all manner of tools and if I knew the file thickness I can go there and check. They look like just normal thickness 3 or 4 mm or so. It is the edge profile I need to find I think.

I may, there is a real nice supply house here that sells all manner of tools and if I knew the file thickness I can go there and check. They look like just normal thickness 3 or 4 mm or so. It is the edge profile I need to find I think.

That is correct

The goofy/round will be easier to start with since there's no straight edge for the side plate. With the double bevel you have to keep 3 angles at once and 2 with the goofy.

Also what are the dimensions of this flat file" thickness wise" I find it hard to believe I need to pay $12 plus shipping per file, I can find one near home I am sure cheaper than that. Thanks for your help Jeff

And that is why I lost interest in square filing.

what kind of chains is square filing the best to do? semi? full? or doesn't matter? I have .325 on a few saws and 3/8 on one. I would only like to try one at first to see if I have a nack for it.

Great thread by the way. I have been very curious since I seen randys thread on the 261c and his video with regular vs square and seen the improvement in the video.

It has to be full chisel chain to be able to square file it. .325 can be done as well as 3/8" low profile. 3/8" is much easier for me to file.

If you are just learning it is much better to buy a loop of square ground chain to learn to file. Then you can at least get an idea of what it should look like , and how to hold the file.

It has to be full chisel chain to be able to square file it. .325 can be done as well as 3/8" low profile. 3/8" is much easier for me to file.

Thanks ill just buy a loop as stated in the above comment and im sure I can catch on. I have a few triangle files and a few bevel files already lying around. Thanks for the video and info fellas.

Latest posts

Back