Thinking of starting square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck I think my. Top plate is shallower than that. It lasts long enough for me;)

Heck I think my. Top plate is shallower than that. It lasts long enough for me;)

i couldn't get a good shot with my phone ,kept getting blurry ,top plate on the dress part of my stone is dressed about 3/4 of an inch now ,it was about 1/2 an inch before ,it's fairly shallow ,if adjust the cariage closer to the wheel it may get steeper yet ,i'm hitting the straps now ,so it's steeper than the pics look ,the one tooth in the pic of 3 cutters ,can kind of see how steep

That's about the same Geometry as I grind mine at and they hold up good.
Like previously stated, the angles your using your nicking the tie-strap so they are going to self feed
and cut fast. Looks real good man, maybe the gullet needs a little attention.... Don't
want them getting to long on ya or they will start to reduce performance.

That's about the same Geometry as I grind mine at and they hold up good.
Like previously stated, the angles your using your nicking the tie-strap so they are going to self feed
and cut fast. Looks real good man, maybe the gullet needs a little attention.... Don't
want them getting to long on ya or they will start to reduce performance.

i had to cut a stump off that was full of dirt ,,gullet was cleaned out before that grind ,next grind or 2 i will grind the gullets again with the round grinder and check rakers ,when hit dirt takes a bit of cutter loss to get back to a pointed outer corner

There has been some good advice posted here. I'll just suggest a couple of additional things:

When I first started, I just couldn't figure out a way to file the right-hand cutters with my right (dominant) hand. So I made myself learn to do them with my left, and it was pretty easy after a bit. That was 30+ years ago, and now I'm at least as good with my left.

Last winter, a member here chased down some of the new Oberg double-bevel chisel files and got some for me. I honestly didn't expect much, as they look just like all the others currently available. I've tried everything I could find in the last few years. I used ONE of the new Obergs exclusively for the whole summer. (It's been years since I logged, but I cut a LOT of firewood.) One file has done the job for the entire summer and finally met its demise a few days ago. I had a chain left here by someone who didn't pick up his saw or pay me, so I converted the chain to square for my own use. The chain had been ground and hardened, so it was rough on the file. It's still a good depth gauge file, though. Still not 100% sure they're better than others, but I can only say one bad thing about the new Obergs - I like the old ones better.

The quickest way to learn is to file everything square. Just keep doing it and you'll get proficient at it. If you only do one chain out of 5 it will take a lot longer to learn.

I recommend if anyone is learning to file square (which is the best method IMO) that you use Oregon chain, it is much softer and with the expense of files and the fact that Stihl chain will wear out a file must faster. I use Stihl, but I grind and then touch up when needed with a file.

I recommend if anyone is learning to file square (which is the best method IMO) that you use Oregon chain, it is much softer and with the expense of files and the fact that Stihl chain will wear out a file must faster. I use Stihl, but I grind and then touch up when needed with a file.

Thanks for the tip, never heard it put that way or thought about it. Makes a lot of sense though.

With all of the talk of square chain and running a few loops of it... I'm nervous but anxious to try to learn square filing for myself.

Thanks for the tip, never heard it put that way or thought about it. Makes a lot of sense though.

With all of the talk of square chain and running a few loops of it... I'm nervous but anxious to try to learn square filing for myself.

Your welcome. Also, if you buy a new loop of square, it is much easier to learn by following the factory angles than it is trying to make angles out of a square chain that has been round filed.

Your welcome. Also, if you buy a new loop of square, it is much easier to learn by following the factory angles than it is trying to make angles out of a square chain that has been round filed.

Guess my next round of ordering chain will include square only then....time to get serious on chain.

Guess my next round of ordering chain will include square only then....time to get serious on chain.

I built these for square filing and tunneling.
4e8ajure.jpg

2edyqu5y.jpg

Hedge has one.

Back