Thinking of trying amsoil saber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Slamm'..(member here) is a high production everyday professional woodcutter...

He uses it exclusively in all his saws...and has had NO problems...runs it at 50:1.

He has also said that if he happens to be running low on the oil..he mixes it 60:1 or even 70:1.

I'm gonna try it whenever I get somewhere close to the only dealer in my area..!!

I will try it in some small 2-strokes I have first..like my Poulans..Echo trimmer..leaf blower..etc.

Price is sure right..about $11 for a full quart..!!
:cheers:
J2F

A few more pictures would have bee nice in their promo. I would like to see closeups of the cylinders, inside and the ports, then extreme closeups of piston ring wear, and also the sparkplugs. They could have gone further and shown and measured the bearings as well. All sorts of stuff gets lubed by the mix or is effected by the mix in some way. How about inside the carbs?

Either way, all the saws were still running and working. Yes, the amsoil looked cleaner.

Pretty much all newer syn oils with a JASO FD rating are good enough, although being able to run at 100:1 is spiffy from an economics standpoint making up your mix.

I use Amsoil Dominator at 40:1 mixed with 100LL Avgas. I don't put thousands of hours on my saws, but never burned anything up. One really nice feature about this mix is that it has virtually no smoke. To me that means that the mix is burning clean, so there are no carbon buildups occurring in the saw. We always used Dominator in our 2-stroke snowmobiles, because if your sled smokes a lot it is really annoying when riding behind. The oil runs really clean in the sleds as well.

Most of my saws were originally designed to run much higher mixes, so the 40:1 does not foul the plugs or anything either.

I have a 25 buck gift card to napa auto. they sell the amsoil saber, I need to try some. Is the ratio rite measuring container the best to make sure you get the correct amount of oil? Thanks

Here is a vid I took yesterday of two older Macs running my mix. First time either saw has seen this mix. They both are running a bit rich, yet no smoke whatsoever.

[video=youtube;dWGhrBDRJ4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWGhrBDRJ4E[/video]

One of the guys I saw with has 3 years on a ported 460 that's been run only on Saber at 80:1. Saw still runs strong. Seems to work just fine.

Never have figured out why a guy would spend upwards $1000 dollars or more for a saw then get frugal and save an ounce of mix per gallon of fuel.

Me neither but maybe it's the same reasoning people use when filling up Porsches with no-name regular gas.

I started out using Sabre at 16-1 in my 40s,50s, and 60s relics and have been using a ratio of 32-1 for the past year with no problems. I may one day get to 50-1 and I expect it would work fine, but I'm certain I'd never go beyond that.
Igpoe:cheers:

It is very good oil run it at 50:1 and saws are clean as a whistle and no scuffing on skirts what so ever.

Some folks don't like Amsoil's marketing, but the products I've used seem to be very high quality.

Not chainsaws, but an example. Evinrude sells xd30, xd50, xd100 oil than can be used in ETEC outboards. If you use the 100 exclusively you can take the outboard to the dealer and they will change the oil injection system to use less oil. Amsoil just approved their HP for use at the xd 100 setting. I thought about it, but no thanks. I use the HP Amsoil but at the regular setting in my fishing rig.

Amsoil used to sell littlle packets of Sabre to mix with 1 gallon of gas. The packets contained 1.5 ounces of oil, which is 85 to 1. When you are dealing with tenths of an ounce of oil, I think it would be easy to get say, 120 to 1 if a minute amount of oil stuck to your measuring container or your eyeball was off that day.

Long story short, the folks who are telling you to go ahead and run it but at a ratio closer to 50 to 1 are giving you good advice.

I am runnng 100:1 in my stihl saw, shindaiwa blowers and eacho trimmers. Works fine for me.

Never have figured out why a guy would spend upwards $1000 dollars or more for a saw then get frugal and save an ounce of mix per gallon of fuel.

In the case of my cutting partner, 25 years worth of mix oil does add up. And retirement's a few years away for him yet....more like another 16 years. Anyways, works for him, and his saws do run nice....wickedly sharp chain he files..... Good oil nonetheless.

I've been using Amsoil Saber Pro for a few years now. As has been mentioned one of the nice features of it is it's clean burning property. There is hardly any smoke from this oil. Run it in every saw now and have had no problems so far. Seems to be working fine. Was going to switch to Poulan Synthetic because it's closer at Wally World but have a dealer of the Amsoil about 10 miles away. $10.75 a Qt. Mix 3 oz to a gallon.

Amsoil

Yes I also have been using this potion since the mid 90"s.All at 40/1.Funny this topic came about.Last week I had pulled the muffler off my Stihl 55 weed eater.I bought it new and have run it hard from the first day I bought it.I use this thing as a blower to remove grass clipping from the side walk.With the string is at the widest the trimmer will allow and I have the trigger pegged.The engine is spinning very high. At times I can here the rev limiter kicking in.Anyway, I pulled the muffler and looked inside.The piston did not have a scratch on it, the cylinder was immaculate.I should mention that I do allow it to cool down prior to shutting it off, sort of avoiding thermal shock.Anyway,I think this is an excellent product and will continue to use it in all my saws and weed-eater at 40/1. Ken

Latest posts

Back