This ain't no joke!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rigging and wood were heavy, and the people were light and tough back then. :)

I've got a real good story about those same grandparents. They bought a cafe/saloon after they retired from logging and one day a member of the local chapter of the Hell's Angels tried to ride his bike in through the front door. My grandpa chased him out there and off the property with a tire iron and a 30-06.

Nice! Gota like that.

The rigging and wood were heavy, and the people were light and tough back then. :)

I've got a real good story about those same grandparents. They bought a cafe/saloon after they retired from logging and one day a member of the local chapter of the Hell's Angels tried to ride his bike in through the front door. My grandpa chased him out there and off the property with a tire iron and a 30-06.

That is just awsome. We've dealt with them just a few times and they pretty much only understand firepower and the will to use it. Your grandpa had a pair for sure.

Mr. HE:cool:

Brad, that saw seems to be running real nice. The new owner is going to enjoy running it.

Mr. HE:cool:

I cut timber for two years with a 288 that was missing all of the cooling fins on the PTO side and I never had a problem with that saw. It had about 1400 hours on that cylinder and still ran strong when I gave it a firewood cutter.

Well who would of thought, I thought this cyl was trash. :)

DSCF2620.jpg

Great Vids Brad.

CS millers should note the significant change in chip deflection that squirts the chips away from the millers feet. Standard clutch covers and chip deflectors result in CS operators wading through or walking over more and more chips chips as they mill the log. As the log is milled the operator has to walk over more chips meaning that unless the log is lifted the operator has to bend over even further to use a CS mill.

Just pulling the chip deflector out of the clutch cover is not really a long term solution because after a while the chips will abrade the back of the alloy cover

On my 880 milling saw I have lined the custom clutch cover with a replaceable 1/4" white polyethylene liner which directs the chips backward (and the modded exhaust pipe then blows the chips even further away from the operator).

Well im sure the new owner will be very happy with it even with the broken fins!!!:)

I'd reckon there's a fair old safety factor built into the surface area/cooling of a saw as they have to perform in 100*F plus conditions with 90% humidity with half the finning blocked with chips and dust in the tropics.

A mate lent me his 032AV a few years back when my old Mac went belly up and I gave it a complete service when it went back to him.
He isn't mechanically minded at all but he usually keeps things nice and clean and blows things out reasonably regularly, without pulling things apart (he doesn't know how) but when I popped the covers off it took a fair old effort to get the oil soaked, baked on sawdust out of all the fins and channels. It was pretty well blocked up and it had been cutting tough old Aussie hardwood all it's life, which is nearly as bad as milling and it still ran like a top :laugh:

Latest posts

Back